Anyone riding a seriuos E bike ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    But as he said in the OP he doesn't recover as quickly as he once did. So it doesn't matter if he uses a conventional bike or an e-bike to gain his fitness he's still gonna be hammered, as he said, for a couple of days. An hour pushing one self is an hour of pushing oneself and the need for recovery is there whether an e-bike or a conventional bike, so it'll take the same couple of days.

He also said that he wants something that turns heads, which leads me to believe that it's more about the illusion of fitness than true fitness.

Like I hinted at in another post, "Mid Life Crisis".
    Yep. Been there and done that, while getting portly at age 41. Gave up the will for speed in my 60s. 10 years later, still fit as a fiddle, as one will be if he keeps riding, doesn't beat himself to a pulp, or get fat and portly. The cumulative effects of training add up over a lifetime and carry on when the furnace cools down. If an electric bike does it, sure. Just be nice to the guys on manual bikes!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-14-2019 at 03:34 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Well,as expected thereís still a lot of ignorance surrounding the E bike thing. Some answers here are true gems. But hey, the industry is NOT investing millions in e bike R&D because people know better,that for sure.
    Thatsís all folks,looking forward to show off my 8k euro Pinarello to compensate for my midlife crisis. Still cheaper than a mistress and a divorce I guess.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    "Mid Life Crisis".
    Been there, done that. I'm trying to remember what that was like.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Well,as expected thereís still a lot of ignorance surrounding the E bike thing. Some answers here are true gems. But hey, the industry is NOT investing millions in e bike R&D because people know better,that for sure.
    Thatsís all folks,looking forward to show off my 8k euro Pinarello to compensate for my midlife crisis. Still cheaper than a mistress and a divorce I guess.
    Well, there has always been money to be made in people that are looking for the easy path; fad diets and CoolSculpting being examples. That doesn't mean its a positive thing. Of course, it's you money and and can buy whatever you want. I am not so sure group rides will be all that welcoming of a high-zoot racing bike with a motor, so that may be a consideration if you are not thick skinned

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Not pertinent to the discussion, but I spotted 2 Class-2 e-bikes heading onto the Bethpage State Park (NY) mt. bike/hiking trails today. Big batteries, big motors, if I hadn't seen the pedals I would have mistaken them for gas powered dirt motorcycles.

One rider had a nice mud racing stripe up his ass and jacket, so maybe using a touch too much throttle in the hills. I had just done a mt. bike loop, conditions were soft but dry, but I could see that these guys were likely making a bit of a mess. It's the local mountain bike club - CLIMB that A) Got permission to build the trail system, B) Does all the maintenance.

1) E-Bikes are illegal to ride on roads or paths in NY State. 2) E-Bikes are illegal to ride in NY State Parks. 3) E-bikes are illegal to ride on any trails, paved or dirt in NY State.

So ask me if I think e-bikes are a good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    The majority of the money to be made selling e-bikes is going to come from selling them to people who currently don't own a bike, or don't ride the one they have because they live in a hilly neighborhood.

My girlfriend, who has no interest in cycling beyond the occasional Sunday afternoon ride through the park, sent me a link to an ebike she saw advertised and asked me if it was a good deal (it wasn't).

I asked her why she was shopping for e-bikes. She said "it looks like fun. My girlfriend just got one and said she loved it".

I don't think there is a huge market selling drop bar electric road bikes to Roadies.

Commuters, cruisers, Urban/City bikes, cargo bikes, and even performance MTBs will be the primary market drivers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    The majority of the money to be made selling e-bikes is going to come from selling them to people who currently don't own a bike, or don't ride the one they have because they live in a hilly neighborhood.

My girlfriend, who has no interest in cycling beyond the occasional Sunday afternoon ride through the park, sent me a link to an ebike she saw advertised and asked me if it was a good deal (it wasn't).

I asked her why she was shopping for e-bikes. She said "it looks like fun. My girlfriend just got one and said she loved it".

I don't think there is a huge market selling drop bar electric road bikes to Roadies.

Commuters, cruisers, Urban/City bikes, cargo bikes, and even performance MTBs will be the primary market drivers.
    Yes, absolutely! The ebike isnít a bad idea... Quite the opposite, itís a GREAT idea. It will serve and even create a new niche... It just isnít a bicycle.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    ... It just isnít a bicycle.
    I'm afraid the industry and most state lawmakers disagree with you. If it's pedal assisted (not self propelled) and is speed restricted to match local laws, it qualifies as a 'bicycle'.
    Last edited by Finx; 03-14-2019 at 04:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK. Itís not a bicycle. Iím not concerned with how anyone else defines it... itís a moped. It is EXACTLY a moped. This isnít a critique... it is simply data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK. Itís not a bicycle. Iím not concerned with how anyone else defines it... itís a moped. It is EXACTLY a moped. This isnít a critique... it is simply data.
    PBL450 I agree with you 100% and, I've made that point a couple times... doesn't matter. Somehow, because the new mopeds use electric motors instead of combustion engines, they're "ebikes." They remind me of vegans and vegetarians - always making "bacon-flavored ___" or "____ sausage" You'll never catch an omnivore eating tofu-flavored bacon. And, we won't try to disguise a bicycle as a motorcycle... you know, and try to hide the pedals and convince you it's really a motorcycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    You'll never catch an omnivore eating tofu-flavored bacon.
    This is gold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    This is gold.
    Of the highest grade.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    "mechanical doping"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Been there, done that. I'm trying to remember what that was like.
    It was like saving up $20s in the top dresser drawer for a year and springing for a top of the line racing bike, a replica of the ones Eddy Merckx creamed the field on. Ride partners wowed, "Oh, that's the Lamborghini of bicycles!" [translation: "I'm cool!"]. Riding it was like turning back the clock 10 years. Centuries became a pleasure, not a chore.

When you get old, you die. So don't get old! The Italian panache built into that Pinarello will satisfy like nothing else!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    PBL450 I agree with you 100% and, I've made that point a couple times... doesn't matter. Somehow, because the new mopeds use electric motors instead of combustion engines, they're "ebikes." They remind me of vegans and vegetarians - always making "bacon-flavored ___" or "____ sausage" You'll never catch an omnivore eating tofu-flavored bacon. And, we won't try to disguise a bicycle as a motorcycle... you know, and try to hide the pedals and convince you it's really a motorcycle.
    I think everyone knows a hybrid is still a car, a lot cabin is a house, a rib eye is a steak and on and on.

Sometimes terms are used to distinguish differences. Who really gives a fck about semantics? (Well, you do so I'm not really asking.)

It is what it is. Call it a ham sandwich for all I care.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I think everyone knows a hybrid is still a car, a lot cabin is a house, a rib eye is a steak and on and on.

Sometimes terms are used to distinguish differences. Who really gives a fck about semantics? (Well, you do so I'm not really asking.)

I think its a bit beyond semantics. If a rider told you they rode a 4 hour century you'd be impressed. If they they mentioned it was on an e-bike you'd be a lot less impressed

[REDACTED]

^^^This.^^^
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I think its a bit beyond semantics. If a rider told you they rode a 4 hour century you'd be impressed. If they they mentioned it was on an e-bike you'd be a lot less impressed
    Well no kidding. That's got nothing to do with the context of the discussion. I wouldn't be more impressed if they failed to mention it was a children's tricycle with three flat tires in to a 20 mph headwind either. Undisclosed information is another topic.

You're right the topic on this site is a bit beyond semantics though. I'm not really sure what it is and probably couldn't articulate it if I did know but fragile egos and exclusivity are definitely involved.

Certain people us the term eBike to describe certain bike types. That's all there is to that.

