Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGuy View Post
    I literally, love, cycling. I will never quit until I'm no longer physically able to do it. That said it always distresses me how overpriced the mainstream general world of serious recreational road biking is.
    nah, while many cycling items are 'overpriced,' the sport is actually pretty cheap compared to many others.

after the initial outlay for a bike (and there's a lot of very nice used ones out there that are pretty affordable), a few hundo on apparel and basic roadside tools, there's really not that much to invest in.

in a year, I'll typically only 'have' to buy a chain, a couple of tires, and some bar tape. that's not going to break anyone's bank or cause 'distress'...

if you get into shaving weight off the bike, you can drop stupid money, but there's really no requirement to go that route.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

banned
    Nov 2009
    try buying $175 rear superbike tires every 1500 or so miles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I think that Performance/Nashbar worked better as an online-only retailer. Chain bike stores have a lot of overhead, and rarely give the personalized service that a small LBS can.
    Yep. Very funny, their first shop in NVA was a walk-in storefront with nothing in the room, only a long counter above which was a U shaped conveyor belt with hooks on it that went through doors to a "warehouse."

The walk in customer would order from the catalog; clerk would punch in the sale; a few minutes later a package would come rolling out with customer's name on it. It was clear then, the guy wasn't interested in becoming a patron of bike culture, like the LBS, but was solely interested in making big bucks as efficiently as possible. So, yes, they should have stayed a mail order house.

And even then, Arnie Nashbar had more interesting products on sale, like Campy, that Performance ignored without the slightest guilt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    try buying $175 rear superbike tires every 1500 or so miles
    What?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I had a similar experience when I bought my Fuji Transonic from my local independent bike shop.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    nah, while many cycling items are 'overpriced,' the sport is actually pretty cheap compared to many others.

after the initial outlay for a bike (and there's a lot of very nice used ones out there that are pretty affordable), a few hundo on apparel and basic roadside tools, there's really not that much to invest in.
    Yea. Cycling doesn't 'need' to be over priced.

$1000 for an ultegra equipped bike. You don't need any more. Investment will last a long time with just chains and tires.
    https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8521
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I was a store manager for them for a year after they bought up the remains of Bikes USA-best two minimum wage jobs I ever had.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The last two versions of the Ultra bibs have been truly fantastic (previous versions have been spotty). Other than that, eh... not really a big loss. The two stores in my area are apparently staying open.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    The last two versions of the Ultra bibs have been truly fantastic (previous versions have been spotty). Other than that, eh... not really a big loss. The two stores in my area are apparently staying open.
    Our local Performance is on the block.... chop chop chop. Course, quite a few traditional shops in the area are doing their happy dance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Has a list of stores they are going to close been published somewhere? GOOGLE hasn't helped me find one yet.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Has a list of stores they are going to close been published somewhere? GOOGLE hasn't helped me find one yet.
    I was wondering that too. The one thing my local Performance store has that other LBS's don't is they actually have lots of stock and variety (unless you consider your choice of either Bontrager or Specialized accessories and clothing as "variety"). I pine for the days when you could go to a LBS and browse

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Take a look at
    https://www.performancebike.com/shop...ormance-update
    that's probably the list of stores which are being closed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Take a look at
    Thanks, that makes sense
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Time View Post
    Take a look at
    This is the list of stores scheduled to be closed. However, with filing Chapter 11, it gives Performance leverage to re-negotiate leases. Most of the stores listed are paying HUGE monthly leases. Example, Berkley, CA store has a 20k a month lease. So it's not profitable for the store to stay open when cost of business is so high.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    That link also mentions that they are suspending auto-renewals and removing the free 2 day shipping for the Team Performance club.

I wonder if that means they are doing away with it, or just preparing for the store closings.

Two out of the three stores in my region are closing. I'm a little surprised they chose to leave the most expensive location to stay open (very expensive property in a high-tech neighborhood). Fortunately, it's close enough to my work that I can stop in on occasion during a lunch break to stock up on clif blocks and such....

banned
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    That link also mentions that they are suspending auto-renewals and removing the free 2 day shipping for the Team Performance club.

I wonder if that means they are doing away with it, or just preparing for the store closings.

Two out of the three stores in my region are closing. I'm a little surprised they chose to leave the most expensive location to stay open (very expensive property in a high-tech neighborhood). Fortunately, it's close enough to my work that I can stop in on occasion during a lunch break to stock up on clif blocks and such....
    In SF ?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Mine in Virginia is starting to take on the look of a closing store with gaps in the merchandise displays, etc. They started at everything 30% off and now moving to 30-40%. Someone serendipitously, I bought a bottle of Finish Line lube to replace the bottle I bought at a bike shop closing in Richmond about 15 years ago.

Interesting regarding the auto-renewals. I was a Performance Team member until 10 years or so ago when they started the auto-renewal policy. I didn't want to have to go through extra steps for them to not charge my card, so just bailed out.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Rumors on the internet say that ASI's attempt to restructure was rejected....and all Performance stores are now on the chopping/auction block, instead of the original 40.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Adorable Furry Hombre
    All performance locations are officially being liquidated

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...s#.XAU-mxiIb3A

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always thought their prices were decent when they ran big sales but even that the price was on par with Jenson or ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Their house brand Scattante aka "The bike whose first name is Scat" came out after I left-which marketing genius thought that one up?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    When everyone can save 20-40% ordering online, the only way for brick and mortar stores to survive is to provide high-level expert advice and service, and high-end product - let's face it, people are more likely to drop big $ when they can hold something in their hand and oohhh and ahhhh over it and wax rhapsodic about it with an expert shop employee. Performance had none of this. They carried mostly low-end, low-margin product from bikes to clothing to components. There was nothing there for the enthusiast to go in and browse/lust after and make an impulse buy on the way out. Club-rides were mostly short/slow and no "A" rides (that I ever saw). Not aware that they ever sponsored *local* events or bike advocacy either.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    When everyone can save 20-40% ordering online, the only way for brick and mortar stores to survive is to provide high-level expert advice and service, and high-end product - let's face it, people are more likely to drop big $ when they can hold something in their hand and oohhh and ahhhh over it and wax rhapsodic about it with an expert shop employee. Performance had none of this. They carried mostly low-end, low-margin product from bikes to clothing to components. There was nothing there for the enthusiast to go in and browse/lust after and make an impulse buy on the way out. Club-rides were mostly short/slow and no "A" rides (that I ever saw). Not aware that they ever sponsored *local* events or bike advocacy either.
    Absence of participation definitely put Perf. outside the cycling cultures in the areas they served. They never carried Campy, for one thing, a big no no. They weren't at any cycling events, and their group rides seemed insincere. Bad PR conjured up the image of a company run by a greedy empire builder symbolized by his private Lear jet. His were the only shops where corporate culture interfered with good community relations. Way too much energy was spent on volume sales, beating out the LBS, and gosh! Look what happened!

Proud luddite
    I got the email announcing the closure of Tucson’s main store but not the smaller one on the east side for some reason. So I thought I would get a deal on tubes but they were a dollar less. WTF??? If you’re going out of business then give me a deal on tubes dammit! 😡

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I got the email announcing the closure of Tucson’s main store but not the smaller one on the east side for some reason. So I thought I would get a deal on tubes but they were a dollar less. WTF??? If you’re going out of business then give me a deal on tubes dammit! 😡
    did you buy them?
    Blows your hair back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast