any happy/unhappy Brooks saddle owners out there?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

any happy/unhappy Brooks saddle owners out there?

I've been fiddling with my SI Pro Link and it still is far from comfortable. When it feels better on the sit bones, the boys have a tendency to go numb.

Been looking to other saddles; Aliante k;ium, SI Max Flite, and the Brooks B17. I know YMMV when it comes to saddles. But, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of satisfied Brooks owners out there. Weight for the saddle is not an issue for me. I'm a clydesdale so I can skip a slice of pizza to negate the few hundred gram premium of a Brooks. Besides there always is the ti railed Brooks', albeit pretty expensive. But how can you put a value on your arse?

I'm thinking black with the silver rivets would look cool on my black carbon frame. any happy owners out there?

Moderatus Puisne
    I'm a big fan of my B17. Came stock on my new bike, I'd never ridden a Brooks before, and, wow, this is a great saddle. I wouldn't race on it, but besides that, it's a winner! No interest in replacing it with a "modern" saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    yes the b17 is great, buy one today!

Frog Whisperer
    I've got 2 B-17 narrow
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am 75 miles into my BROOK Swift on my FGSS. I love it. Hard as heel the first 10 miles but it's getting better and better.

Personally, I would never run one of a modern CF bike. But that's me and I am happy with my other saddle.

if you wnat to try one, get it at wallbike.com 6 month trial on them. If you don't like one model, then switch.

You currect saddle might be fine as well. Have you checked your seat height?
    Ther are also plemty of GREAT saddles out there.

Just let us know what you want in a saddle shape and width wise.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    +1 What dirtboy said... Wallbike is hard to beat.... My butt prefers a
    B17 standard and a Swift..
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Frog Whisperer
    my butt would like a swift too....but my wallet likes the B-17 N
    Dave, funny you use the B-17 and swift....the B-17 N is the same width and length as the Swift but a bit flatter, like the B-17 (152mm compared to the 170 on the standard)...you gotta get an N...try it you'll like it........

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I know but for some reason the narrow doesn't work for me.. The Swift does but the narrow nope...I can't explain it... the B17 is the best for me
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

Frog Whisperer
    must be the more rounded top on the Swift....maybe I best not order one....specially since I would need another bike to put it on!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    It might be...when you look at the indentations on the Swift, they are on the outer edge of the saddle but it works...Being a relatively small guy I assumed I had narrow sit bones....wrong.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

Frog Whisperer
    gotta be the shape of that rear "horseshoe"....really the only difference.

Jan 2004
    I have B17s on three bikes, and I don't plan to change ever. They're apparently not for everybody, though: I got one of mine from a friend who hated it and swapped it to me for a Starbuck's gift card with $12 left on it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    I have B17s on three bikes, and I don't plan to change ever. They're apparently not for everybody, though: I got one of mine from a friend who hated it and swapped it to me for a Starbuck's gift card with $12 left on it.
    give ya 25 for it....double your money................

What it is

Count me happy

I've got a Brooks B17 (Champion Special) on my road bike and my mountain bike. They were hard for the first 10 miles or so and then that was it. I can ride them for many hours at a time and they still feel comfortable. I don't worry about the weight. I am not a racer. I like being able to spend long times in the saddle.

The one difference in feel from modern saddles is that the B17 nose is (or seems) short but it seems to me that sliding forward on the nose of a modern saddle puts more pressure on the perineum and that would make numbness more likely.

I bought my saddles from http://www.wallbike.com also because of the 6-month guarantee. I bought proofide at the same time. I don't know whether this contributed to the softening or not but I wanted to protect the leather.

Ken

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    struggled with a B17 for about 1000 'miles'

adjusted it every possible way but couldnt get it to work for me

had to change it out, now on a fizik arione and im fine

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    struggled with a B17 for about 1000 'miles'

adjusted it every possible way but couldnt get it to work for me

had to change it out, now on a fizik arione and im fine
    gotta say....1000 miles...fair enough test....if you still didn't like it switching was a good call!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am very happy with my Brooks Swift, Team Pro and B-68. My first ride with the Swift was a 200k brevet, and I liked it from the start. The Team Pro was a bit harder to break in, but I think I like it even more now. The B-68 is an unsprung version of a [email protected] upright saddle that I like on my urban-style Breezer bike. Count me in the Happy Club. Oh, and I had a second-hand B-17N that got me started on Brooks saddles, but it finally gave-up the ghost after a long & full life...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    yeah i gave it a good shot to come good but it just didnt work

i wouldnt say i am an unhappy brooks customer, they are a very good saddle

just didnt agree with my rear, they obviously work for a whole lot of people

the only thing i actually disliked was the whole rain situation, i treated mine correctly per the documentation (still have the spanner and proofide if anyone wants it) but after one relatively short wet commute the saddle was distinctly damaged by the rain (nothing major but it was obviously not designed for wet weather). i wasnt over the moon about that but the bottom line was it didnt fit anyway so no big deal

RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer the B-17 myself, but it does have limitations, e.g., the saddle and bars should be roughly level, and no rain. However, I have a sportive light touring bicycle, and I don't ride in the rain, so the limitations don't affect me.

Two wheels=freedom!
    Sep 2003
    Got my B17 based on what I read here and cannot believe how great it is! It was the most comfortable saddle I've ever had right out of the box and just gets better and better every ride. Bought it at Bikeisland along with a tin of Proofhide. Started with a B17 to see if a Brooks would work for me, and I'm now waiting for my Team Pro Ti... I'll move the B17 onto one of my other rides when the Team Pro shows up. I'm a convert.

Roadbike Rider

I ride the Pro

I have two bikes with a Brooks Pro, a fixed gear bike and a winter bike. One saddle is over 30 years old and used to be my Dad's. They are surprisingly comfortable and a nice change from the Specialized Taupe on my main ride
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

Festina Lente'
    2 B17's.

I will never buy another saddle.

nK
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Downhill Juggernaut
    Two Team Pro's and a Swift with Ti rails on another. Love these saddles. Swift is my favorite,all day comfort right there.

A friend is a Brooks convert as well. He as two B17's and his Dura Ace/ Carbon Fiber race bike has a Swallow on it. That bike still weighs a hair under 18 pounds, with pedals and bottle cages. That Swallow is one sweet saddle.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a black Brooks B17 on my dark gray/black Trek 2100. I have posted a pic so you can see how it might look on your black carbon bike. Personally, I think it looks fine, and besides, it is covered by your backside when you are riding anyway so who cares.

As far as how it feels, personally I have about 1000 miles on mine and am getting along great with it. I rode my first century on it a few weeks back, and although my sit bones were a little sore, my boys were fine with no numbness. That is a big plus for me.

I will not claim to be a saddle expert, as the only other saddles I have tried in addition to my Brooks B17 are the stock Bontrager Race that came on my bike and the Forte Pro SLX from Performance. The Brooks is by far the most comfortable of the three. The Forte Pro SLX just about killed me after only 20 miles, so I sent it back. I thought the stock Bontrager Race was actually not too bad and I rode it for a few hundred miles at the beginning of this season, but it is not as comfortable as the B17, especially on longer rides. I would certainly give the Brooks a try.

Later,

Jay B.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Treker
    'It is a good day to ride."

Mar 2008
    I'm in both the happy and unhappy camp. I got my first Brooks a couple months ago. It's a Team Pro. I put about 500 miles on it and it just never got comfortable. I know Team Pros are supposed to take a while to break in, but shouldn't 500 miles be enough?

Anyway, I given up on the Team Pro for now and switched to a B17. The B17 felt great immediately. I haven't done a ride of more than 50 miles on it yet, but I've been doing my daily 15 mile commute on it for about a month and I have no complaints. Too bad the Team Pro didn't work for me because it truly is a thing of beauty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast