article in NY Times today says: keep your inside pedal down when cornering
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

article in NY Times today says: keep your inside pedal down when cornering

When negotiating curves, he said, position your feet so that the pedal on the inside of the curve is down, with the outside pedal up (which keeps your weight balanced).

got to be a mis-quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/fa...19fitness.html

Yo no fui.
    NY Times = fail.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

"Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

"A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars.” Laurent Fignon

Slightly Opinionated
    Interesting article. Weird to hear people refer to "Mr. Vaughters" or "Mr. Vande Velde."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Yep, that is a typo.

More interesting in that article is that Vaughters claims a cyclist has to spring for at least $1,500 for a race bike. Don't know about that. The best racing I ever did was on a $279 alu frame with old, 9-speed Ultegra and Mike Garcia wheels. Discuss.
    Riding to break the cycle of breast cancer in the Young Survival Coalition Tour de Pink--3 days, 200 miles.
    www.ysctourdepink.org

Banned forever.....or not
    Think about it. You're on the bell lap. You go into the final turn in front. What's gonna' happen when you purposely drag your inside pedal when it's slightly back?
    Answer: Everybody thinks that you're gonna' crash, so they back off for an instant.

$1500 min. for a race bike......I agree.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Did that once when I started riding with clipless pedals. Just once. Luckily I did not go down.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    I knew I was doing it wrong.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Call me a Fred
    That's good advice to give to those who you are racing against. Does he recommend greasing the brakes?
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

RoadBikeReview Member
    What, you mean that shower of sparks doesn't show how cool I am?!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by team_sheepshead
    Yep, that is a typo.

More interesting in that article is that Vaughters claims a cyclist has to spring for at least $1,500 for a race bike. Don't know about that. The best racing I ever did was on a $279 alu frame with old, 9-speed Ultegra and Mike Garcia wheels. Discuss.
    um... doing a little math here...

$279 for the frame
    $600 for the group
    $300 for the wheels

That puts you at $1179 before taxes, shipping, bars, stem, wrap, tires, tubes, seat post, saddle, and pedals. That is also assuming you already have all the other gear (helmet, shoes, shorts...etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I believe you could safely race a bike that cost less than <$1500. Even quite a bit less if you buy used. However, a NEW race worthy bike with decent (read - entry level) quality parts would run no less than about $700+tax before pedals, cyclometer, water bottles and cages... etc.

I don't want to sound like a bike snob but I am pretty sure no one wants to be in a pack of 30 or 40 riders negotiating a descent at 35+mph inches away from a guy on a Walmart bike.
    Tyler, you are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met.

For president!
    Looks like they already fixed it:

When negotiating curves, he said, position your feet so that the pedal on the inside of the curve is up, with the outside pedal down (which keeps your weight balanced). “Don’t throw your bike from one corner to another,” he said. “Brake before the turn, and turn gradually, aiming for the apex.”
    Formidable Pharmacologically

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    $1500? What kind of races are we talking about? I have done a couple criteriums and been pretty competitive on a $330 Bikesdirect special with a $200 Mavic wheelset. Granted we're talking CAT5, but it sounds like this article was geared toward more beginner
    cyclists anyway. As long as it has good tires, fits and shifts correctly I am going to hold off buying a new bike.

Never trust a man wearing argile

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchristian
    $1500? What kind of races are we talking about?

Never trust a man wearing argile
    I would trust the man in argyle. I think what he said is eminently reasonable. Here is a longer quote:

FIRST, SPEND WISELY “If you want to race, you will have to spring for a $1,500 to $2,000” road racing bicycle, said Jonathan Vaughters, the manager for Mr. Vande Velde’s cycling team, which added a sponsor this week and is now called Team Garmin/Chipotle with H3O.

But don’t feel pressured to overbuy, Mr. Vaughters said. “The difference between a $500 bike and a $1,500 bike is huge,” he said. “The difference between a $1,500 bike and an $8,000 bike is very small.” Invest the saving in good-quality bike shorts with a firm, thick pad and a price tag north of $75. “That may be the best thing you can buy, in terms of comfort,” Mr. Vaughters said.

I don't have the time or inclination to do a search of all of the "I want advice on buying a good, entry level road bike" questions here on RBR. But, going from my memory of reading most of those posts over the past several years, I think that the price point that usually comes up is not too far from JV's $1500.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Then set about increasing your average wattage. Mr. Vande Velde does this by punctuating rides with five minute “power bursts,” dropping into a low gear, pushing his pedals as hard as he can, his wheels turning at his top sustainable watts and barely 50 revolutions per minute.
    Drop to a lower gear to mash. Got it. Thanks NYTimes. I always that it was the other way around.