Anyone riding a seriuos E bike ? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 189
  1. #126
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Well, if I have to sprint to stay in his draft, I'll get pissed off.

    These cheaters just better respect the dynamic of the group. The kids always show off on their manual bikes. They'd do it on electric bikes too, mark my words! Put a mild-mannered kid on a 16# carbon racing bike, he'll become the Hulk in disguise on every climb. Hammerfests haven't changed a whit in 40 years, probably since bicycling started. The new uber lightweight bikes have made it worse! The temptations are just too great. rider will overcompensate with that nice electric boost. Its the nature of the game.
    HTFU old man.

    Get with the times! Keep up or get out!

    Maybe it's time to retire?

  2. #127
    Pack Fodder.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    HTFU old man.

    Get with the times! Keep up or get out!

    Maybe it's time to retire?
    Why would you directly quote a Lance to LeMond conversation?

  3. #128
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    HTFU old man.

    Get with the times! Keep up or get out!

    Maybe it's time to retire?
    HTFU, Time to retire? If I'm not mistaken, the man is in his 70's, and he's still managing to get out there and ride his bike without power assist. He's riding his pace and ain't asking nobody to slow down so he can keep up, sounds like he's doing just fine and don't need to "get with the times".
    Too old to ride plastic

  4. #129
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Well, if I have to sprint to stay in his draft, I'll get pissed off.

    These cheaters just better respect the dynamic of the group. The kids always show off on their manual bikes. They'd do it on electric bikes too, mark my words! Put a mild-mannered kid on a 16# carbon racing bike, he'll become the Hulk in disguise on every climb. Hammerfests haven't changed a whit in 40 years, probably since bicycling started. The new uber lightweight bikes have made it worse! The temptations are just too great. rider will overcompensate with that nice electric boost. Its the nature of the game.
    This year I've seen more e-bikes in one day than I did all of last year on our local MUT. Not once did I see anyone young. It's a fantasy that kid's ride e-bikes (or any other bike after the age of 11).

    Parenting skills are a thing of the past. Kids now lay on their butts and play video games in the basement until they're 35. They're too fat to roll over so kicking their asses would be out of the question even if the odd parent should develop a backbone.

  5. #130
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,766
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    This year I've seen more e-bikes in one day than I did all of last year on our local MUT. Not once did I see anyone young. It's a fantasy that kid's ride e-bikes (or any other bike after the age of 11).

    Parenting skills are a thing of the past. Kids now lay on their butts and play video games in the basement until they're 35. They're too fat to roll over so kicking their asses would be out of the question even if the odd parent should develop a backbone.
    I hear ya!

    I must be thinking of a bygone era! Then again, everybody sits and finger these little things they carry in their hand at all times, barely paying attention to their surroundings. Talk about bad parenting.

    Thanks for the heads up on the electric bikers being mostly past mid life crisis. They won't be off the front showing off! Then again, they'll look dorky on those heavy bikes, not cool like manual "cyclists," hands on the hoods, clipped in, spinning effortlessly, showing the plebeians how it's done.

  6. #131
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    HTFU old man.

    Get with the times! Keep up or get out!

    Maybe it's time to retire?
    Never! I'll give up the bike when the grim reaper takes it out of my cold, dead hands!

    You're right, though. Everyone wants to kiss the old folks goodbye and banish them to the assisted living home. What a waste of talent! What a horrible thing to do to your mothers and fathers. "You're done, Dad. Over the hill. So long! " There's some serious Oedipus complex going on here. When you do something embarrassing, they lay their hand tenderly on your shoulder, say they're so sorry, and write it off as an early symptom of senility. The nurse in ER after the last crash confided, "Maybe you're getting too old to ride a bike, sir! It's awfully dangerous for someone your age!"

    Hell no.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-19-2019 at 10:17 PM.

  7. #132
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Never! I'll give up the bike when the grim reaper takes it out of my cold, dead hands!

    You're right, though. Everyone wants to kiss the old folks goodbye and banish them to the assisted living home. What a waste of talent! What a horrible thing to do to your mothers and fathers. "You're done, Dad. Over the hill. So long! " There's some serious Oedipus complex going on here. When you do something embarrassing, they lay their hand tenderly on your shoulder, say they're so sorry, and write it off as an early symptom of senility. The nurse in ER after the last crash confided, "Maybe you're getting too old to ride a bike, sir! It's awfully dangerous for someone your age!"

    Hell no.
    ^^^This.^^^ Heck, you're a young fella compared to a couple of cyclists I've ridden with. I occasionally ride with a guy who is 85. He's slowing down for sure, but he can still climb. He's a steady Eddie and while slow on the climbs, he doesn't need to take breaks. I can only hope to be doing what he's doing when I get to that age!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #133
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,840
    Opinion: An e-bike won't make you faster

    https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/opin...ke-you-faster/
    Too old to ride plastic

  9. #134
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,250
    "Serious e-bike" reminds me of George Carlin's bit on "jumbo shrimp."

