arione and saddle sores-saddle recommendations
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004

arione and saddle sores-saddle recommendations

I've been suffering from perpetual saddle sores which I believe I've traced to my fizik arione saddle. They occur symmetrically right where I contact the seams for the center insert.

I've followed all recommended precautions regarding generous application of chamois cream, hygiene, getting out of my shorts immediately following a ride etc...to no avail. I think I will splurge on some assos chamois cream however(I've been using chamois butt'r).

It's a shame really as the shape of the arione is absolutely perfect, and is really the first saddle I've owned that has not caused ANY numbness. It's also very comfy....right up to the 1 hour mark when I can feel the sore spot develop. Even if I lay off for a week, the sores come right back immediately.

I've decided to try a different saddle, but what ? Saddles I've owned have been:

Fizik Aliante (Loved it. The most comfy I've ever ridden, but the concave shape caused numbness),

Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am -( like the relatively flat shape, but not the cutout - heavy)

Flite Trans Am - came stock on my TCR - (cutout felt like sitting on two knifeblades )

SLR gel flow (SLR gel w/cutout) - (not bad , but it's on my MTB so I don't actually sit on it that much while riding. generally like the shape though.)

I've pretty much decided I need a flatter the profile the better, or I go numb. I've also determined that cutouts are no fix for a poorly suited seat, and in fact ruin a perfectly good seat as in the case of the flight vs flight trans am. I'm thinking either "regular" SLR or Flite Ti. I'm not overly concerned with weight but the flight ti is about as heavy as I want to go.

Does anyone have experience with both these saddles? Other possibilities ? I've even thought of having the Arione recovered with no seams, but don't know where to start there.

Thanks

Jun 2005

Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Windchill
    I've been suffering from perpetual saddle sores which I believe I've traced to my fizik arione saddle. They occur symmetrically right where I contact the seams for the center insert.

I've followed all recommended precautions regarding generous application of chamois cream, hygiene, getting out of my shorts immediately following a ride etc...to no avail. I think I will splurge on some assos chamois cream however(I've been using chamois butt'r).

It's a shame really as the shape of the arione is absolutely perfect, and is really the first saddle I've owned that has not caused ANY numbness. It's also very comfy....right up to the 1 hour mark when I can feel the sore spot develop. Even if I lay off for a week, the sores come right back immediately.

I've decided to try a different saddle, but what ? Saddles I've owned have been:

Fizik Aliante (Loved it. The most comfy I've ever ridden, but the concave shape caused numbness),

Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am -( like the relatively flat shape, but not the cutout - heavy)

Flite Trans Am - came stock on my TCR - (cutout felt like sitting on two knifeblades )

SLR gel flow (SLR gel w/cutout) - (not bad , but it's on my MTB so I don't actually sit on it that much while riding. generally like the shape though.)

I've pretty much decided I need a flatter the profile the better, or I go numb. I've also determined that cutouts are no fix for a poorly suited seat, and in fact ruin a perfectly good seat as in the case of the flight vs flight trans am. I'm thinking either "regular" SLR or Flite Ti. I'm not overly concerned with weight but the flight ti is about as heavy as I want to go.

Does anyone have experience with both these saddles? Other possibilities ? I've even thought of having the Arione recovered with no seams, but don't know where to start there.

Thanks
    have you checked the specialized Alias. It comes with 3 sizes, so
    you can get right one for your anatomy.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=10121

I changed my saddle to this one becuase of the numbness. This
    saddle fixed. I have never had saddle sore (knocking on wood!)
    so I cannot give any feedback about it on this saddle. the 3 different
    width sizes is good because you can select the one the fit you
    the best. Maybe the fit could be the issue. Also, probably healing
    of the sores could take more than a week. give it several weeks,
    my guess..

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's good to see I'm not alone...my LBS thought I was nuts that the Airone had shredded my bum after my first two-hour ride. Personally, I think saddle choice is a pure personal experience deal...what works for one, is horrible for another. I went back to my Selle SLR Gel Flow (with cutout), but it ain't exactly love here...simply good enough. I'm still searching for that "just right" saddle....
    You're not as smart as you think I am. Now just think about that for a minute.

eminence grease
    I ride an Arione (among others) and have concluded that for me, it is extremely sensitive to angle, fore/aft and height.

On one bike, it just disappears the moment I get on it. On another, it drives me nuts. Found this out the hard way - much the same way you are - and messed first with height to get it to work. The one that's bugging me was just put on and I'm sure it's not dialed in.

You might consider playing around with position before throwing in the towel. I don't think more or less or different chamois cream is going to help. I tried that too. While I've never believed that 2 or 3 mm of positional change was detectable, this saddle is challenging my assumptions.

One other thing to consider - I covered the slits with some fabric tape. They were wearing a hole in my cheeks much the way embroidery does on other saddles. That helped immediately.

In terms of alternatives - the two that have worked for me without fail are the Avocet O2 and the Fizik Pave. I also have an Aliante and find that it too required more attention, just like its cousin. If your problem with this type of saddle is numbness, I'd really suggest tinkering more with position. I am of the opinion that any saddle can be made to work with enough patience. The combination of Arione problems and problems with others makes me wonder if you're running a smidgen too high. I was when I was suffereing from the same things.

Windrider (Stubborn)

As Terry says.......

mess around with saddle position before you throw it away.

One more thing to try is a different type of riding shorts. Sometimes the seams in a seat line up perfectly with seams in the shorts. Don't know if this is your problem, but it's worth a shot.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Ditto. And it is a shame because I'm faster just looking at that saddle. I just bought another San Marco Rolls to replace one 15 yrs old. This saddle has been made for 30 years and does not have the modern look but it works for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Sounds like we've got a similar build. I love my Aliante, but there is some numbness every now and then if I'm not paying attention to my position. Same result as you regarding the Flite Trans Am w/cutout - ouch.

I recently got an Arione for another bike. The fitter that installed it initially set it up with the nose down just a slight bit - again, a slight bit.

I've gotten 4 rides in on in so far over two weeks (longest are two 62 and 63 milers, the second following a 63 mile ride on the Aliante the day before). I really like the Arione thus far, but I've yet to decide which saddle I like best out of the two.

I agree with what the others have said, I'd tinker with the setup a bit before tossing it. Also, it seems that shorts and saddles are kind of a combination in that I like one pair of shorts more than another when riding the Aliante. It might be worth trying a different brand of shorts.

Feb 2005

i have one and love it...

no problems with saddle sores. before this one, i always used take off cannondale coda labeled seats. they had some super flat ones that worked for me and i could buy from a local shop cheap. i think they were made by velo. check out a cannondale dealer and look at some of their stock seats.

Mar 2004
    I tried an Arione on my TCR last summer and I couldn't ride 5mi on it... My new bike came with an Arione and I am doing 3-400mi a week on it now... The difference is the new one has a super slippery cover, even in the middle, while the one I had last summer had a grippy center section... I've also found it to be very dependent on angle, moreso than other saddles... I have mine totally level which makes it look like it is nosed up a few degrees... The seams on mine are very nearly smooth... Nothing like the one I had last summer with the grippy center section... I am able to do 100mi rides with no chamois lube or anything at all, just plain old Voler bibs and the saddle... I've done 14 centuries on this saddle so far since the first of June with absolutely no problems... Before I got this saddle I was using a Flite Trans Am that worked, but it pinched me a bit where the cutout was and sometimes gave me blood blisters...
    Last edited by Xyzzy; 07-06-2005 at 05:50 PM.

Cannot bench own weight
    They don't look good on new bikes, but a Brooks B17 solved all of my issues. I don't even need any cream in the shorts. Did 160 miler on sunday and was find "down there."