[REDACTED]
    I'm not really sure what it is and probably couldn't articulate it if I did know but fragile egos and exclusivity are definitely involved.
    Nailed it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I could see two to three similarly sized riders sharing a performance e-bike and normal bike(s) for motor paced HIIT.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    When you get old, you die. So don't get old!
    When you get old first you get slow, and if you get slow enough it takes longer to the die part.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    M point was simply that that the ebike, IMO, is a great idea. Itís market is not going to be keeping aging cyclists riding longer with pedal assist. Itís money is going to come from a new niche rider using it as a commuter and townie. The pedals will simply act to allow it on a MUT. Does it belong there? I donít think anything going fast belongs on MUTS, at least where I live where walkers and strollers and skaters are common... Is it cycling? Not in my opinion, and the fraction of the market that helps someone to continue to participate in the sport can define that however they like, including as ham sandwiches, but the market that will blow the lid off this idea doesnít give half a crap about this debate. They are vaping teenagers as said, and eco friendly urbanites and people that want a cheap convenient townie... The 2 markets will not exist together... IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    I could see two to three similarly sized riders sharing a performance e-bike and normal bike(s) for motor paced HIIT.
    Was out on a group ride once and we hammered it to catch some stoner (looked like) on an old school moped just because.
    We were dead by the time we caught his wheel and couldn't pass. To make a short story even shorter he paced us at about 27mph for around 20 miles. That was pretty fun, and he got a big kick out of it too.

For the delicate flowers who are concerned over that......I didn't tell anyone I rode 27mph for 20 miles, we called his moped a moped, and I'm pretty sure none of us have it on strava.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Was out on a group ride once and we hammered it to catch some stoner (looked like) on an old school moped just because.
    We were dead by the time we caught his wheel and couldn't pass. To make a short story even shorter he paced us at about 27mph for around 20 miles. That was pretty fun, and he got a big kick out of it too.

For the delicate flowers who are concerned over that......I didn't tell anyone I rode 27mph for 20 miles, we called his moped a moped, and I'm pretty sure none of us have it on strava.
    I once rode in a 60 deep rolling echelon in 53x12 for an hour through the German countryside on a blue bird sky day and rapeseed fields in full neon yellow bloom.

Covered almost 30 miles in that hour alternating between "this is frickin awesome" and "this is gonna really hurt if someone can't recover from a wheel touch."

banned
    Jun 2008
    M point was simply that that the ebike, IMO, is a great idea. Itís market is not going to be keeping aging cyclists riding longer with pedal assist. Itís money is going to come from a new niche rider using it as a commuter and townie. The pedals will simply act to allow it on a MUT. Does it belong there? I donít think anything going fast belongs on MUTS, at least where I live where walkers and strollers and skaters are common... Is it cycling? Not in my opinion, and the fraction of the market that helps someone to continue to participate in the sport can define that however they like, including as ham sandwiches, but the market that will blow the lid off this idea doesnít give half a crap about this debate. They are vaping teenagers as said, and eco friendly urbanites and people that want a cheap convenient townie... The 2 markets will not exist together... IMO.
    I have several friends and relatives that have e-bikes (perhaps a dozen or more). Not one is under the age of 68 and all were serious cyclists -- some still are.

I have one that originally belonged to my wife that I use for fly fishing now and, as of a couple of weeks ago, there are two new ones in my garage.

My wife and I recently purchased two haibike mtbs with 150mm suspension for a couple of reasons. One reason is, once the snow clears, to get back to riding steep single track and abandoned logging roads that we enjoyed so much from the time we first met in the early 80's.

The second--- In the past several years our 1 1/2 mile trail has been relegated to our morning walks. It is really steep single track and on our best days I could ride the repeated 20 to 30% grades about 45 minutes before exhaustion. It is great interval training but sucks for endurance. The benefit of riding that trail surfaces during our cold and wet winters when we could ride in the worst weather, knowing that a hot shower and dry clothes were available immediately at the end of any given lap. In addition, we could ride the trail when it's frozen.

Well, riding the trail is back as I can now ride for an 90 minutes (7 laps) and have already been able to drop the assist level. With the weather finally getting better, I am mixing road rides on my regular bikes. I am enjoying my hi-mod even more now as the contrast between the 47 lb e-bike and the 15 lb hi-mod is big. On the other hand, the e-mtb is re-sharpening my reflexes as our trail has numerous steep and sharp hairpins that are a blast to descend.

The training benefit data of the e-mtb is not available, however, by mid July of this year I will have FTP data on my road bike to compare to the past 10 years to see if the decline of the past several years can be reversed. I'll be 75 yo and continue to believe that most of the loss of power generally related to aging is more related to getting lazier. Winning at anything in life is a process of elimination of the excuses that authorize failure and this e-mtb checks one more off of the list.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast