ASE AKA Performance Bike AKA Nashbar files for bankruptcy - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 74 of 74
  1. #51
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Akirasho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,345
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I got the email announcing the closure of Tucson’s main store but not the smaller one on the east side for some reason. So I thought I would get a deal on tubes but they were a dollar less. WTF??? If you’re going out of business then give me a deal on tubes dammit! 😡
    Years ago, Airborne ('memba them? Ti bikes over the web but originally, no brick and mortar) which had their North American warehouse just down the road, used to have annual sales.

    These were "reeeediculously" popular and said popularity eventually killed it (super pushback by local shops and vendors like Shimano that lost their leverage for pricing).

    Most of the items (anything in their surplus inventory... remember, they provided for extensive customization of components) were new. From an overall POV, by buying a heavily discounted and waaaay too small DA equipped Ti bike with ZIPP 404 wheels, I was able (by parting out) build another DA equipped Ti bike with ZIPP 404 wheels for about $450-$600 USD if I remember correctly. And that was just from one sale.

    I miss those days (I can't even tell you of some deals all these years later because I promised).

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mtrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,415
    I was just in Illinois. The Schaumburg store had a guy standing by the road in frigid weather with a store closing sign. I wasn't driving so I didn't have a chance to go in.

  3. #53
    δanned
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

    I miss those days (I can't even tell you of some deals all these years later because I promised).
    It's okay. We're your friends.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    All performance locations are officially being liquidated

    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...s#.XAU-mxiIb3A
    I am very angry about this. If Performance goes out of business I swear I will never shop there again! I mean it

  5. #55
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,911
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    did you buy them?
    Nope! I’m only making the 30 minute drive if I can save at least 50%! 😛

  6. #56
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I got the email announcing the closure of Tucson’s main store but not the smaller one on the east side for some reason. So I thought I would get a deal on tubes but they were a dollar less. WTF??? If you’re going out of business then give me a deal on tubes dammit! 😡
    You're like a vulture circling around waiting for the lions to be bored with their kill to save a more than a buck on a tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Nope! I’m only making the 30 minute drive if I can save at least 50%! 😛
    I imagine you'll buy multiple tubes to compensate for what I assume is an hour drive round trip. Somehow this parallels the demise of LBSs even though it's a little less personal with Performance. I bet you don't cut the LBSs any slack either and wonder why they can't keep Campaq gruppos in stock. And you're b!tching about not being able save an extra dollar when people are losing jobs?

    I know you're a long time poster and I do like your contributions, but this does rub me wrong somewhat. And let's not start the conversation about the carbon footprint you're producing with the long drive you'd make to save a few bucks on those tubes

  7. #57
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,911
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    You're like a vulture circling around waiting for the lions to be bored with their kill to save a more than a buck on a tube.

    I imagine you'll buy multiple tubes to compensate for what I assume is an hour drive round trip. Somehow this parallels the demise of LBSs even though it's a little less personal with Performance. I bet you don't cut the LBSs any slack either and wonder why they can't keep Campaq gruppos in stock. And you're b!tching about not being able save an extra dollar when people are losing jobs?

    I know you're a long time poster and I do like your contributions, but this does rub me wrong somewhat. And let's not start the conversation about the carbon footprint you're producing with the long drive you'd make to save a few bucks on those tubes
    You're absolutely right. I was trying to be funny but lost track of the fact that Performance's demise is causing workers to lose their jobs. I appreciate you calling me out on this....I deserved it.

    For the record, I hardly ever shop at Performance. Here in Tucson there are many LBS's...I'd say at least 20...and I do shop at a couple that are in my part of town so I don't have to drive far to buy what I need.

  8. #58
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,222
    The #1 or #2 Performance store is down the street from me. I've shopped there for years and know lots of the guys. I can't bring myself to go hunt for deals. It's making me feel like going to a buddy's house as the bank's kicking him... and looking for a deal on a TV or couch.

    I really hate that guys on the clock are the ones who will feel the pain in this one.

  9. #59
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Our local Performance is on the block.... chop chop chop. Course, quite a few traditional shops in the area are doing their happy dance.

    They shouldn't be doing a happy dance if I were you / them. They will be next unless they provide something other than overpriced merchandise that can be purchased online for much less (like service).

  10. #60
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Nope! I’m only making the 30 minute drive if I can save at least 50%! 
    you ever shop ebay? sometimes you can find a package deal. but i like name brand tubes, like sunlite, which my lbs carries. they have some sort of deal there too with multiple sunlite tube purchases (buy 3, get 1...).
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: plag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    298
    Now I know why shops go out of business . Just had a quote to run new cables and housing and they wanted $125.

    I can do it myself but just have been a little busy lately .



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #62
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,911
    Quote Originally Posted by plag View Post
    Now I know why shops go out of business . Just had a quote to run new cables and housing and they wanted $125.

    I can do it myself but just have been a little busy lately .



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was an LBS in the Seattle area that made the news here when they charged $100 for a test ride. WTF???

  13. #63
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by plag View Post
    just had a quote to run new cables and housing and they wanted $125.
    yeah, that would cost under $50 (plus an hour of your time) if you did it yourself:

    $1 cable end crimps from ebay (100 pack)
    $2 derailleur cable from ebay
    $4 derailleur housing and ferrules from your lbs
    $8 shimano brake cable kit from ebay
    $34 park tool cn-10 on ebay
    $49
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  14. #64
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    yeah, that would cost under $50 (plus an hour of your time) if you did it yourself:

    $1 cable end crimps from ebay (100 pack)
    $2 derailleur cable from ebay
    $4 derailleur housing and ferrules from your lbs
    $8 shimano brake cable kit from ebay
    $34 park tool cn-10 on ebay
    $49
    And don't forget you have to remove and reinstall (if in good enough condition) the bar tape. If you have to replace the bar tape it will cost even more.

  15. #65
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,830
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    And don't forget you have to remove and reinstall (if in good enough condition) the bar tape. If you have to replace the bar tape it will cost even more.
    a good reason to ride vintage with non-aero levers.

    or ... add fizik tape for $20, then sell the cable cutters on craigs for $25.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  16. #66
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    a good reason to ride vintage with non-aero levers.

    or ... add fizik tape for $20, then sell the cable cutters on craigs for $25.
    Internal routing plus loctited press fit BB is going to add some labor time and salty cursing as well.

  17. #67
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremerradkurier View Post
    Internal routing plus loctited press fit BB is going to add some labor time and salty cursing as well.

    You got that right. Internal routing is a PITA.
    You can't fix stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

    I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

  18. #68
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: burgrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,842
    All Performance stores to be closed by March 2. Hope they have some deals. I don't live close to one.

    https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/new...march-2_483352

  19. #69
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14,024
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    All Performance stores to be closed by March 2. Hope they have some deals. I don't live close to one.

    https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/new...march-2_483352
    Nope. I had some points to use up. Pretty much all components are gone. Any normal size clothing gone
    Only thing I could find worth using my points on was two tubes... full price.

  20. #70
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    All Performance stores to be closed by March 2. Hope they have some deals. I don't live close to one.

    https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/new...march-2_483352
    All of the stores in the Seattle metro area are already closed except the stores in Redmond and Tacoma. They have very little left. A few odd sizes of bikes. They did have some pretty good deals on wheels. I saw a pair of HED Jet 5 wheels on the wall for $750. I personally have no use for them, but I almost bought them just to re-sell, but decided against it.

    They had a few accessories left. 1 or two non smart trainers. They had some shoes and helmets, but they had been picked through pretty well.

    I was surprised they still had quite a bit of winter clothing left. It wasn't priced quite as aggressively as bikes and wheels were.

    The only thing I used to shop at Performance for was nutrition stuf (Clif Bloks mainly), and they were completely out of that stuff.

  21. #71
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,085
    It seems that in this day, "going out of business" sales rarely offer good deals; they exist mostly for people who are looking for either a memento, or for something that nobody else offers to stock-up on one last time. The REAL deals will come when somebody buys the remaining stock wholesale, and starts selling it on an online discount site.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  22. #72
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,703
    Every local closing Performance around here has had virtually 50% off everything. They were still getting new stock from warehouses clearing out up until at least last week... they would get cardboard boxes and not know what was inside, take the stuff out and sell at clearance. I got lucky and got Garmin Edge 520 Plus units for $139 a piece.

    They're getting down to bare bones for sure, but it's been a couple months now.

  23. #73
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Fredrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    26,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Big news in bicycle e-commerce today. ASE is filing for C11

    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ile-chapter-11
    Here's an e mail y'all probably also got, but just in case:

    To Our Valued Customers:

    You may have noticed some changes to the Performance Bike website recently. We want to let you know what's up, and keep you in the loop about what you can expect from Performance Bike in the future.

    We're excited to share with you that Performance Bike is joining the family of AMain Sports & Hobbies!

    Since 2004, AMain Sports & Hobbies has been dedicated to serving the cycling & hobbies community worldwide with excellent customer service and extensive product selection. Now, it's time to bring all the AMain benefits to Performance Bike customers like you.



    More information about AMain Sports & Hobbies can be found at https://www.amaincycling.com

    What You Can Expect:

    The Performance Bike website you know and rely on is here to stay along with some awesome new features:


    All your favorite products,
    plus expanded inventory.


    Fast, reliable, low-cost shipping.


    A dedicated customer service team of
    experienced cyclists.


    VIP Rewards points and perks.

    Privacy Information:

    As part of AMain Sports & Hobbies’ purchase of Performance Bike, Amain Sports & Hobbies will receive Performance Bike’s customer information. We take your privacy seriously. We will honor the privacy promises made in Performance Bike’s privacy policy, and will provide you notice and obtain your consent if we were to treat your data in a materially different way. You may review our privacy policy at performancebike.com/privacy-policy/i2.

