Anyone using custom shoes?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    191

    Anyone using custom shoes?

    I've been having a heck of a time finding decent shoes for my feet. Was wondering if anyone has gone the custom route and if so, how has it worked out. Thanks.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger H
    I've been having a heck of a time finding decent shoes for my feet. Was wondering if anyone has gone the custom route and if so, how has it worked out. Thanks.

    They're too expensive.

  3. #3
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger H
    I've been having a heck of a time finding decent shoes for my feet. Was wondering if anyone has gone the custom route and if so, how has it worked out. Thanks.
    I have some Lust's on order. They are going to be sick. http://www.lustracing.com/

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662

    Thumbs down $800?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb
    I have some Lust's on order. They are going to be sick. http://www.lustracing.com/

    What a rip-off! $800 for a pair of shoes?! That's criminal!

  5. #5
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62

    Rip off?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    What a rip-off! $800 for a pair of shoes?! That's criminal!
    Rip off? Did you look at any of the athletes who use them? Jonathan Vaughters, Tim DeBoom... Cipollini even said that they were cool. Better power transfer is worth the price (that equals more speed!).

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: RemmingtonShowdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    114
    I'm quite sure that an $800 check made out to a professional cycling coach would do infinetly more for one's speed than a pair of kicks. I heard a rumor that Bary Bonds is using steriods, anyone know where I can pick up some HGH, 'cause ya know I like to do whatever the pros do.

  7. #7
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by RemmingtonShowdown
    I'm quite sure that an $800 check made out to a professional cycling coach would do infinetly more for one's speed than a pair of kicks. I heard a rumor that Bary Bonds is using steriods, anyone know where I can pick up some HGH, 'cause ya know I like to do whatever the pros do.
    When you are at the highest level of competition, everything helps. That is why I am getting them.

    And let me guess, what pro cyclists use does not influence your spending decisions, ya right.

    How does this relate to baseball?

  8. #8
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by RemmingtonShowdown
    I'm quite sure that an $800 check made out to a professional cycling coach would do infinetly more for one's speed than a pair of kicks. I heard a rumor that Bary Bonds is using steriods, anyone know where I can pick up some HGH, 'cause ya know I like to do whatever the pros do.
    I thought you would "never skimp on shoes ..."? http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=7633

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by RemmingtonShowdown
    I'm quite sure that an $800 check made out to a professional cycling coach would do infinetly more for one's speed than a pair of kicks. I heard a rumor that Bary Bonds is using steriods, anyone know where I can pick up some HGH, 'cause ya know I like to do whatever the pros do.

    No offence, but this rational is a load of crap. Every single day we are fully influenced by what the pros ride. How else would you like to describe to someone why people feel the need to have 10 speed drivetrains, $180 helmets, $800+ wheelsets, $4000 bike frames, $125 shorts.... should I go on?

    Sure $800 is a lot to spend on a pair of shoes, but they are custom molded to your feet... I bet you don't see spending $2500 on a custom bike as any big deal, but yet there are plenty of perfectly good $800 frames on the market as well. Hell, Mario Cipollini won a Tour stage on a Cannondale frame that you can pick up for $400 right now. (And yes, I know the rumors about Cipo and custom bikes, but the CAAD 3 was the only Cannondale he actually rode...)

    I agree with the "where does it stop" mentality, but if someone wants to buy $800 custom shoes, let them. Do you get on people who buy $300 Sidi's right now? Why not? I bet it costs more than 3 times as much for Lust to handbuild a pair of custom one off carbon soled shoes than it costs Sidi to make a $300 pair of Ergo 1's. So really we should be pissed at Sidi... they are just as bad if not worse.

    I guess in a day and age when people will pay $300 for handlebars and $200 for seat posts and $6000 for bikes, I don't see why the uproar over a pair of custom one off shoes.

    Russ

  10. #10
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by russw19
    No offence, but this rational is a load of crap. Every single day we are fully influenced by what the pros ride. How else would you like to describe to someone why people feel the need to have 10 speed drivetrains, $180 helmets, $800+ wheelsets, $4000 bike frames, $125 shorts.... should I go on?

    Sure $800 is a lot to spend on a pair of shoes, but they are custom molded to your feet... I bet you don't see spending $2500 on a custom bike as any big deal, but yet there are plenty of perfectly good $800 frames on the market as well. Hell, Mario Cipollini won a Tour stage on a Cannondale frame that you can pick up for $400 right now. (And yes, I know the rumors about Cipo and custom bikes, but the CAAD 3 was the only Cannondale he actually rode...)

    I agree with the "where does it stop" mentality, but if someone wants to buy $800 custom shoes, let them. Do you get on people who buy $300 Sidi's right now? Why not? I bet it costs more than 3 times as much for Lust to handbuild a pair of custom one off carbon soled shoes than it costs Sidi to make a $300 pair of Ergo 1's. So really we should be pissed at Sidi... they are just as bad if not worse.

