Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Anyone riding a seriuos E bike ?

25K views 188 replies 31 participants last post by  SwiftSolo 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone riding a serious E bike ?

Anyone riding a real road E bike ? Something like a Pinarello Nitro or Bianchi Aria Eroad or Focus Paralane,something that turn heads I mean
If so,care to share ? I'm almost 46,busy with family an ride only 7 months per year ( including flu/cold and vacation time) during winter months,each and every year is becoming increasingly difficult to gain a decent fitness. It's not that I can't do it anymore,it's just recovery times are becoming a true issue and when I push it a bit because I feel good my body feels hammered for 2/3 days. And no,no time to stretch at the gym or whatever else..

#2 ·
If you're having trouble maintaining your fitness level why would you want to get an ebike? If your goal is fitness but time is an issue just do shorter rides when you can, every ride doesn't have be a suffer fest leaving you wipped out for days afterward.

I look at ebikes more for those that have some physical limitations or injuries but still want to enjoy the outdoors.

I wonder if any studies have been done tracking those using ebikes. Does their fitness level increase or decrease?

To answer your question...no I have no experience with an ebike, I think it would be fun to ride but wouldn't help my fitness level....but I could be wrong.

#3 · (Edited)
If you're having trouble maintaining your fitness level why would you want to get an ebike? If your goal is fitness but time is an issue just do shorter rides when you can, every ride doesn't have be a suffer fest leaving you wipped out for days afterward.

I wonder if any studies have been done tracking those using ebikes. Does their fitness level increase or decrease?

Define suffer fest. My rides are about 50km,26/28 km per hour average pace and an elevation of about 400/700 meters depending. Doesn't sound like a suffer test to me. I'm 6 ft tall/191 lb. I can be on the heavy side for sure but legs account for a lot of that weight. I lose about 3/4 kilos when I sto riding during summer.
Anyway after a couple of rides in a row like that I have some very stiff legs when climbing stairs at home. Give me 4/5 days of total rest and I can literally fly on those stairs while holding a couple of water kegs..

Yes,studies have been done for E MTB and general fitness seemed improved. I'm talking about youngish people,34/37 years old editors testers who had a Specialized Levo to review for about a month

#6 ·
I have a BMC AMP Cross that I bought specifically for commuting. My commute is 16 miles one way and has about 800 meters of climbing. It's a ride I love to do on my road bike on a weekend or evening ride after work, but in the summer, getting to work drenched in sweat sucks. We don't have showers or lockers, which means carrying all of my work clothes on my back.

Having the E-bike makes the morning commute a casual light exercise (i still average about 115bpm for an hour - twice a day - similar to a brisk walk), and I don't have to worry about getting to work drenched in sweat. I can ride in street clothes, jump off the bike and be ready to work when I get there.

I commute pretty early (about 6am), and most (probably 60% by the eye test) of the commuters I see on this route are on e-bikes now. Very few casual cyclists out at that hour.

I like having it. I find I'm a lot more inclined to ride now, even when the weather is a bit sketchy (too hot/cold). It takes away a lot of the drudgery related to logistics of commuting. I just grab my backpack and go.

My only concern with my commute is a lack of a secure place to lock up the bike at work. Right now I bring it inside and stash it in a corner of the office, but the building management folks don't like it. I told them I'm not keeping a bike that expensive outside, and asked them to provide access to a secure area to lock it up (our main campus has an indoor secure locker area, but the satellite office, which is new, does not - yet!).

#11 ·
Obligatory

All main transport buses in area (RTA) have bike racks year round. A good part of the fleet is under wire so when I take my bike aboard, does that qualify as an E-Bike excursion?

Considering the yearly miles I used to log, there have been a handful of bonks where an alternative like an E-bike would have seemed like the bee's knees. OTOH, most of those years were "weight weenie" years and I could not have justified the extra weight and still held my head up on group rides!

Alternatives.

#13 ·
I completely understand the usage as outlined by Finx. As an economical commuter in the right environment (climate, infrastructure...), it makes perfect sense. You arrive at work ready to go on a mild endorphin high yet not completely drenched in sweat. Especially for those without convenient shower facilities, it's a viable alternative.

For fitness? Unless there's a physical limitation or you're completely out of shape, I don't understand the cost-benefit here. If you can't go faster/longer, you go slower/shorter and build from there. If you're getting dropped on a group ride, you get dropped until you can hang or you find another ride. You make adjustments to your goals/aspirations, not buy shortcuts to a level of performance that wasn't earned by turning over the pedals. Sorry, to me that's about as bad as mainlining EPO, but I understand some don't see the same ethical parallel.

#14 ·
Is root of this thread about fitness or mid life crisis?

Fitness\ability changes as we age, no getting around that. Better to understand that and make allowances than to expect to keep pace with a younger crowd.
Or get one of "those" Doctors. The one that hands out the right prescriptions.

#17 ·
Anyone riding a real road E bike ? Something like a Pinarello Nitro or Bianchi Aria Eroad or Focus Paralane,something that turn heads I mean
If so,care to share ? I'm almost 46,busy with family an ride only 7 months per year ( including flu/cold and vacation time) during winter months,each and every year is becoming increasingly difficult to gain a decent fitness. It's not that I can't do it anymore,it's just recovery times are becoming a true issue and when I push it a bit because I feel good my body feels hammered for 2/3 days. And no,no time to stretch at the gym or whatever else..
A couple of things I've learned in my 75 years. First, fitness has to be very high on your priority list and you need to make it high on your families. You'll be of no value to anyone when your health goes to hell. I was 70 when I began climbing most of the famous climbs in the Dolomites. I still keep cycling high enough on my priority list to suffer through the pain of the training each spring after skiing most of the winter (after 65 years, snow skiing in the resort is close to zero exercise ever when you ski hard). As you get older you will find that, with day 1 being exercise day, day three will be when the soreness shows up until you regain fitness. It will go away fairly quickly as long as you do a couple of hours three times a week.

In regard to e-bikes: Don't be fooled by new entries into the e-bike market by manufacturers of high end road bikes. E-bikes made for the European market discontinue to provide assistance at 25kph. That does not mean that there are no European companies that make e-bikes for the US market. Make sure that the one you buy provides power assist up to 28MPH. It will make road riding much safer as you remain in the vision of overtaking cars longer and there will be fewer of them.

I have an e-bike that was bought in early 2014 for my wife so she could join me on riding vacations in the Alps. It was from a very reputable company from Germany (Haibike) but their sizing was absurd and it was always too big for her. I now use it for making the shuttle on river fly fishing trips and it works great.

Regarding exercise: The good news is that nearly every experienced bike rider will push themselves to get exercise that corresponds to their fitness level. An e-bike usually has four levels of assist and it will be natural to keep turning down the assist as fitness improves (highway rides notwithstanding).

#18 ·
HTFU. For @&^# sake, you're 46, not 86.

My club is comprised mostly of guys in the 50s - doctors, business owners... with kids, houses... you know grownup ****. Lots of the guys still race, do fast group rides, etc. Not quite ready to blow out the candle.

Wake up earlier. Get a Kickr. Subscribed to Zwift.. there are lots of ways to squeeze in rides.

#19 ·
While I have no interest in an e-bike for myself, it may have its merits if it's a difference between riding and losing interest in the sport and instead plopping your arse in front of the TV.

As has been said, an e-bike (really e-assist) isn't a "free ride". You have to pedal it for the motor to kick in. So you do get some exercise.

#20 ·
I mostly agree with you but is just seems wrong to me to plunk down 6 or 7 grand to get free speed when you dont have any physical ailment. The OP doesn't say if he's riding with others but If you show up with a Pinarello ebike, there may be some judgement to contend with

#27 ·
...I'm almost 46,busy with family an ride only 7 months per year ( including flu/cold and vacation time) during winter months,each and every year is becoming increasingly difficult to gain a decent fitness... And no,no time to stretch at the gym or whatever else..
"Wake up earlier. Get a Kickr. Subscribed to Zwift.. there are lots of ways to squeeze in rides."

No.No.And no. I'm not hysterical about cycling and I don't get paid to ride.
At this point, I haven't a clue what you're talking about - you don't have time, you want to build fitness... I suggest getting up earlier and/or using a trainer, but you're not "hysterical about cycling."

Dude, NONE of us gets paid to ride. We ride, train, race - whatever, because we love it. If you only want to ride when it's 70 and sunny just embrace the slow and don't blame the weather, your family, your schedule, etc. Just be slow.. and sure, buy that ebike - it'll remind you what fast feels like ;-)

#29 ·
If the guy has reasons that he wants to ride an e-bike, who cares, let him ride whatever he wants without getting grilled about it.

Reactions: masont
#34 ·
My problem is as I get older, I don't recover as fast or as well, as I did even a few years ago. I used to easily manage a 9k mile year. Now, 6k to 7k is far more realistic. I cant do 300 mile weekends every weekend in the summer like I used to. I just need more rest.

Not specific to that point, but cycling tips has article out that is relevant to this thread.

E-Road Bikes don't make you faster (unless you are going up a steep hill).

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/03/opinion-an-e-road-bike-wont-make-you-faster/

In my case, even if my E-Bike was an electric moped capable of 30mph, I couldn't ride it that fast. My E-Bike commutes are 15 miles on a heavily used MUT. During peak commute time, especially in good weather, there is just too much traffic to be going much over the posted 15mph speed limit. Having a faster bike (or a faster rider) wouldn't make my commutes any faster. This is one of the reasons I opted for a class 2 (25kph) assist cutoff. So I wouldn't be tempted to ride dangerously on the trail (many others do this, much to my disdain).

#43 ·
My problem is as I get older, I don't recover as fast or as well, as I did even a few years ago.
It gets worse.
Soon, even an E-Road bike won't be enough for your old bones, and you'll want a V-Twin...
As my fast, old Italian training buddy said: "Find more rides, not more bikes!"

#39 ·
Suggestions

Most of the people in our club are getting the Giant e-road. Drop bars, Ultegra shifting, 28mph peak speed. But it is aluminum and heavy. Seems a waste to get carbon, just to stick 25lbs of battery and motor on it. They all report that they get a good workout on the e-bike - just as good as their normal bikes. But now they can keep up with their spouses. Most report the benefits are on the hills. In ECO mode, you get about 100 miles on a charge.

I know what you mean about winter. But consider trying to do training vs the e-bike. If you do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) you can get the same benefits of a 2 hour ride in about 60 minutes. Plus research shows that interval training is more engaging than normal spinning. Check out the YouTube videos by CTXC. Free and they have workouts from 20 to 120 minutes. I suggest starting with the 45 minute video which is a bit easier. If you want to save a bit of time, skip the first 5 minutes. The 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 50, and 55 minute videos are much harder. They have shorter warmup, cool down and recovery times. The 60 minute video is also a good starting point. Again, skip the first 5 minutes if you want to save some time. Check out Craigslist or estate sales in your area to pick up a cheap trainer. If you end up finding indoor training acceptable, then invest in something nicer. One last piece of advice, use the trainer as close to outdoors as you can. A balcony, garage (ideally with door open), porch, deck, etc. Keeping cool is critical. If you have to use it indoors, have a fan blowing on you.

Some of the more elite riders in our club have invested in smart trainers and Zwift. They claim it is very realistic and they can easily put 2 hours on the trainer and still have fun.

