Another wheel question - Nimble
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Question Another wheel question - Nimble

I lurk here and syphon knowledge from you folks often. Guess what?? here I am again looking for some educated opinions. I am upgrading wheels this year. I am trying to get the best of both worlds in a race day only wheel, with something that is light and maybe even aero. I have a list of wheels I am currently considering. I'm about 155-160 lbs, am pretty much a spinner, but do require some stiffness for sprints and occasional crits. I do mostly road races and like the hills. To further complicate the issue............Anyone know about Nimble Wheels? any other wheels I should consider? I know the costs are all over the map.

The following are on the list:-

REYNOLDS Stratus DV Tubular 16f +20r 1250g 46mm rim full carbon

ZIPP 303 Tubular 20f + 28r 1124g 38mm rim full carbon

Hugi hubs/Velocity Razor rims w/ sapim x-rays 24f + 28r 21/23mm alum rim
    1430g (clinchers)

I have been racing on year 2000 Ksyriums 18f+20r at about 1664g. I am guessing that I will feel a significant difference in even the least expensive Hugi/velocity option.

Thanks

May 2002
    If Reynolds are on your list, no need to look any further. The rest is peanuts compared to them.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by divve
    If Reynolds are on your list, no need to look any further. The rest is peanuts compared to them.
    I agree- if you can cut the big boy check to get them, the Reynolds are the way to go.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Jun 2003
    first let me say that i have no experience with "road stuff" but i just built up a very light
    wheelset in December for comparitively nothing. the IRD Cadence rims weighed 374g/24hole and 367g/28hole. Not bad for semi-aero aluminum clinchers with eyelets!
    However, i have no idea about all the aerodynamic/tubular/clincher blah-blah considerations

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peros
    Anyone know about Nimble Wheels? any other wheels I should consider?
    I have asked the same question /Nimble claims to be THE best aero set, better then HED/ and John Cobb told they've tested them and they're very good. However it wasn't good in crosswinds and he recommends HED. Don't know how much you'd put into it taking into consideration that Cobb is a dealer for HED not for Nimble if there's any diff it must be insignificant, otherwise LA would ride them ;). For crits and bunch sprints I'd stay away from deep aero front wheel.
    Last edited by CycloPathic; 02-19-2004 at 05:15 AM.
    Always Look At the Bright Side of Life Monty Python, Life of Brian

rock n rolling resistance

Just got my DVs yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by peros
    I lurk here and syphon knowledge from you folks often. Guess what?? here I am again looking for some educated opinions. I am upgrading wheels this year. I am trying to get the best of both worlds in a race day only wheel, with something that is light and maybe even aero. I have a list of wheels I am currently considering. I'm about 155-160 lbs, am pretty much a spinner, but do require some stiffness for sprints and occasional crits. I do mostly road races and like the hills. To further complicate the issue............Anyone know about Nimble Wheels? any other wheels I should consider? I know the costs are all over the map.

The following are on the list:-

REYNOLDS Stratus DV Tubular 16f +20r 1250g 46mm rim full carbon

ZIPP 303 Tubular 20f + 28r 1124g 38mm rim full carbon

Hugi hubs/Velocity Razor rims w/ sapim x-rays 24f + 28r 21/23mm alum rim
    1430g (clinchers)

I have been racing on year 2000 Ksyriums 18f+20r at about 1664g. I am guessing that I will feel a significant difference in even the least expensive Hugi/velocity option.

Thanks
    Since I haven't test rode them yet I couldn't give you the ride quality feedback or any of such. I got them from my lbs at a good deal and he threw in a pair of Conti Competition tubulars although I had pay him 100 for this pair of Ti skewers that looks like they are made out by welding straight gauge ti rod pieces. Cool looking and weighs nothing but don't know who made them though(he can't remember.) Anyone know who made these ti skewers?

Anyway back to DVs, compared to my Hyperons, DVs don't look as carbon pretty since there is no carbon fiber weave showing and no clear coating. Actually they look quite crude compared to Hyperons with the stickered decals and all; looks handmade compared to impeccable looking grossy Hyperons. It's obvious that they weren't too concerned about making their wheels pretty which tells you something. This may sound contradictory but I like the way my DVs look especially with those ti skewers.

A side from the looks these wheels are solid and of course ultra light. When I bounce the wheels I can tell how these DV's are just rock solid. I don't have the official weight of these wheels but DV front wheel is wee bit lighter than Hyperon frt but the DV rear is slightly heavier; this is just my observation from handling them and not from actually weigh them.

What I can say is DVs are for sure rock solid ultralight working wheels. BTW those White Industry hubs are pretty loud. If you are used to Mavic K's I think you'll have to get used to it. I thought of Corima aeros as well but the deal I got and the general concensus is that you can't go wrong with the Reynold DVs. Probably none of this is what you wanted to hear but I hope this helped a little.
    Last edited by 6was9; 02-18-2004 at 06:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Thanks, for those of you that...

Ride Reynolds Stratus wheels.
    How long have you been on them? What do you weigh? how's the breaking in the dry? in the wet? Do they ride harshly? Ever get noticable wheel flex in when jumping or sprinting?

These will be race day only wheels, but hey if your droppoing that kind of coin, you gotta ask these questions.

Thanks for all you feedback.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    I have owned and raced Reynolds, Zipps and Nimbles. The Reynolds are by far the best choice. The Zipps are fast wheels but after a teammate and I destroyed 6 sets I gave up on them. The Nimbles were ok for time trials but not so good for crits (mostly what i do). The Reynolds are great wheels light, areo and rock solid.

lyleseven
    Nov 2002

Cool Hugi/Velocity is my vote because I would buy clinchers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFreddy
    I have owned and raced Reynolds, Zipps and Nimbles. The Reynolds are by far the best choice. The Zipps are fast wheels but after a teammate and I destroyed 6 sets I gave up on them. The Nimbles were ok for time trials but not so good for crits (mostly what i do). The Reynolds are great wheels light, areo and rock solid.

also,I have a set of Speedcifics with Sapim spokes and
    Venus rims and they are awesome and under $400

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ridden a set of Nimble Crosswinds for 5 years as my everyday wheels without any problems. They weigh about 1550 grams for tubulars and are very responsive. The only compitetion would be the HED3 which has the valvestem in a cutout in a spoke. Any of the deep dish wheels will be somewhat affected by crosswinds so I don't see any difference between them.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

Jun 2003
    [QUOTE=JimP] the HED3 which has the valvestem in a cutout in a spoke.QUOTE]
    why? more aerodynamic?

flinty-eyed moderator

Post New review on cyclingnews

Speak of the devil, here is a review hot off the presses:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...atus_dv_wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=joe friday]
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP
    the HED3 which has the valvestem in a cutout in a spoke.QUOTE]
    why? more aerodynamic?
    I suppose that is the rationale; however, to be more aerodynamic, the hole would have to be covered. I have seen some time trialists who did cover the hole in the spoke or disk with a sticky label but that is extreme in my mind. The Nimble explanation for having the valve stem immediately behind a spoke is that it is in the slipstream of the spoke and they didn't have to beef up the spoke to cut a hole in it.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX