Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I got the email announcing the closure of Tucson’s main store but not the smaller one on the east side for some reason. So I thought I would get a deal on tubes but they were a dollar less. WTF??? If you’re going out of business then give me a deal on tubes dammit! 😡
    Years ago, Airborne ('memba them? Ti bikes over the web but originally, no brick and mortar) which had their North American warehouse just down the road, used to have annual sales.

These were "reeeediculously" popular and said popularity eventually killed it (super pushback by local shops and vendors like Shimano that lost their leverage for pricing).

Most of the items (anything in their surplus inventory... remember, they provided for extensive customization of components) were new. From an overall POV, by buying a heavily discounted and waaaay too small DA equipped Ti bike with ZIPP 404 wheels, I was able (by parting out) build another DA equipped Ti bike with ZIPP 404 wheels for about $450-$600 USD if I remember correctly. And that was just from one sale.

I miss those days (I can't even tell you of some deals all these years later because I promised).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was just in Illinois. The Schaumburg store had a guy standing by the road in frigid weather with a store closing sign. I wasn't driving so I didn't have a chance to go in.

δanned
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

I miss those days (I can't even tell you of some deals all these years later because I promised).
    It's okay. We're your friends.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    All performance locations are officially being liquidated

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...s#.XAU-mxiIb3A
    I am very angry about this. If Performance goes out of business I swear I will never shop there again! I mean it

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    did you buy them?
    Nope! I’m only making the 30 minute drive if I can save at least 50%! 😛

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I got the email announcing the closure of Tucson’s main store but not the smaller one on the east side for some reason. So I thought I would get a deal on tubes but they were a dollar less. WTF??? If you’re going out of business then give me a deal on tubes dammit! 😡
    You're like a vulture circling around waiting for the lions to be bored with their kill to save a more than a buck on a tube.
    Nope! I’m only making the 30 minute drive if I can save at least 50%! 😛
    I imagine you'll buy multiple tubes to compensate for what I assume is an hour drive round trip. Somehow this parallels the demise of LBSs even though it's a little less personal with Performance. I bet you don't cut the LBSs any slack either and wonder why they can't keep Campaq gruppos in stock. And you're b!tching about not being able save an extra dollar when people are losing jobs?

I know you're a long time poster and I do like your contributions, but this does rub me wrong somewhat. And let's not start the conversation about the carbon footprint you're producing with the long drive you'd make to save a few bucks on those tubes

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    You're like a vulture circling around waiting for the lions to be bored with their kill to save a more than a buck on a tube.

I imagine you'll buy multiple tubes to compensate for what I assume is an hour drive round trip. Somehow this parallels the demise of LBSs even though it's a little less personal with Performance. I bet you don't cut the LBSs any slack either and wonder why they can't keep Campaq gruppos in stock. And you're b!tching about not being able save an extra dollar when people are losing jobs?

I know you're a long time poster and I do like your contributions, but this does rub me wrong somewhat. And let's not start the conversation about the carbon footprint you're producing with the long drive you'd make to save a few bucks on those tubes
    You're absolutely right. I was trying to be funny but lost track of the fact that Performance's demise is causing workers to lose their jobs. I appreciate you calling me out on this....I deserved it.

For the record, I hardly ever shop at Performance. Here in Tucson there are many LBS's...I'd say at least 20...and I do shop at a couple that are in my part of town so I don't have to drive far to buy what I need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The #1 or #2 Performance store is down the street from me. I've shopped there for years and know lots of the guys. I can't bring myself to go hunt for deals. It's making me feel like going to a buddy's house as the bank's kicking him... and looking for a deal on a TV or couch.

I really hate that guys on the clock are the ones who will feel the pain in this one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Our local Performance is on the block.... chop chop chop. Course, quite a few traditional shops in the area are doing their happy dance.

They shouldn't be doing a happy dance if I were you / them. They will be next unless they provide something other than overpriced merchandise that can be purchased online for much less (like service).

a real member's member
    Nope! I’m only making the 30 minute drive if I can save at least 50%! 
    you ever shop ebay? sometimes you can find a package deal. but i like name brand tubes, like sunlite, which my lbs carries. they have some sort of deal there too with multiple sunlite tube purchases (buy 3, get 1...).
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Now I know why shops go out of business . Just had a quote to run new cables and housing and they wanted $125.

I can do it myself but just have been a little busy lately .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by plag View Post
    Now I know why shops go out of business . Just had a quote to run new cables and housing and they wanted $125.

I can do it myself but just have been a little busy lately .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was an LBS in the Seattle area that made the news here when they charged $100 for a test ride. WTF???

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by plag View Post
    just had a quote to run new cables and housing and they wanted $125.
    yeah, that would cost under $50 (plus an hour of your time) if you did it yourself:

$1 cable end crimps from ebay (100 pack)
    $2 derailleur cable from ebay
    $4 derailleur housing and ferrules from your lbs
    $8 shimano brake cable kit from ebay
    $34 park tool cn-10 on ebay
    $49
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    yeah, that would cost under $50 (plus an hour of your time) if you did it yourself:

$1 cable end crimps from ebay (100 pack)
    $2 derailleur cable from ebay
    $4 derailleur housing and ferrules from your lbs
    $8 shimano brake cable kit from ebay
    $34 park tool cn-10 on ebay
    $49
    And don't forget you have to remove and reinstall (if in good enough condition) the bar tape. If you have to replace the bar tape it will cost even more.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    And don't forget you have to remove and reinstall (if in good enough condition) the bar tape. If you have to replace the bar tape it will cost even more.
    a good reason to ride vintage with non-aero levers.

or ... add fizik tape for $20, then sell the cable cutters on craigs for $25.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a good reason to ride vintage with non-aero levers.

or ... add fizik tape for $20, then sell the cable cutters on craigs for $25.
    Internal routing plus loctited press fit BB is going to add some labor time and salty cursing as well.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Internal routing plus loctited press fit BB is going to add some labor time and salty cursing as well.

You got that right. Internal routing is a PITA.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123