  10. #135
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Opinion: An e-bike won't make you faster

    https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/opin...ke-you-faster/
    Well there you have it. Settled science!

  11. #136
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I hear ya!

    I must be thinking of a bygone era! Then again, everybody sits and finger these little things they carry in their hand at all times, barely paying attention to their surroundings. Talk about bad parenting.

    Thanks for the heads up on the electric bikers being mostly past mid life crisis. They won't be off the front showing off! Then again, they'll look dorky on those heavy bikes, not cool like manual "cyclists," hands on the hoods, clipped in, spinning effortlessly, showing the plebeians how it's done.
    There's no question about that. I'm not ready for an e-bike for the road (except for the shuttle when fly fishing), however, when the time comes that I'm holding up my riding partners, I'll be switching over for those rides.

    My brother is 82 and switched over a couple of years ago. I'm grateful to be able to ride with him and still get a good workout.

  12. #137
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    There's no question about that. I'm not ready for an e-bike for the road (except for the shuttle when fly fishing), however, when the time comes that I'm holding up my riding partners, I'll be switching over for those rides.

    My brother is 82 and switched over a couple of years ago. I'm grateful to be able to ride with him and still get a good workout.

    What happens when the percentage of e-bike riders becomes greater than those on conventional bikes and those on the conventional bikes have to get e-bikes just to keep up with his/her friends on e-bikes?

    Does everyone go back to conventional bikes because they have become unnecessary, everyone having aged and slowed more or less equally, or are the e-bikes kept, well, because we wanna go fast?
    Too old to ride plastic

  13. #138
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,146
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    What happens when the percentage of e-bike riders becomes greater than those on conventional bikes and those on the conventional bikes have to get e-bikes just to keep up with his/her friends on e-bikes?
    I'm thinking my Kawa would be able to keep up with them!
    BANNED

  14. #139
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I'm thinking my Kawa would be able to keep up with them!
    Hell Dude, that makes a lot more sense than a battery on a bicycle.
    Too old to ride plastic

  15. #140
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    This year I've seen more e-bikes in one day than I did all of last year on our local MUT. Not once did I see anyone young. It's a fantasy that kid's ride e-bikes (or any other bike after the age of 11).

    Parenting skills are a thing of the past. Kids now lay on their butts and play video games in the basement until they're 35. They're too fat to roll over so kicking their asses would be out of the question even if the odd parent should develop a backbone.
    Please tell me you're joking

  16. #141
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    What happens when the percentage of e-bike riders becomes greater than those on conventional bikes and those on the conventional bikes have to get e-bikes just to keep up with his/her friends on e-bikes?
    The ebike motors cut out at 25-32kph. Ain't no chance that strong riders are going to be dropped by ebikes, since they can cruise at 35-40kph on team rides. Well unless every road nearby is a hill or mountain with no flat, then the ebikes reign.

    I've been encouraging my dad to get a proper road ebike. He insists on using a conventional bike (ex champion racer aged 76), and then every month or three it slams his heart into atrial fibrillation, requiring all kinds of heart-reset-procedures, and hospital stays and many surgeries. Then he is back out hammering again for 80km rides. I think eBike is the solution, but it is up to him to choose.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

  17. #142
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    The ebike motors cut out at 25-32kph. Ain't no chance that strong riders are going to be dropped by ebikes, since they can cruise at 35-40kph on team rides. Well unless every road nearby is a hill or mountain with no flat, then the ebikes reign.
    My best times on the ebike are still considerably slower than the KOMs on the climbs I ride on my commute.

    Then there is the range issue. At my weight, Boost mode isn't going to last long enough to hang with any group rides.

    I'd be doing well to get 50 miles on Eco mode on a flat ride. No chance I could hang with a fast group in the mode.

  18. #143
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,570
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I've been encouraging my dad to get a proper road ebike. He insists on using a conventional bike (ex champion racer aged 76), and then every month or three it slams his heart into atrial fibrillation, requiring all kinds of heart-reset-procedures, and hospital stays and many surgeries. Then he is back out hammering again for 80km rides. I think eBike is the solution, but it is up to him to choose.
    Is exercise really connected with a-fib? I'm thinking that riding is what's kept him alive.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  19. #144
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Is exercise really connected with a-fib? I'm thinking that riding is what's kept him alive.
    Apparently... yes. Some study just released - spending significant time at 80% of your max HR... blah, blah... increases chance of a-fib. Oh, also eggs are bad for us again and aspirin isn't good for us anymore.
    Check back in a couple years... it'll change again. Hence the "practice" part of medicine. ;-)

  20. #145
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    176

    Anyone riding a seriuos E bike ?

    If you are truly elderly, or have some actual condition that means you are simply incapable of developing the fitness to ride a bike, then by all means, get an ebike.

    Otherwise...... lame.

    I think eBikes are fantastic from a utility standpoint. Commuting, errands, etc. But as a form of fitness/sport/recreation, like road/gravel riding? Lame. I’d just get a motorcycle and stop pretending.

    EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that Juiced Scrambler. That is so hot. I'm in. I'll have total cred with the bikers on that.
    Last edited by kapusta; 03-21-2019 at 07:51 AM.

  21. #146
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    The ebike motors cut out at 25-32kph. Ain't no chance that strong riders are going to be dropped by ebikes, since they can cruise at 35-40kph on team rides. Well unless every road nearby is a hill or mountain with no flat, then the ebikes reign.

    I've been encouraging my dad to get a proper road ebike. He insists on using a conventional bike (ex champion racer aged 76), and then every month or three it slams his heart into atrial fibrillation, requiring all kinds of heart-reset-procedures, and hospital stays and many surgeries. Then he is back out hammering again for 80km rides. I think eBike is the solution, but it is up to him to choose.
    Maybe I wasn't clear but I was speaking to the crowd aging to the point that there were no more "strong" riders, and an e-bike was needed to keep up with the other e-bikes. At that point what is the purpose of the e-bike, if all of the group has equalized, so to speak?
    Too old to ride plastic

  22. #147
    [REDACTED]
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,570
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear but I was speaking to the crowd aging to the point that there were no more "strong" riders, and an e-bike was needed to keep up with the other e-bikes. At that point what is the purpose of the e-bike, if all of the group has equalized, so to speak?
    Sort of reminds me of the way motor vehicles are getting higher and higher because people like to see out over everybody else. The trouble is, when everybody else's vehicle is also higher, you have to get an even higher vehicle. And so the madness never ends.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  23. #148
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Sort of reminds me of the way motor vehicles are getting higher and higher because people like to see out over everybody else. The trouble is, when everybody else's vehicle is also higher, you have to get an even higher vehicle. And so the madness never ends.
    Lombard, our state is on the verge of legalizing marijuana, so I imagine drivers will be plenty high

  24. #149
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear but I was speaking to the crowd aging to the point that there were no more "strong" riders, and an e-bike was needed to keep up with the other e-bikes. At that point what is the purpose of the e-bike, if all of the group has equalized, so to speak?
    It doesn't really work that way. It may be hard to understand but e-bikes, like regular bikes, can go more than one speed.

    When you get into your seventies health issues begin to affect friends to different degrees. Long time skiing and riding friends still enjoy keeping these relationships together. Skiing is easy (gravity) and those with years of experience can remain as fast as ever if they keep it up into their 80's. Biking--not so much.

    I'm heading to Santa Ynez at the end of the month with 9 or 10 of my skiing/biking friends for one of our annual rides (5 days of riding). Their will be three e-bikes with us this year as one of my friends has afib, another has muscular dystrophy, and his wife just finished her third operation for breast cancer. None of those three will hold us up and I can assure you that the trip would lose something if they were not there. We lost a good friend this past spring due to cancer and he will be missed.

  25. #150
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    It doesn't really work that way. It may be hard to understand but e-bikes, like regular bikes, can go more than one speed.

    When you get into your seventies health issues begin to affect friends to different degrees. Long time skiing and riding friends still enjoy keeping these relationships together. Skiing is easy (gravity) and those with years of experience can remain as fast as ever if they keep it up into their 80's. Biking--not so much.

    I'm heading to Santa Ynez at the end of the month with 9 or 10 of my skiing/biking friends for one of our annual rides (5 days of riding). Their will be three e-bikes with us this year as one of my friends has afib, another has muscular dystrophy, and his wife just finished her third operation for breast cancer. None of those three will hold us up and I can assure you that the trip would lose something if they were not there. We lost a good friend this past spring due to cancer and he will be missed.
    The point of my question is when the whole group succumbs to age and become "equal" again, as far as strength and speed, what then, e-bikes or drag out the conventional bikes again.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Riding, riding riding
    By Touch0Gray in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM
  2. Anyone here riding the LA Bike Tour tomorrow?
    By midlife_xs's in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 01:38 PM
  4. Bike Sizing question.. anyone 5' 11" and riding a 54cm?
    By mwilcko2 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-02-2006, 06:42 PM
  5. How does riding time/effort on Mt. Bike compare to road riding?
    By dawgcatching in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.