    I guess in a day and age when people will pay $300 for handlebars and $200 for seat posts and $6000 for bikes, I don't see why the uproar over a pair of custom one off shoes.

    Russ

    Ahh...someone that sees the light behind this. We are all bike freaks, and this is one of those bike freak things.

  11. #11
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb
    I have some Lust's on order. They are going to be sick. http://www.lustracing.com/
    Man, those are some freaky looking shoes. The site says "Carbon fiber and Kevlar make up 100% of the shoe's shell." It also says they're 100% waterproof. Are the uppers made of a breathable, soft material? They're not rock solid on the uppers are they?

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662

    Lightbulb Bullshit detector <beep> <beep> <beep>

    To the people who keep advertising: Please preface your replies with the words, Special Advertising Section, so that everybody else will know the pretty slick tricks being used are purely promotional material for such and such company.
    Last edited by Ricky2; 06-12-2004 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling

  13. #13
    Censored by *********
    Reputation: purplepaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,397
    I'd agree with you if what you suggest were true in this case. But, all you have to do is check out their other posts to see if every single one is hyping a specific product or company. That's not true here. On top of that, Lust is a tiny boutique manufacturer that has been raising eyebrows for years in the inline skating community with their $2500 monocoque skates. They rely mostly on word of mouth for sales and are not likely to endanger their reputation by covertly posting on RBR.

    It never ceases to amaze me how one person's choice can invite such vitriol. In other words, give the guy a break. He likes the shoes. What's it to you?




    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    To the people who keep advertising: Please preface your replies with the words, Special Advertising Section, so that everybody else will know the pretty slick tricks being used are purely promotional material for such and such company.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.

    Charles Darwin

  14. #14
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    To the people who keep advertising: Please preface your replies with the words, Special Advertising Section, so that everybody else will know the pretty slick tricks being used are purely promotional material for such and such company.
    Are you referring to me? I guarantee I'm in no way affiliated with that shoe company. I do like shoes though. And as purplepaul suggested, you can search my previous posts.

    See:
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sea...searchid=56041

  15. #15
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Man, those are some freaky looking shoes. The site says "Carbon fiber and Kevlar make up 100% of the shoe's shell." It also says they're 100% waterproof. Are the uppers made of a breathable, soft material? They're not rock solid on the uppers are they?
    The uppers are a very see-through mesh over the toes, and the straps are made of seatbelts with velcro attached. The weight for the pair is 254 grams, for comparison the Nike Poggio II's are about 600g, and the new Shimano R-215 are 630 grams. Now that is a big difference!

  16. #16
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb
    The uppers are a very see-through mesh over the toes, and the straps are made of seatbelts with velcro attached. The weight for the pair is 254 grams, for comparison the Nike Poggio II's are about 600g, and the new Shimano R-215 are 630 grams. Now that is a big difference!
    That is a big difference. What materials are the orthotic footbeds made out of?

  17. #17
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    That is a big difference. What materials are the orthotic footbeds made out of?
    Well, your foot is cast in plaster, then a carbon fiber molded to conform your foot exactly. A soft layer of foam is applied to the inside of the shoe over the carbon. There is not really an orthotic footbed, the sole of the shoe is orthotic.

  18. #18
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb
    Well, your foot is cast in plaster, then a carbon fiber molded to conform your foot exactly. A soft layer of foam is applied to the inside of the shoe over the carbon. There is not really an orthotic footbed, the sole of the shoe is orthotic.

    I see. Does the company offer free adjustments if necessary? Sometimes one's foot can't tolerate the amount of orthotic (in this case shoe) correction.

  19. #19
    The Beast
    Reputation: bikerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I see. Does the company offer free adjustments if necessary? Sometimes one's foot can't tolerate the amount of orthotic (in this case shoe) correction.
    Ya, they will do some adjusting after the shoe is made.

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    75

    schweet!

    254g!! sweet! and I thought my Pog II's were lite.... damn!

    Quote Originally Posted by bikerb
    The uppers are a very see-through mesh over the toes, and the straps are made of seatbelts with velcro attached. The weight for the pair is 254 grams, for comparison the Nike Poggio II's are about 600g, and the new Shimano R-215 are 630 grams. Now that is a big difference!

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662

    Thumbs down Dude $800 is still a rip, no matter if they mold it to your ****

    What's it to me? Not much at all. But my take is if they can to capitalize on rich people and charge their $800 shoes sales, fine with me. Its a rip! But, its good to know that there are companies out there that cater purely to the moneybags so that we can keep cycling going the way of an elitist, rich man's sport; that we can keep more inner city kids out of this wonderful sport.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    ...so that we can keep cycling going the way of an elitist, rich man's sport; that we can keep more inner city kids out of this wonderful sport.
    That's lame, no one is forcing kids to buy $800 shoes, they aren't a mandatory part of cycling that you must have before you can ride a bike. You can still pick up a huffy at wal-mart for 100 bucks or whatever they cost and go ride. It's great to have options and choice...
    Last edited by bostonkiwi; 06-13-2004 at 10:11 AM.

  23. #23

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    662

    Lightbulb OK, good point

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonkiwi
    That's lame, no one is forcing kids to buy $800 shoes, they aren't a mandatory part of cycling that you must have before you can ride a bike. You can still pick up a huffy at wal-mart for 100 bucks or whatever they cost and go ride. It's great to have options and choice...

    Alright, I thought about it. Actually, you do have a valid point. It is a free market and while $800 may be a lot for most, there are some buyers out there. Its just sad to see that everything is cycling is becoming more and more expensive. Makes it hard for kids to get involved in this sport. But alas, its not like the shoe company is breaking the law or anything. They are just supplying a product that is bought by those that want and can afford it. Too bad, it doesn't include me, but I'm sure there are those out there that will be very happy to be fitted up with a custom boot.

  24. #24
    Cyclocross is Seasonal?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    Alright, I thought about it. Actually, you do have a valid point. It is a free market and while $800 may be a lot for most, there are some buyers out there. Its just sad to see that everything is cycling is becoming more and more expensive. Makes it hard for kids to get involved in this sport. But alas, its not like the shoe company is breaking the law or anything. They are just supplying a product that is bought by those that want and can afford it. Too bad, it doesn't include me, but I'm sure there are those out there that will be very happy to be fitted up with a custom boot.
    Have you thought about how much orthotics alone cost? To go to someone like Bill Peterson you are talking upwards of $300. Throw in another $200-300+ for production shoes and $800 for full custom shoes doesn't seem all that steep. For those of us with leg alignment problems (and those who don't know alignment is their problem) being able to ride as much as we'd like without pain for only $800 is worth it.

    I certainly don't have that kind of dough, but I recently got hooked up with a set of custom cycling orthotics in trade for some writing work (who says that an English degree is worthless?) and I am happy as a clam. I can finally ride without pain for the first time in years. If spending $800 makes someone more comfortable on the bike, prevents injury, and increases power it's worth it.

    The fact is that most people who are buying custom shoes are either elite athletes spending 30+ hours a week on the bike and people with alignment/comfort issues that cannot be solved by a custom footbed and production shoe.

    I don't think expensive custom shoes are keeping kids out of the sport.

  25. #25

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    Alright, I thought about it. Actually, you do have a valid point. It is a free market and while $800 may be a lot for most, there are some buyers out there. Its just sad to see that everything is cycling is becoming more and more expensive. Makes it hard for kids to get involved in this sport. But alas, its not like the shoe company is breaking the law or anything. They are just supplying a product that is bought by those that want and can afford it. Too bad, it doesn't include me, but I'm sure there are those out there that will be very happy to be fitted up with a custom boot.
    This has zero to do with kids getting into the sport. Lust shoes offers a custom service for people who may not fit a traditional shoe for whatever reasons. They will handbuild you a custom carbon fiber pair of cycling shoes. They will take molds of your exact foot and build a shoe for you. Period. That is very labor intensive and so it costs money.

    Now if you really want to get pissy about cycling footwear, go after Nike for charging $200 for their Poggio shoes which cost them $22.73 a pair to make. That's criminal. But a guy charging $800 for a pair of shoes that will require something like 20 man hours to build.. not that bad. There are companies that can build frames faster than you can custom mold a pair of shoes. On top of that, these shoes are built right here in the good ol' US of A, not in some Vietnamese factory.

    Complaining about these shoes is like screaming bloody murder at anyone who has a custom bike built for them rather than buy an over priced Trek. (and for the record, I like Trek and their products, but they are overpriced right now...)

    Nike charges $275 for their top of the line road shoe, Diadora also $275. Sidi $350. But you can get Lake's 303, their top of the line kangaroo skin, carbon soled shoe for $140. Ask anyone who has riden a pair of Lake shoes... they build good stuff, and cheap. Seems that if this issue bothers you that much, you should go after Nike, Diadora, Northwave, Carnac, or DMT before you get mad about a custom hand built to your exact specs shoe.

    Just my thoughts...

    Russ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bad back & custom ti builders?
    By wwtsui in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 04:52 PM
  2. Numb toes = time for new shoes? (xpost from General)
    By innergel in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 09:16 AM
  3. Cycling shoes for someone with wide feet
    By pnitefly in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 06:56 PM
  4. need help with shoes
    By dovid in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 08:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.