    If you do not want AMain Sports & Hobbies to retain your personal information, you can opt out by sending us an e-mail, calling us, or sending us a letter at the contact information listed below. Please provide us with your name, email address, street address and telephone number so that we can identify your account. Your request to opt out must be received no later than March 1, 2019. Please note that opting out will remove your proof of purchase data required for warranty service. transfer by any of the following methods: Clicking the link at the bottom of this email message; Sending an e-mail to AMain Sports & Hobbies web master at privacy@amain.com with the information necessary for Performance Bike to identify you in its database and process your opt-out election (such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number);

    Mailing to the following address:
    Performance Bike
    424 Otterson Dr
    Chico, CA 95928

    Please include in your letter the information necessary for AMain Sports & Hobbies to identify you in its database and process your opt-out election (such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number). Please note that opting out will remove your proof of purchase data required for warranty service.

    If you opted in to receive promotional emails from Performance Bike, you may also receive promotional emails from AMain Sports & Hobbies unless you opt out of having your information conveyed to AMain Sports & Hobbies.

    Your request to opt out must be received no later than March 1, 2019.

    After the opt-out deadline, AMain Sports & Hobbies will create an account for Performance Bike customers who have not opted out and automatically enroll them as Platinum level VIP members so they can enjoy the highest benefits and value for the remainder of 2019.

    If we create an account for you, you may receive promotional emails from AMain Sports & Hobbies. If you would prefer to not receive these emails from us, you can opt out by clicking here or by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any promotional email.

    We thank you for your past patronage and hope you will always continue to enjoy cycling.

    Sincerely,
    Performance Bike

  24. #74
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Here's an e mail y'all probably also got, but just in case:

    To Our Valued Customers:

    You may have noticed some changes to the Performance Bike website recently. We want to let you know what's up, and keep you in the loop about what you can expect from Performance Bike in the future.

    We're excited to share with you that Performance Bike is joining the family of AMain Sports & Hobbies!

    Since 2004, AMain Sports & Hobbies has been dedicated to serving the cycling & hobbies community worldwide with excellent customer service and extensive product selection. Now, it's time to bring all the AMain benefits to Performance Bike customers like you.



    More information about AMain Sports & Hobbies can be found at https://www.amaincycling.com

    What You Can Expect:

    The Performance Bike website you know and rely on is here to stay along with some awesome new features:


    All your favorite products,
    plus expanded inventory.


    Fast, reliable, low-cost shipping.


    A dedicated customer service team of
    experienced cyclists.


    VIP Rewards points and perks.

    Privacy Information:

    As part of AMain Sports & Hobbies’ purchase of Performance Bike, Amain Sports & Hobbies will receive Performance Bike’s customer information. We take your privacy seriously. We will honor the privacy promises made in Performance Bike’s privacy policy, and will provide you notice and obtain your consent if we were to treat your data in a materially different way. You may review our privacy policy at performancebike.com/privacy-policy/i2.

    If you do not want AMain Sports & Hobbies to retain your personal information, you can opt out by sending us an e-mail, calling us, or sending us a letter at the contact information listed below. Please provide us with your name, email address, street address and telephone number so that we can identify your account. Your request to opt out must be received no later than March 1, 2019. Please note that opting out will remove your proof of purchase data required for warranty service. transfer by any of the following methods: Clicking the link at the bottom of this email message; Sending an e-mail to AMain Sports & Hobbies web master at privacy@amain.com with the information necessary for Performance Bike to identify you in its database and process your opt-out election (such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number);

    Mailing to the following address:
    Performance Bike
    424 Otterson Dr
    Chico, CA 95928

    Please include in your letter the information necessary for AMain Sports & Hobbies to identify you in its database and process your opt-out election (such as your name, email address, street address and telephone number). Please note that opting out will remove your proof of purchase data required for warranty service.

    If you opted in to receive promotional emails from Performance Bike, you may also receive promotional emails from AMain Sports & Hobbies unless you opt out of having your information conveyed to AMain Sports & Hobbies.

    Your request to opt out must be received no later than March 1, 2019.

    After the opt-out deadline, AMain Sports & Hobbies will create an account for Performance Bike customers who have not opted out and automatically enroll them as Platinum level VIP members so they can enjoy the highest benefits and value for the remainder of 2019.

    If we create an account for you, you may receive promotional emails from AMain Sports & Hobbies. If you would prefer to not receive these emails from us, you can opt out by clicking here or by clicking on the unsubscribe link in any promotional email.

    We thank you for your past patronage and hope you will always continue to enjoy cycling.

    Sincerely,
    Performance Bike
    Same one was sent out about Nashbar.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Sears Files for Bankruptcy
    By SystemShock in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 01:34 AM
  2. Niner Files for Bankruptcy Protection in Colorado
    By Migen21 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-15-2016, 09:47 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 06:33 AM
  5. in the news huffy bankruptcy
    By PJay in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 10:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.