banned
    Nov 2009

Any others into learning about what we eat everyday?

The more I read and talk to people I can see why some tend to throw up their arms out of frustration!

I’m becoming very cautious when I see a food that is touted as being very healthy, such as cherries 🍒 that may help lower inflammation, I wonder if that is the cherry industrial machine pushing it on us ?

Definitely gonna cross reference all info from now on!

Remember the long running ad “milk does a body good”?

Does it really or is it fairly high in sugars?

So many others I could list.

There are the obvious ones like deep fried anything, anything that’s processed and sugars and artificial anything.

It is a very deep rabbit hole!

banned
    Sep 2015
    You came to the right place.

I am an expert on cherries!

PS: when Johnny Mac was no.1 in the tennis world, he was said to live on McDonalds taking a page out of our president's diet and we all know he is the picture of health except that jowl is a bit concerning.
    Also Michael Phelps is said to eat whatever he likes and he prefers pizza.
    Last edited by 11spd; 6 Days Ago at 06:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    The more I read and talk to people I can see why some tend to throw up ...
    You had me at "throw up"
    Last edited by AlanE; 6 Days Ago at 11:36 AM.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    You came to the right place.

I am an expert on cherries!

PS: when Johnny Mac was no.1 in the tennis world, he was said to live on McDonalds taking a page out of our president's diet and we all know he is the picture of health except that jowl is a bit concerning.
    Also Michael Phelps is said to eat whatever he likes and he prefers pizza.
    I know people like taht, eat anything and still accel.

others, like me are searching for foods that won't put extra stress on the body.

Lotsa bad stuff out there for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I used to track what I ate and also researched what was healthy or not. It often ended in a lot of confusion. By the time I had adjusted my diet to what I thought was good, new news came out and said it was bad and I should be doing something else.

I stopped chasing, and basically just try to minimize the amount of industrial scale processes being done on the food I eat and eat a large variety of things. I don't get too hung up on it any more and it leaves a lot of time for other things, like finding the best chain lube. My main issue is breaking a 32 year habit/tendency toward eating out of boredom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    just try to minimize the amount of industrial scale processes being done on the food I eat and eat a large variety of things. I don't get too hung up on it any more and it leaves a lot of time for other things, like finding the best chain lube.
    Same here. If I was really worried about my diet I'd quit drinking. That said, my wife and I love to cook and garden. We're also friends with elk hunters. That all helps minimize the amount of junk we eat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I only eat heavily salted deep fried foods and my resting heart rate is 98bpm. I couldn't feel healthier.

Now excuse me, it's time for my nap.
    Too old to ride plastic

Darling of The Lounge
    Sort of funny observation on diet:

My wife and I finally moved out of California, and in the process of selling the house. As required, the septic system has to be pumped, inspected and certified when sold. The inspector our agent hired accessed the spectic tank, looked at the contents and made a comment. The septic guy said he could tell we didn't eat much processed foods. He also asked us if the system was recently pumped. It hadn't been touched in 4 years. He was somewhat taken aback by the quality of our poop and low level of output.

I guess the lesson here is a good diet and staying away from the processed stuff keeps your body and septic system in good working order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    od diet and staying away from the processed stuff keeps your body and septic system in good working order.
    That's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if processed and preserved foods cause the waste to degrade more slowly.

gazing from the shadows
    Some advice is too simple to follow. Like, ride more;eat less.

Eat a variety of foods, from the perimeter of the store, and avoid processed foods (mostly, because Food Fascists are very annoying).

If you want to avoid pesticides and herbicides, go organic. Buy from a farmer's market if you can, and ask the sellers about how they grown things. Or at least know the dirty dozen, and eat fewer of those (or spend for organic on those) https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...des/502096002/

Oh, and know this. Food scientists, the kind that develop new snack foods, NEVER eat what they develop. There is a reason for that.

As for the cherry thing, first keep in mind it is TART cherries, not just cherries. Second, in almost every case the "miracle foods" don't seem so miraculous when tested by science 1) on large samples and 2) over time. The placebo effect is strong.

Eat a variety of real food. Too simple to follow.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

He was somewhat taken aback by the quality of our poop and low level of output.

Words never before posted on the internet.... ANYWHERE

1: we all gotta eat
    2: no one gets out alive

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Some advice is too simple to follow. Like, ride more;eat less.

Eat a variety of foods, from the perimeter of the store, and avoid processed foods (mostly, because Food Fascists are very annoying).

If you want to avoid pesticides and herbicides, go organic. Buy from a farmer's market if you can, and ask the sellers about how they grown things. Or at least know the dirty dozen, and eat fewer of those (or spend for organic on those) https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...des/502096002/

Oh, and know this. Food scientists, the kind that develop new snack foods, NEVER eat what they develop. There is a reason for that.

As for the cherry thing, first keep in mind it is TART cherries, not just cherries. Second, in almost every case the "miracle foods" don't seem so miraculous when tested by science 1) on large samples and 2) over time. The placebo effect is strong.

Re "miracle foods," it's difficult to parse out the effect of a single food on peoples' diets, since there are so very many other variables at play, even for foods we're otherwise convinced are healthful and beneficial.

I like Marion Nestle's addenda on what to eat: Probably nothing your grandmother wouldn't recognize, or things that have more than, say, seven ingredients in their content.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Wonder how long it will be before the word "vegan" makes appearance here...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Re "miracle foods," it's difficult to parse out the effect of a single food on peoples' diets, since there are so very many other variables at play, even for foods we're otherwise convinced are healthful and beneficial.

I like Marion Nestle's addenda on what to eat: Probably nothing your grandmother wouldn't recognize, or things that have more than, say, seven ingredients in their content.
    I read an article a few years back that talked about a study that was done years ago about heart disease (I think) in the US whose conclusion kind of started the food marketing stuff we see today where single macronutrients are condemned or put on a pedestal. Oversimplified, I think the study basically recommended eating less animal fats. I believe the article was originally in the NY Times.

Anyway, the article talked about the complex interactions between chemicals in food and our bodies that we have adapted to over long periods of time, and that it's difficult if not impossible to define and predict all these interactions. The take I got from the article was to eat a variety of foods and minimize processing. The explanations behind how our food market works today were interesting. I did no fact checking to confirm their truth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    it's entertaining to observe an omnivore species pretend be something else
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    That's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if processed and preserved foods cause the waste to degrade more slowly.
    Interesting concept. Processed food gives you well preserved poop? There could also be other factors. If you use a lot of products containing bleach or other chemicals that kill microbes, that can cause your septic contents to decompose much slower.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    ^This.^
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    it's entertaining to observe an omnivore species pretend be something else
    Only omnivores can pull this off.

Proud luddite
    You could be like Durian Rider (is that his name?) and eat 30 bananas a day. 🤮

a real member's member
    i can eat fifty eggs.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i can eat fifty eggs.
    Don't laugh. See below:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...99103283241306

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    i can eat fifty eggs.

That's a bet.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post