#45 ·
If so,care to share ? ..
I'm 68, 5 replaced joints, recurring cancer, and recently diagnosed with mild COPD. I just bought an Orbea Gain. I've for 3 weeks and only been able to put on about 300 miles so far because of the weather. I got this one because of deteriorating health and strength and want to keep riding - it is the only exercise I can do. I want to work up a sweat and put in the miles. Last year I did, without an ebike, 9000 miles and 600,000' and hope to do that again this year but with some assistance. What the figures do not show is the pain I've been putting up with.
The weight factor is one of the major reasons for selecting this bike. This uses the same drive as the Bianchi mentioned by the OP. It is something that I can in fact pedal without the motor - just finished a 25 mile ride without assist. It is also adjustable as to how much power you want to apply for each of the three available settings. The motor will only assist when you are pedaling so you have to work. So far this is doing exactly what I want. The only con I can think of is that to use the app you have to turn on the location function of your smartphone (drains my phone battery too much).
My longest and most difficult ride so far has been 32 miles with 3200' and I used 32% of the battery capacity. A metric is easily within reach and probably I'll attempt a century later this year.

#46 ·
Again, I get the utility of an eBike. A lot of localities banned mopeds on the streets years ago (for various reasons), but have not extended the restrictions to eBikes (for various reasons). Some (not all) allow them on MUTs/MUPs. The bike manufacturers are recognizing the potential and are jumping on the bandwagon, hoping the trend has more legs than fatbikes, gravel bikes, or any of the other relatively niche markets they've saturated over the years. One less car out there running an individual to work, delivering Chinese food, running errands... the list is pretty long for the utility market if the public's mood is properly stimulated. Of course, changing the culture is a pretty tall order in historically car-centric countries or in environments that don't have the infrastructure or climate for sustained usage. I know a growing number of RV owners look at them as runabouts instead of towing around a car. If it gets a fat-body off the couch, I can't argue with that. Every little bit helps.

But, a performance eBike? This I'm not so fond of. Buying your way into a sporty paceline or reaching the top of a challenging climb with motor assist... it cheapens the endeavor. At a certain point such behavior will become normalized, much like doping was in the professional peloton in the late '90s and early '00s- what people think is a legitimate way to reach a certain level or performance. When it happens, I guess I'll stop racing and will be pedaling my dino-bike alone, getting brushed aside by fat, vaping kids on eBikes.

Getting slower is part of life. Get over it.

#47 ·
Again, I get the utility of an eBike. A lot of localities banned mopeds on the streets years ago (for various reasons), but have not extended the restrictions to eBikes (for various reasons). Some (not all) allow them on MUTs/MUPs. The bike manufacturers are recognizing the potential and are jumping on the bandwagon, hoping the trend has more legs than fatbikes, gravel bikes, or any of the other relatively niche markets they've saturated over the years. One less car out there running an individual to work, delivering Chinese food, running errands... the list is pretty long for the utility market if the public's mood is properly stimulated. Of course, changing the culture is a pretty tall order in historically car-centric countries or in environments that don't have the infrastructure or climate for sustained usage. I know a growing number of RV owners look at them as runabouts instead of towing around a car. If it gets a fat-body off the couch, I can't argue with that. Every little bit helps.

But, a performance eBike? This I'm not so fond of. Buying your way into a sporty paceline or reaching the top of a challenging climb with motor assist... it cheapens the endeavor. At a certain point such behavior will become normalized, much like doping was in the professional peloton in the late '90s and early '00s- what people think is a legitimate way to reach a certain level or performance. When it happens, I guess I'll stop racing and will be pedaling my dino-bike alone, getting brushed aside by fat, vaping kids on eBikes.

Getting slower is part of life. Get over it.
You ain't gonna be alone.

#50 ·
You can tell this guy hasn't ever had an e-bike, because he has no idea what he's talking about.

I average about 155bpm on my commute on an ebike. The new Specialied ebikes will even show you power, you can get as much of a workout as you want and tailor assist levels to speed/range. When you ride an ebike, you're still pedaling and moving. You're just getting there faster. Which, for me, with two small kids at home and limited time, is a pretty big deal - it's the difference between being able to commute on a bike and just not.

For someone getting back into riding, a recreational ride on an ebike is going to smooth out the parts of a ride that would blow them up and end it. Or that, even worse, would cause them to decide not to do it.

Ebikes are entirely underrated fitness tools.
But as he said in the OP he doesn't recover as quickly as he once did. So it doesn't matter if he uses a conventional bike or an e-bike to gain his fitness he's still gonna be hammered, as he said, for a couple of days. An hour pushing one self is an hour of pushing oneself and the need for recovery is there whether an e-bike or a conventional bike, so it'll take the same couple of days.

He also said that he wants something that turns heads, which leads me to believe that it's more about the illusion of fitness than true fitness.

Like I hinted at in another post, "Mid Life Crisis".

#51 · (Edited)
Yep. Been there and done that, while getting portly at age 41. Gave up the will for speed in my 60s. 10 years later, still fit as a fiddle, as one will be if he keeps riding, doesn't beat himself to a pulp, or get fat and portly. The cumulative effects of training add up over a lifetime and carry on when the furnace cools down. If an electric bike does it, sure. Just be nice to the guys on manual bikes! :D

#52 ·
Well,as expected there’s still a lot of ignorance surrounding the E bike thing. Some answers here are true gems. But hey, the industry is NOT investing millions in e bike R&D because people know better,that for sure.
Thats’s all folks,looking forward to show off my 8k euro Pinarello to compensate for my midlife crisis. Still cheaper than a mistress and a divorce I guess.

#54 ·
Well, there has always been money to be made in people that are looking for the easy path; fad diets and CoolSculpting being examples. That doesn't mean its a positive thing. Of course, it's you money and and can buy whatever you want. I am not so sure group rides will be all that welcoming of a high-zoot racing bike with a motor, so that may be a consideration if you are not thick skinned

#55 ·
Not pertinent to the discussion, but I spotted 2 Class-2 e-bikes heading onto the Bethpage State Park (NY) mt. bike/hiking trails today. Big batteries, big motors, if I hadn't seen the pedals I would have mistaken them for gas powered dirt motorcycles.

One rider had a nice mud racing stripe up his ass and jacket, so maybe using a touch too much throttle in the hills. I had just done a mt. bike loop, conditions were soft but dry, but I could see that these guys were likely making a bit of a mess. It's the local mountain bike club - CLIMB that A) Got permission to build the trail system, B) Does all the maintenance.

1) E-Bikes are illegal to ride on roads or paths in NY State. 2) E-Bikes are illegal to ride in NY State Parks. 3) E-bikes are illegal to ride on any trails, paved or dirt in NY State.

So ask me if I think e-bikes are a good thing.

#56 ·
The majority of the money to be made selling e-bikes is going to come from selling them to people who currently don't own a bike, or don't ride the one they have because they live in a hilly neighborhood.

My girlfriend, who has no interest in cycling beyond the occasional Sunday afternoon ride through the park, sent me a link to an ebike she saw advertised and asked me if it was a good deal (it wasn't).

I asked her why she was shopping for e-bikes. She said "it looks like fun. My girlfriend just got one and said she loved it".

I don't think there is a huge market selling drop bar electric road bikes to Roadies.

Commuters, cruisers, Urban/City bikes, cargo bikes, and even performance MTBs will be the primary market drivers.

#57 ·
Yes, absolutely! The ebike isn’t a bad idea... Quite the opposite, it’s a GREAT idea. It will serve and even create a new niche... It just isn’t a bicycle.

#59 ·
OK. It’s not a bicycle. I’m not concerned with how anyone else defines it... it’s a moped. It is EXACTLY a moped. This isn’t a critique... it is simply data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#60 ·
OK. It’s not a bicycle. I’m not concerned with how anyone else defines it... it’s a moped. It is EXACTLY a moped. This isn’t a critique... it is simply data.
PBL450 I agree with you 100% and, I've made that point a couple times... doesn't matter. Somehow, because the new mopeds use electric motors instead of combustion engines, they're "ebikes." They remind me of vegans and vegetarians - always making "bacon-flavored ___" or "____ sausage" You'll never catch an omnivore eating tofu-flavored bacon. And, we won't try to disguise a bicycle as a motorcycle... you know, and try to hide the pedals and convince you it's really a motorcycle.

