Anyone know anything about cycling teams in Cent. Am. and Cuba

Oct 2002

Anyone know anything about cycling teams in Cent. Am. and Cuba

First post on new board let's see how this works...

I posted a while back about my plans to travel after I finish school from Sept.-Dec. At the time, I was pretty well set on Africa, and while my heart still wants to take me there, I really have a strong desire to learn Spanish. I am looking at spending 2 months in both Costa Rica and Cuba if possible. I have ruled out Spain, in part because it's Europe, and it is more expensive than Central America or Cuba. Anyway, what I'm here to ask about is I know that there are lots of cycling teams that race, and therefore train, in Central America or Northern South America (i.e. Colombian). Do any of you know which cities these teams are based out of, or by god, have some contact information? I am taking my bike and will be traveling to all locations in country via bike, and it would be great if I could meet up and ride with some pros while they are getting their base miles in during the off-season. At that point in the season they should all be pretty well cooked from the season and after taking a little time off will be getting those LSD rides in, which I might have a shot at hanging the back of. In any case, even if I don't, its ok, as one of my goals for the trip is to get good and lost at some point, and just not worry about it. I'll make it back to my stuff in a couple days :-) If you have any ideas or suggestions let me know?

Thanks

Oct 2002
    Although Costa Rica is home to a number of regional and international races including the 12 day Vuelta a Costa Rica in December, the road system is VERY inhospitable to road cycling. The major highways are death traps for bikers and the secondary roads are in very poor shape. I don't know about Cuba, but I'm pretty sure the rest of Central America is worse. I don't know where local pros train, but I suspect it's elsewhere.

On the other hand, there are plenty of great places to mountain bike. As far as learning Spanish goes, there are many programs available of varying length. Some include stays with a local family for a total immersion experience.

Unless you want to do serious race training, I can't think of many better ways of spending a couple months. Keep in mind that the rainy season is May-Oct.
    Last edited by gf99; 02-18-2004 at 04:51 AM.