Assos Chamois Cream--Snake Oil????
    Eddy 53:11

Assos Chamois Cream--Snake Oil????

Anyone used/using Assos Chamois Cream or for that matter ANY chamois cream?

I'm not really interested in it as a 'lube" so to speak, but as to increase the life of my
    Assos shorts.

Thoughts, comments, other suggestions???

Thanks!
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Diesel Engine

It works

I use it (among other products like chamois buttr and good 'ol A&D ointment) and it works fine. It is supposed to be antibacterial as well. One word of warning - the Assos product has some form of menthol-like ingredient in it that causes a very unique tingle when you apply it. Not a big issue, but my first application gave me a surprise for about 5 minutes.

Having said that, when my current jar of Assos cream runs out, I probably won't but another. Chamois Buttr works as well as a lubricant and tends to be a bit cheaper (and most LBS's have it).

Their claim that their cream extends the life of their chamois is just playing on your consumerism. Any cream will do that as long as it reduces friction - the pad is synthetic, so the cream washes out in the laundry anyway. Assos may claim that their product has some magical ingredient that helps their pad, but that's not the case in reality. I know they claim that you should apply cream to the pad after the laundry, but I never did any of that and my chamois outlasted the fabric on my Assos shorts.

flinty-eyed moderator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Prince
    I use it (among other products like chamois buttr and good 'ol A&D ointment) and it works fine. It is supposed to be antibacterial as well. One word of warning - the Assos product has some form of menthol-like ingredient in it that causes a very unique tingle when you apply it. Not a big issue, but my first application gave me a surprise for about 5 minutes.

Having said that, when my current jar of Assos cream runs out, I probably won't but another. Chamois Buttr works as well as a lubricant and tends to be a bit cheaper (and most LBS's have it).

Their claim that their cream extends the life of their chamois is just playing on your consumerism. Any cream will do that as long as it reduces friction - the pad is synthetic, so the cream washes out in the laundry anyway. Assos may claim that their product has some magical ingredient that helps their pad, but that's not the case in reality. I know they claim that you should apply cream to the pad after the laundry, but I never did any of that and my chamois outlasted the fabric on my Assos shorts.
    I like it, and a tub lasts a real long time. Other varieties may work just as well though. But I like the tingle!

;)

I don't fear carbs
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed
    Anyone used/using Assos Chamois Cream or for that matter ANY chamois cream?

I'm not really interested in it as a 'lube" so to speak, but as to increase the life of my
    Assos shorts.

Thoughts, comments, other suggestions???

Thanks!
    I use it with my Assos shorts because they are just too darn expensive to risk it with any non-approved lube. Works well. Feels a bit like Noxema--really cooling. For my other shorts I usually just use Dr. Naylors udder butter. Both seem to work equally as well for preventing saddle sores and the like. If you have the new F1-13s I don't think the need for chamois creme is as much as the old chamois that would dry out without it.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002

Talking I use

both the Assos and the Nalini Relief Cream...they both seem to help prevent saddle sores, which is really why I use it. Not sure about extending chamois life, but the synthetic chamois seem to last just fine. The first time I used the Assos I couldn't help but be reminded of the ole Ben-Gay in the jock gag...little bit of a tingle :-)