Anyone riding a seriuos E bike ? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 189
  1. #101
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    e-bikes still have a throttle, they don't run 100% wide open full power till they don't!

    Now, the legal definition of 'throttle' as defined by the NYC and NYS legal system is their definition. But all e-bike have some type of control for the power, which meets the webster's definition of throttle.
    Throttle is usually referring to a handlebar mounted twist type control of the motor. Class 2 in other words. Class 1 has its motor assist only activate while pedaling, that’s not what is meant by a throttle usually.

    https://electricbikereview.com/forum...-matter.22738/

  2. #102
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    e-bikes still have a throttle, they don't run 100% wide open full power till they don't!

    Now, the legal definition of 'throttle' as defined by the NYC and NYS legal system is their definition. But all e-bike have some type of control for the power, which meets the webster's definition of throttle.
    Under your astute observation of what Webster has to say, my Cannondale hi-mod is illegal in NY State. It has a power meter that responds to the pressure from my legs /feet. And, the harder I press, the faster it goes.

    Who knew!

  3. #103
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I do worry about what other people do while they're doing it around me. I've been taken down a couple too many times not to be worried. What they do on their own or in approved group settings, I'm less concerned about.

    Let's put it this way- if I organize a group ride and an eBike shows up, it will have to be OK with every other rider that they participate. Since I will be there, it likely won't be. If I show up for another group ride and an eBike shows up, then it's my option to sit out if I don't agree with the group consensus or if I think the rider is unskilled at that pace or otherwise potentially causing harm (directly or indirectly) to myself or others.

    Of course, since apparently I'm a member of the Taliban and/or Nazi Party now (I wonder how my security clearance will be affected?), voicing my distaste for the platform in a performance-oriented setting is strictly prohibited.
    Lol. Poor you. Such a martyr.

  4. #104
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Throttle is usually referring to a handlebar mounted twist type control of the motor. Class 2 in other words. Class 1 has its motor assist only activate while pedaling, that’s not what is meant by a throttle usually.

    https://electricbikereview.com/forum...-matter.22738/
    That post is for CA, and every location will be different. CA laws definite proves that this whole issue is a lot more complicated than a simple answer.
    Last edited by duriel; 03-17-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    BANNED

  5. #105
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,473
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    You really think some dude who needs an e-bike to keep up is going to start talking smack or attacking on the hills? If so, you need better friends.

    Your made-up scenario is duly noted, but man, you need to spend less time worrying about other people, what they do, and why they do it.
    Every group ride over 5 riders I've been on in the last 35 years, whether bike clubs or events, is at many points, a hammer fest. I don't know these guys. They aren't all that well organized until they tire a little over half way into the ride, so there's lots of action. Guys try to break away on the flats, the braver ones on the climbs. A group will go off the front full tilt, shedding riders who blow up.

    Shenanigans happen, the larger the ride, the more shenanigans. The temptation to compete, to show your sh!t, is always there! It's intuitive. Riders don't even think about it. I think it has a lot to do with the intensity, like boxing. Both boxing and bike racing are battles of attrition. The guy who holds up the longest wins. If one has electric assist, sooner or later he'll use it to make his statement to the group. Its very difficult to contain.

  6. #106
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Lol. Poor you. Such a martyr.
    I'll try to survive. I've been called worse by better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    If one has electric assist, sooner or later he'll use it to make his statement to the group. Its very difficult to contain.
    Now in this hypothetical situation that can't possibly ever happen except during just about every group ride, what would be the proper response? What would be the proper response to the friendly guy who motors to the front to "help the group maintain the pace"? Would it be Taliban/Nazi-esque to exclude such a rider? Would the impulse (perhaps not acted upon) to shoulder them into a ditch be understandable?

    I don't want to ride with dopers, and in my opinion, ebikers in performance-oriented situations are motor-doping. If you can't hang, get out of the paceline until you can. Then again, I'm a jihadist/fascist. Not about the "Rules" (which I think are drivel), but about the basic essence of the sport that has been the same since the derailleur was invented. You get out what your legs put into it.

    Outside of the sporting and traditional group ride considerations, you do you.

  7. #107
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I'll try to survive. I've been called worse by better.
    Certainly a believable story

  8. #108
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I do worry about what other people do while they're doing it around me. I've been taken down a couple too many times not to be worried. What they do on their own or in approved group settings, I'm less concerned about.

    Let's put it this way- if I organize a group ride and an eBike shows up, it will have to be OK with every other rider that they participate. Since I will be there, it likely won't be. If I show up for another group ride and an eBike shows up, then it's my option to sit out if I don't agree with the group consensus or if I think the rider is unskilled at that pace or otherwise potentially causing harm (directly or indirectly) to myself or others.

    Of course, since apparently I'm a member of the Taliban and/or Nazi Party now (I wonder how my security clearance will be affected?), voicing my distaste for the platform in a performance-oriented setting is strictly prohibited.
    so you'd go all tantrum if a guy like Lennard Zinn showed up for a group ride? He's come down with a serious heart ailment that precludes his ability to ride his road bike much especially with his US National Road Racing Team alumni, the tens of thousands of folks who ride his custom frames, and the millions whom read his long running columns in VeloNews. The eBike has saved him from having to give up his lifelong passion.

    https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/bik...cyclist_470738

    but this kind of rider .. he's really beneath you and your precious lil group ride I guess

    -

    now I still do fine with regular road bike at speeds a bit lower than a typical hammerfest club ride, however I am scheduled for open heart surgery in 10 days from now (bad heart valve due to some infection resulting in cardiomegaly exacerbated by doing a lot of cycling for 45 years). On the trails I have had to switch to an eMTB, which has exactly 0 difference in impact to the trails (proven by IMBA) and are welcomed here. Hopefully after a year or two of recovery my heart will be ready to go MTB without the E, but for this past year it has been a saviour for me.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 03-18-2019 at 12:43 AM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  9. #109
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,236
    I am changing my mind on e-bikes. I want one of these

    https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

    Badass looks, 1100 watts, 37mph top end, a seat so your girl can ride in the back, it's got it all

  10. #110
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I do worry about what other people do while they're doing it around me. I've been taken down a couple too many times not to be worried. What they do on their own or in approved group settings, I'm less concerned about.

    Let's put it this way- if I organize a group ride and an eBike shows up, it will have to be OK with every other rider that they participate. Since I will be there, it likely won't be. If I show up for another group ride and an eBike shows up, then it's my option to sit out if I don't agree with the group consensus or if I think the rider is unskilled at that pace or otherwise potentially causing harm (directly or indirectly) to myself or others.
    If someone shows up on a ride I'm leading and does dangerous stuff, it doesn't matter what kind of bike they're on. They get warned once and if they don't change, they're off the ride, period.

    What kind of bike they are on is irrelevant.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  11. #111
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,710
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am changing my mind on e-bikes. I want one of these

    https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

    Badass looks, 1100 watts, 37mph top end, a seat so your girl can ride in the back, it's got it all
    The training benefits that you're going to reap with that e-bike are going to be phenomenal. Gonna be riding like a pro in no time.
    Too old to ride plastic

  12. #112
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The training benefits that you're going to reap with that e-bike are going to be phenomenal. Gonna be riding like a pro in no time.
    With a bike like that you aren't riding in lycra, its full-on leathers with a chain wallet

  13. #113
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am changing my mind on e-bikes. I want one of these

    https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler

    Badass looks, 1100 watts, 37mph top end, a seat so your girl can ride in the back, it's got it all
    It’s the kickstand that sold me.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  14. #114
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,064
    That tippy toe side stand is nice, but.... that is going to be rather harsh ride, @ 30 with no rear susp, a big pot hole is going to be life changing.
    BANNED

  15. #115
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    621
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    so you'd go all tantrum if a guy like Lennard Zinn showed up for a group ride? He's come down with a serious heart ailment that precludes his ability to ride his road bike much especially with his US National Road Racing Team alumni, the tens of thousands of folks who ride his custom frames, and the millions whom read his long running columns in VeloNews. The eBike has saved him from having to give up his lifelong passion.