#73 ·
Was out on a group ride once and we hammered it to catch some stoner (looked like) on an old school moped just because.
We were dead by the time we caught his wheel and couldn't pass. To make a short story even shorter he paced us at about 27mph for around 20 miles. That was pretty fun, and he got a big kick out of it too.

For the delicate flowers who are concerned over that......I didn't tell anyone I rode 27mph for 20 miles, we called his moped a moped, and I'm pretty sure none of us have it on strava.

#72 ·
M point was simply that that the ebike, IMO, is a great idea. It’s market is not going to be keeping aging cyclists riding longer with pedal assist. It’s money is going to come from a new niche rider using it as a commuter and townie. The pedals will simply act to allow it on a MUT. Does it belong there? I don’t think anything going fast belongs on MUTS, at least where I live where walkers and strollers and skaters are common... Is it cycling? Not in my opinion, and the fraction of the market that helps someone to continue to participate in the sport can define that however they like, including as ham sandwiches, but the market that will blow the lid off this idea doesn’t give half a crap about this debate. They are vaping teenagers as said, and eco friendly urbanites and people that want a cheap convenient townie... The 2 markets will not exist together... IMO.

#75 ·
I have several friends and relatives that have e-bikes (perhaps a dozen or more). Not one is under the age of 68 and all were serious cyclists -- some still are.

I have one that originally belonged to my wife that I use for fly fishing now and, as of a couple of weeks ago, there are two new ones in my garage.

My wife and I recently purchased two haibike mtbs with 150mm suspension for a couple of reasons. One reason is, once the snow clears, to get back to riding steep single track and abandoned logging roads that we enjoyed so much from the time we first met in the early 80's.

The second--- In the past several years our 1 1/2 mile trail has been relegated to our morning walks. It is really steep single track and on our best days I could ride the repeated 20 to 30% grades about 45 minutes before exhaustion. It is great interval training but sucks for endurance. The benefit of riding that trail surfaces during our cold and wet winters when we could ride in the worst weather, knowing that a hot shower and dry clothes were available immediately at the end of any given lap. In addition, we could ride the trail when it's frozen.

Well, riding the trail is back as I can now ride for an 90 minutes (7 laps) and have already been able to drop the assist level. With the weather finally getting better, I am mixing road rides on my regular bikes. I am enjoying my hi-mod even more now as the contrast between the 47 lb e-bike and the 15 lb hi-mod is big. On the other hand, the e-mtb is re-sharpening my reflexes as our trail has numerous steep and sharp hairpins that are a blast to descend.

The training benefit data of the e-mtb is not available, however, by mid July of this year I will have FTP data on my road bike to compare to the past 10 years to see if the decline of the past several years can be reversed. I'll be 75 yo and continue to believe that most of the loss of power generally related to aging is more related to getting lazier. Winning at anything in life is a process of elimination of the excuses that authorize failure and this e-mtb checks one more off of the list.

#80 · (Edited)
just dont be surprised when riders on bikes treat you differently
And why in the world one should even ever give a slightly F about how other people treat you ? Seriously dude,it’s just a bike and bike riding,you need to get your priorities worked out. Feel free to flip me when you’ll cross me or even pass me when i’ll be on my Nitro, that’ll boost your ego..

#88 ·
Do some homework before you buy a Nytro.

My local Pinarello dealer sent all of their Nytros back.

They had serious issues with the first few out of the box. They wouldn't even put them on the floor for customers to see them.

They didn't specify exactly what the problems were, but they did use some colorful language describing them.

#91 ·
Good to know,thanks. It’ll be another solid 2 years before I will seriously consider an e bike purchase. I talked about Nytro as an example as probably along with the Bianchi Aria is the only good looking,not in-your-face E bike.
This post was supposed to be some homework too,but as you see nazis and talibans stormed the place..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.