Ar there a short section of your favorite ride that is dangerous or scary?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Are there a short section of your favorite ride that is dangerous or scary?

About an hour and a half into my favorite ride I have to ride a half mile on a moderately busy 55 MPH highway and cross a narrow two hundred foot long bridge that's two hundred feet above the river and rocks. It has a very narrow lane between the road and the guardrail. The guardrail is about 4 feet high and if I were blown over by the often strong cross winds or hit by a car I'd be launched over it. The approach is slightly down hill so I can gain speed, but I'm afraid to cross it at more than 20 MPH. The ride is too good to pass up. It uptakes me along the river canyon where twice I stop to eat half an energy bar with my legs dangling over the two hundred foot canyon to the river and it's three hundred feet to the other side of the canyon.. Lots of hawks and other birds, deer and elk are everywhere.There are a few places I can see nine or more snow capped volcano/mountains It's very rural and has several long straight sprint sections and 5 long steep climbs on rural no traffic roads. Three sections where I dive down into thee river canyons. The ride is 54 miles long and I love all but the twenty seconds it takes me to cross the bridge.

Deshutes-River-2.jpgCline-Falls-Hwy2.jpg
    Last edited by walrus; 05-01-2019 at 12:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    a short dangerous segment would tend to be a buzzkill for me

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes. Not necessarily a favorite route. But a bridge on my work commute. It's a short bridge, maybe 200ft. But...
    Single lane (heavy) traffic.
    55+mph in both directions.
    No shoulder.
    Steep downhill from the opposite direction.
    Blind corner from my direction.

And I have to turn left immediately after the bridge, with no turning lane. It's the bottleneck of death.

Hence I don't commute as much as I'd like to. But they're currently replacing the bridge, so I have hopes they make it wider.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I live in North Dakota. My usual short ride in the mornings begins with 3 miles on a state highway. No real shoulder, 65mph. I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but ND drivers seem to be either extremely courteous or extremely ignorant. I've thankfully seen more of the courteous type, but there's no middle ground.

Anyway, I generally head out at 5AM and the rising sun is at my back. With little traffic and my tail light, it's not been too much of an issue. I made the mistake of trying that loop after work one time last summer and never again. I have a helmet mirror I use so I can prepare to head for the ditch if I think someones not seeing me. That's the only time I've actually had to exercise that maneuver and quickly decided to get off that road and use the gravel.

Neophyte
    I can totally relate. A few great rides in my area require short segments through bike-unfriendly roads and it is definitely frustrating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are tons of "segments" round here depending on your comfort zone.

One that I take but cause pause to others is US40 'tween Englewood & Vandalia, OH. the roadbed is two lanes across the top of Englewood Dam.

The dam often represents the most efficient route whereas, you could take much less traffic to the valley floor (either side) and be presented with modest climbs (valley floor roads rarely flood out completely). Downriver side is much more circuitous.

There are no legal restrictions for cyclists even though it is a 2 lane portion of a US highway with essentially no shoulder. While I've never encountered over aggressive or impatient drivers, it can't be ruled out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live and ride on the Jersey Shore. Difficult parts of rides are omnipresent. Mostly, the traffic patterns are reliably predictable and I can plan around that. At times, I will just stop and have some water and wait until a difficult situation self-resolves. I will manipulate my speed when I approach a squeeze section. I find, as someone who rides with lots of cars on non cycling friendly roads, that using common sense and planning your rides is so important. I NEVER assume I am protected or the priority in traffic behavior. I cross through dangerously close passes on every ride. Meh.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    As advice, go as fast as you can to get over it quickly and take the lane so that anybody in a passing vehicle has to either move into the oncoming lane, or wait. You don't want to give them enough room to buzz you. If they see you are hammering with a high pedal cadence they sometimes will be patient.

I have a few short bridges on certain rides. I use this tactic and it sometimes works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    As advice, go as fast as you can to get over it quickly and take the lane so that anybody in a passing vehicle has to either move into the oncoming lane, or wait. You don't want to give them enough room to buzz you. If they see you are hammering with a high pedal cadence they sometimes will be patient.

I have a few short bridges on certain rides. I use this tactic and it sometimes works.
    Traffic = intervals
    Too old to ride plastic

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    A long time ago I used to regularly ride across the Golden Gate Bridge, west side at the time was for bikes only. It was a little bit nerve wracking, guard rail at slightly below shoulder height with drop to ocean on one side, traffic on the other with about a 2 foot barrier. On most days, unless dead calm, the wind would really whip as you come around the stanchions and almost blow you over. Last time I visited the bridge and walked out on it I was a little edgy, curious how I would handle the ride now.

These days I tend to avoid narrow, heavily trafficked roads and if needed will load my bike in the car to drive out past those choke points. There are couple of routes around here that are regularly used by bikes but I donít think itís worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

I use this tactic and it sometimes works.
    uh, and when it doesn't...?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    uh, and when it doesn't...?
    They buzz you anyway and often use the horn.

Your suggestion ?