    https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/bik...cyclist_470738

    but this kind of rider .. he's really beneath you and your precious lil group ride I guess

    -

    now I still do fine with regular road bike at speeds a bit lower than a typical hammerfest club ride, however I am scheduled for open heart surgery in 10 days from now (bad heart valve due to some infection resulting in cardiomegaly exacerbated by doing a lot of cycling for 45 years). On the trails I have had to switch to an eMTB, which has exactly 0 difference in impact to the trails (proven by IMBA) and are welcomed here. Hopefully after a year or two of recovery my heart will be ready to go MTB without the E, but for this past year it has been a saviour for me.
    Blows my mind that people would prefer you stop riding than show up with an e-bike. I'm so glad that tech exists.

  16. #116
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,203
    Derny ebike could be a lot of fun pacing up group rides.


  17. #117
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    so you'd go all tantrum if a guy like Lennard Zinn showed up for a group ride?
    I'd expect someone like Lennard to show a little common courtesy and get pre-approval from the group he intended to ride with before showing up on an eBike. Someone like Lennard has a valid reason to ride an eBike (physical ailment) that isn't related to the inability to accept the aging process.
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Blows my mind that people would prefer you stop riding than show up with an e-bike. I'm so glad that tech exists.
    I never said people should stop riding.

  18. #118
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,135
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    That tippy toe side stand is nice, but.... that is going to be rather harsh ride, @ 30 with no rear susp, a big pot hole is going to be life changing.
    Haha, that’s an excellent point!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  19. #119
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,241
    some ebikers are pussified, too chickenshit to ride on the road, but go on the trail and they go like a badass. Why?

  20. #120
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    531

  21. #121
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: PBL450's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,135
    Damn, it coasts uphill too!

    “Wait, I’ll be right back, I forgot the keys to my bike!”
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

  22. #122
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    If one has electric assist, sooner or later he'll use it to make his statement to the group. Its very difficult to contain.
    And what is that statement? Is your fear that someone on a stealth e-bike will go undetected on a group ride and gain bragging rights?

  23. #123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,473
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    And what is that statement? Is your fear that someone on a stealth e-bike will go undetected on a group ride and gain bragging rights?
    Well, if I have to sprint to stay in his draft, I'll get pissed off.

    These cheaters just better respect the dynamic of the group. The kids always show off on their manual bikes. They'd do it on electric bikes too, mark my words! Put a mild-mannered kid on a 16# carbon racing bike, he'll become the Hulk in disguise on every climb. Hammerfests haven't changed a whit in 40 years, probably since bicycling started. The new uber lightweight bikes have made it worse! The temptations are just too great. rider will overcompensate with that nice electric boost. Its the nature of the game.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-18-2019 at 11:23 PM.

  24. #124
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    893
    I've noticed a lot of people have issues with the "group ride " thing. Crap,you must live a very lone and miserable life if group rides and opinions have such an impact on your ego.
    The most miserable rides I had are ( thank god maybe twice a year at best) group rides,I always make sure to skip invitations on them.

  25. #125
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people have issues with the "group ride " thing. Crap,you must live a very lone and miserable life if group rides and opinions have such an impact on your ego.
    The most miserable rides I had are ( thank god maybe twice a year at best) group rides,I always make sure to skip invitations on them.
    Exactly. Unless you're in a sanctioned race, who cares. As long as nobody is doing anything dangerous, who cares?

    The "cheater" is really only cheating him/herself in this case. Personally, I don't see the point of using an e-bike to be able to ride with a stronger group. I would just ride with a slower group, but that's just me.

    As I said before, if using an e-bike keeps you on the bike, you're getting more exercise than if you quit because you lose interest. So it's all good.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Riding, riding riding
    By Touch0Gray in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM
  2. Anyone here riding the LA Bike Tour tomorrow?
    By midlife_xs's in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 01:38 PM
  4. Bike Sizing question.. anyone 5' 11" and riding a 54cm?
    By mwilcko2 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 06:42 PM
  5. How does riding time/effort on Mt. Bike compare to road riding?
    By dawgcatching in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.