Aero bike vs. Aero wheels
    RoadBikeReview Member

Aero bike vs. Aero wheels

I'm considering one of the newer, more aero frames such as the Cervelo SLC-SL or the Felt AR. I'm trying to build up a mor aerodynamic bike for riding solo in the flats by myself. I'm going to put some deeper carbon wheels on it like Zipp 404 or Edge 1.68. I was wondering how much of a difference it would make to simply put aero wheels on my current bike (traditional custom ti). About what percent of the benefits of a more aero bike can be attributed to the wheels vs. the frame? Anybody know or have first hand experience with this?

If I can just get a nice pair of deep carbon wheels for my current bike and get most of the benefits, then I'd be psyched. It would save me the whole new bike thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tyro
    About what percent of the benefits of a more aero bike can be attributed to the wheels vs. the frame?
    There's data over at slowtwitch.com The drag reduction from a good frame is about equal to that from a good set of aero wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Asgelle is right. An aero frame and a set of aero wheels have about the same savings, but if I understood you correctly, you're riding a traditional road setup. The major advantage of a tri bike is that you can go on aerobars, and the geometry allows you to be more stable in that position. Rumor has it that an aerobar setup can save you about 6 minutes over the course of a 40K, which is some serious savings. Slowtwitch is pretty good on those.