anyone know differences in sidi genius 3, 4, 5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

anyone know differences in sidi genius 3, 4, 5

wondered if getting lightly used 3 or 4 version has some major innovation missing in the pricey new ones.
    thanks,
    jim

O2bfasterstrongerbetter
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcav
    wondered if getting lightly used 3 or 4 version has some major innovation missing in the pricey new ones.
    thanks,
    jim
    Between 3 and 4 they changed the ratchet mechanism and made the increment for each ratchet slightly smaller. Also they flipped the velcro direction so it lays outward on the front strap. I don't know about 5. From what I can tell the rest of the shoe is the same.
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

awesome--thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Between 3 and 4 they changed the ratchet mechanism and made the increment for each ratchet slightly smaller. Also they flipped the velcro direction so it lays outward on the front strap. I don't know about 5. From what I can tell the rest of the shoe is the same.
    appreciate you taking the time to reply

jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    The differences between the 4 and 5 are slightly different pedal mountings on the 5. If I remember right you have the capability to have a SPD mount as well as the 3 hole Look.

The two biggest advantages are the padding on the tongue, the 5 has a soft rubber around the top of the tongue where the 4 has hard plastic. In trying on both shoes today, the 5 is definately the more comfortable shoe. In addition the velcro on the 5 has plastic/rubber ridges to help secure the velcro so it doesn't slip.

I tried a size 46 and it was slightly too small for me. I have a 46.5 (Sidi's largest size) on order and should be in by Wednesday. I will post a review in the review section after several rides.

Hope this helps.

ScubaD

foz
    naranjito
    Sep 2004
    does any one know if thereīs difference in the sole height between some very old (2003) genius 2īs and this yearīs genius 5? iīm finally replacing my very worn out but comfortable shoes and canīt find any information on the sidi website or anywhere else. the new g5 has the millenium 2 sole which doesn't an adaptor plate, and my old g2 have the old adaptor plate system. iīve not found a way to accurately measure the sole thickness, and am trying to find out if there is a difference so that i can adjust my saddle height if necessary.

thanks

foz

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

hi foz, i can't directly answer but

older sidi had a "p-sole", and then i think they switched to the m-sole (for millenium i believe)

maybe you can google for more info
    jim

May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by scubad
    I tried a size 46 and it was slightly too small for me. I have a 46.5 (Sidi's largest size) on order and should be in by Wednesday. I will post a review in the review section after several rides.

Hope this helps.

ScubaD
    G5 goes all the way up to size 52. My understanding is that half sizes aren't longer but only have a slightly higher instep and roomier toe box.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Sidis come larger than 46.5

Quote Originally Posted by scubad

Hope this helps.

ScubaD

Actually, Sidi makes shoes to size 52.