• 04-30-2011
    Tahoe Gator
    Anyone using tubeless on non-tubeless rims (Stan's)
    I currently have a Campy Shamal Ultra two-way wheelset and really like riding them with tubeless tires. I'm looking at some carbon clinchers and none (other than Corima's Aero+Tubeless which no one seems to sell) are tubeless, so I'm wondering about buying a standard clincher set and running them tubeless. Apparently it works so long as you use tubeless specific tires (e.g., Hutchinson) and some Stan's. Anyone doing this?

Info on Stan's:
    http://www.notubes.com/Road-Tubeless-C78.aspx
  • 04-30-2011
    cxwrench
    i've set up numerous alloy wheels w/ the stans kit and it always works great. both of the times i've tried w/ carbon clincher rims (edge/enve) it's doable, but a major pain. not sure why, maybe the sharper edge of the hook on the carbon rim makes it harder for the tire to bead up...but it's definitely a pain. ymmv...
  • 05-01-2011
    spookyload
    Question for you cxwrench. How is Stans with Michelin cross tires? I have a new set of green sprint tires o would love to use tubeless on a commuter. I looked into it a few years back and they didn't recommend using them with cross tires.
  • 05-02-2011
    pmt
    Lots of us are; just use the correct search term "Road Tubeless" and search the forums.
  • 05-02-2011
    spookyload
    Adding another kink to the plan...it is on Ksryiums. I haven't heard good things about Ksyriums with tubeless.
  • 05-02-2011
    pdainsworth
    I ran Ksyrium SL's tubeless with Specialized Turbo TL tires for over a year with no issues. Great ride.
  • 05-02-2011
    cxwrench
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spookyload
    Question for you cxwrench. How is Stans with Michelin cross tires? I have a new set of green sprint tires o would love to use tubeless on a commuter. I looked into it a few years back and they didn't recommend using them with cross tires.

i have no idea about the michelins. a guy i work w/ runs hutchinsons and has had good luck w/ that, so it seems like it works.
  • 05-02-2011
    strathconaman
    I used Mud2's on Alpha 340 rims this season. I have my tubulars up for sale.
  • 05-02-2011
    brians647
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cxwrench
    i have no idea about the michelins. a guy i work w/ runs hutchinsons and has had good luck w/ that, so it seems like it works.

Wait a second...
    Using non-tubeless-specific tires in a tubeless setup? I thought that was a huge no-no?

Similarly, if you use a tubeless-specific tire on a regular/converted rim, does the bead lock in to the rim as well as a tubeless-designed setup (7850's, for example) should you get a flat? The safety of the "ride-flat" aspect is a selling point, and I'm wondering if it's valid and/or retained with Stan's.
  • 05-02-2011
    DonDenver
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brians647
    Wait a second...
    Using non-tubeless-specific tires in a tubeless setup? I thought that was a huge no-no?

Well it is for me and for those IMO 170 lbs or more flying down a mountain sweeper so fast that cars can’t catch you. To me a shaped carbon bead snapping squarely into a TL rim is safer at the margin than steel or a Kevlar cord. Granted I’m not happy with the lack of tire options out there…but anything “conversion” is half measure. Otherwise slap on your light tube and favorite rubber if you’re opposed to riding tubular until options for TL tires improve.