Anyone here doing Maratona dles Dolomites?
    merckxman
    Jan 2002

Anyone here doing Maratona dles Dolomites?

gastarbeiter

just found your post. yep, i'll be there.

it'll be my second time.

a friend talked me into it last year. hated him all last spring as work took too much time off the bike, and i got stressed that i wouldn't be in good enough shape to do it.

in the end my fitness was fine, the ride amazing, my time OK (rode it conservatively - it's tough to train for the high mountains when you live in the netherlands )

it's an amazing organization considering the scale. not without it's minor hiccups (long wait to start if you're a 1st timer, running out of water at a feed station, so you got a sports drink). you really can't complain though, there's 8,000 people there.

the same friend now has me down for the etappe de tour right after it. glad i have a new bike, i'm going to need all of the help i can

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Quote Originally Posted by merckxman
    Last edited by botto; 01-12-2006 at 04:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately not; I did it last year when I was living in Rome, but I'm back in the US now... FANTASTIC race, truly exceptional organization and of course stunning surroundings. FYI, the Granfondo Campagnolo, which is also held in the Dolomites, is actually a harder race, passes through some equally amazing scenery, and has fewer people (I assume the Maratona is full now; it usually fills up within a month of opeining registration). In the end I think I enjoyed the Campagnolo more (in retrospect) because it was SO HARD; the Passo Manghen climb is a real absurdity.
    Anyway, have a great time, I'm jealous!

gastarbeiter

apart from the longer distance & smaller field what's different

it was passa giau that did my head in. 10 kms of relentless climbing with no shelter from the sun. passa falzerego seemed like a walk i the park after it

you're right about the maratona being full. it usually fills up within a day or two when they open for registration.

when is the granfondo campagnolo btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Americano_a_Roma
    Unfortunately not; I did it last year when I was living in Rome, but I'm back in the US now... FANTASTIC race, truly exceptional organization and of course stunning surroundings. FYI, the Granfondo Campagnolo, which is also held in the Dolomites, is actually a harder race, passes through some equally amazing scenery, and has fewer people (I assume the Maratona is full now; it usually fills up within a month of opeining registration). In the end I think I enjoyed the Campagnolo more (in retrospect) because it was SO HARD; the Passo Manghen climb is a real absurdity.
    Anyway, have a great time, I'm jealous!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The killer thing about the GF Campagnolo (june 18 2006) is that the climbs are LOOOOOONG. There are only four of them, but they really really hurt; the second is the Passo Mangen, which gains 1600 meters over 24 kilometers, the last 10 of which never drop below 10%, and tops out over 2000 meters. It's also over 200 kms, about the longest in Italy with the possible exception of the Nove Colli (which I also did last year). Weather can also be a factor; my friends who did it in 2004 said it was snowing going over the passes. I think the Campagnolo was probably the most beautiful and satisfying day I've spent on the bike, ever, though!

merckxman
    Jan 2002

New Granfondo: Dolomiti Stars May 28th

There is a new granfondo in the Dolomites this year, "Dolomiti Stars". It's going to be the same route the pros ride in the Giro the day before (or two days before). It's sponsored by Gazetta dello Sport.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Wanderer

No Dice...

Quote Originally Posted by merckxman
    I wish...I put my name in the lottery, but my name wasn't picked. I was sent an offer to pay 300 euros for a slot (most goes to charity), but too steep for me. So instead, I'm riding in the Criterium Veneto http://www.criteriumveneto.it/. It includes 5 Gran Fondos (one being the Campagnolo, the Pinarello another). Might check out the Dolomiti Stars if I think I'll have the energy before the Campagnolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Thumbs up Would you like to ride in the Maratona in 2006?

The Maratona is going to be fantastic!
    My legs burn just thinking about it.
    Granfondo Cycling Tours www.GFtours.com
    has 2 spots left on thier Maratona Tour.
    They also go to the Granfondo Campagnolo, Pinarello, and Cinque Terre.
    I plan on riding in all of these this year!
    Of Course I do work for the company.

The Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by GranfondoGirl
    The Maratona is going to be fantastic!
    My legs burn just thinking about it.
    Granfondo Cycling Tours www.GFtours.com
    has 2 spots left on thier Maratona Tour.
    They also go to the Granfondo Campagnolo, Pinarello, and Cinque Terre.
    I plan on riding in all of these this year!
    Of Course I do work for the company.
    Looks like a great cycling package. To bad for me though...I'm already in Italy and just need a race slot and a hotel for the week-end. If somebody has the time, jump on one of the package slots. I'm sure it would be a wonderful experience.