Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Adorable Furry Hombre

ASE AKA Performance Bike AKA Nashbar files for bankruptcy

Big news in bicycle e-commerce today. ASE is filing for C11

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ile-chapter-11
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I hope Fuji survives, as they have been very good at resolving issues I've had with my Transonic, although I am not a fan of their Oval Concepts components. And while I have used Performance and Nashbar, there are plenty more online retailers to choose from.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    In an interesting twist, this link was included in the referenced article, which mentions that Madeleine Dean, the wife of ASE's CEO Pat Cunnane, was just elected to Congress. So after running the company into the ground, they are headed off to D.C. to see what other damage they can do.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...a#.W-73CehKiUl

The article also mentions that Olympic gold medalist Marty Nothstein lost his bid for congress.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Who knows, maybe they can be effective at bicycle advocacy. This is a very challenging time for retailers/etailers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This is a very challenging time for retailers/etailers.
    Not to mention LBS's

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Not to mention LBS's
    Electric bikes will be their salvation. Everyone needs an electric motor on their bike. Everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Big news in bicycle e-commerce today. ASE is filing for C11

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...ile-chapter-11
    Very surprising. I always thought they had a good business model being onlune , brick and mortar, and an OEM

your god hates me
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Everyone needs an electric motor on their bike. Everyone.
    ...eventually.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Very surprising. I always thought they had a good business model being onlune , brick and mortar, and an OEM
    Too much debt will kill a good business model. As will mismanagement (for example, pushing growth too fast which often racks up the debt).
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Proud luddite
    Wow, how the mighty have fallen!

I was actually one of Performance's very first customers. I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC and visited their first store which opened in neighboring Carrboro in the early 80's. I was a teen and thought it was going to be an LBS, so I went there only to find a bunch of guys sitting at desks taking phone orders. I thought to myself there is no way this company is going to succeed....and then along came the internet and Performance became a bicycling industry super power. Looks like my prediction might prove to be correct, albeit 35 years after the fact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Too much debt will kill a good business model. As will mismanagement (for example, pushing growth too fast which often racks up the debt).
    Yep, exactly my though when I read this
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I quit buying stuff from Performance maybe 10-15 years ago. I was in one last year with a friend and was surprised to see all the really low end bikes they were selling. For the most part, their clothes weren't very nice -- the higher end bib shorts were OK. The mechanics were kids and the sales people knew very little about bicycles. At least the ones I had spoken to. Call the HQ and I'd usually get a woman with a southern drawl who thinks a fork is something you eat your dinner with. The whole operation is very corporate.

Slowski
    I don't have anything particularly bad to say about any experience I've ever had with Performance Bike, but they really haven't been competitive with other online retailers with selection, price, or shipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a Performance discount mailer two days ago... who knew that snail mail was faster than the internet!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    oh noes...without PB and Nashbar, where will peeps get those boring, mono-chromatic, non-logo, club-cut jerseys...?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    oh noes...without PB and Nashbar, where will peeps get those boring, mono-chromatic, non-logo, club-cut jerseys...?
    LLBean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had been looking for an inexpensive "endurance" bike with disc brakes for about a year and tried out a few locally. Fuji had recently brought out their Grand Fondo disk and was intrigued. Called Performance Bike in Allentown Pa, the nearest store to Maine and asked them if I could take a test ride, since I had a trip planned to Virginia in a couple of weeks. They ordered the bike in the size needed and let me ride it with no strings attached. The guys at the Performance shop were great, plus they actually had the bike ready when I got there. I had sent measurements for initial bike set up and after minor tweaks I was off riding locked into my Look Keos within minutes of arrival. Found the Fuji super smooth and relaxed. 15 or so miles later, I got back to the store and bought the bike. The Grand Fondo disc is a great bike for easy relaxed rides with the family or friends and is awesome for long days in the saddle. Performance Bike staff made it easy. It turned out the be a very good experience. Would be sad if bike shops like these went away.
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Got a Performance discount mailer two days ago... who knew that snail mail was faster than the internet!!
    It's not faster than the internet, but lots and lots of people see those all at the same time. If you want something from a mailer from any company, buy it RIGHT away. They seem to clear out pretty quick once the paper hits the homes.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

What the what???
    I haven't ordered from either Performance or Nashbar in quite a while. Most of what I buy online is via Amazon anymore. I did like Nashbar's mesh gloves and their clothing and tires were relatively inexpensive.

I hoped we would get a brick&mortar Performance Bike near where I live but it looks like it's not to be.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I got a promo email this morning advertising 30% off site wide at Nashbar...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Interesting... and I don't quite understand why. Bike manufacturers are pushing the $15k envelope for a single bicycle and Performance can't stay afloat? Is it a matter of people just aren't buying bikes from their local bike shops or poor management or both or neither?

I'll admit, however, that I haven't ordered from Nashbar or Performance for quite a long time. When I do, I usually wait for a huge sale and try to nab a decent set of wheels for a good price.

Back in the 80's, I considered selling a kidney to get a Kestrel 4000... now they're in jeopardy of extinction. Oh well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    There are 2 Performance shops near me, one is closing out, the other is staying open

RoadBikeReview Member
    I literally, love, cycling. I will never quit until I'm no longer physically able to do it. That said it always distresses me how overpriced the mainstream general world of serious recreational road biking is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, clearly over-extended to 109 shops and it goes the way of K-Mart or Sears. Eight years ago, the founder was flying around the country in his Lear jet. The guy got overly ambitious. He's gotta close 40 out of 109 stores. Whew. Great time to pick up some great 30% discounts.

They had a big account with Giant in the '00s, but were greedily underselling the other shops and Giant pulled out. That was probably when things started turning around. The most customers would spend was $2000. The top end Dura Ace equipped bikes sat for years, and eventually sold at a loss. Their brand was plain Jane, so they ran lines of Pearl Izumi and some Primal Wear jerseys.

They'll probably survive, but man, lots of mechs and sales people won't be coming back in the Spring. That may be a necessary cleaning of house, though. They've always hurt for competent employees, IME, another reason they went down.

Their corporate culture didn't blend well with the local bike shop mentality, despite their pretensions. Their shops didn't become focal points for the local bike community. They just didn't have the stuff experienced, dedicated riders really lusted after. They always fell slightly short, like with Scattante road bikes for example.

Fuji bikes will survive. Other bike shops will sell them. Same with Breezer.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:13 PM.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I think that Performance/Nashbar worked better as an online-only retailer. Chain bike stores have a lot of overhead, and rarely give the personalized service that a small LBS can.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast