For all the technically minded.
    Devoid of all flim-flam

For all the technically minded.

I need to know. If there were a study that said padded cycling shorts only damped road bumps & vibration by a half a percent, would you quit wearing padded cycling shorts? Would you declare them a sham? Would you declare them a sham if the improvement were 2.5%? Would you declare cycling shorts a sham if a study showed that a pair of baggy, unpadded, flapping cargo shorts were only 2.5% less aerodynamic?
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    No.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    kind of missing the point I think. It's not about vibration reduction or aerodynamics (at least not mostly). Chamois is there to combat chafing not vibration. Lycra is tight for wicking sweat away and provide cooling - aerodynamics is a side effect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First off... aero aside I like the compression benefits of lycra as well. I wear lycra under shorts when I work out at the gym. The moisture wicking is also a nice benefit. Back in my trail riding days I always struggled to find a pair of shorts that didn't bunch up or become a bother at some point during a long ride.

Now as far as chamois go, I don't find that they absorb vibration or dampen bumps. To me they make my saddle a hospitable place to rest my rear for a days worth of work. Now some work better than others. I haven't found any of the newer neoprene chamios to my liking. My favorite is a pair of Team Navigator shorts I picked up from the team at a swap meet. They have a super simple chamois. It has a foam pad in between the legs and the top of the crotch it has a sweat absorbing pad that is made like they make wrist bands. I want to try some high end Assos bibs, I've heard really nice things about them.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker
    kind of missing the point I think. It's not about vibration reduction or aerodynamics (at least not mostly). Chamois is there to combat chafing not vibration. Lycra is tight for wicking sweat away and provide cooling - aerodynamics is a side effect.
    I think everyone that's responded so far has missed the point. Look up the definitions for sarcasm, pointed question.......

Call me a Fred
    Yes, I would definitely start cycling naked.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Add 'em up and it could mean 3 minutes on a one hour ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapei
    Would you declare them a sham if the improvement were 2.5%? Would you declare cycling shorts a sham if a study showed that a pair of baggy, unpadded, flapping cargo shorts were only 2.5% less aerodynamic?
    Besides, a sham is something you put on a pillow. Bike shorts would look dumber on pillows than they do on people.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.