To Assos or not to Assos...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

To Assos or not to Assos...

So, I'm starting to ride again and looking for some new cycling kits. I'm still adverse to Team Kits (just not my style) and I am considering some "plain" Assos, Castelli or De Marchi bibshorts/jerseys.

I'm leaning towards the Assos (the price difference between the three is not that much), yet I don't want to be *that* guy... you know the one, the one wearing Assos yet being overtaken by eager kids on BMX!

Any suggestions to help me with my quagmire?

Baltic Scum
    So, the choices are: Ride fast, ride solo or ride in Nashbar bibs?

Damn, looks like I am 'that guy'.
    Last edited by seeborough; 08-18-2009 at 02:33 AM.
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

banned
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwannapodiumgirl
    So, I'm starting to ride again and looking for some new cycling kits. I'm still adverse to Team Kits (just not my style) and I am considering some "plain" Assos, Castelli or De Marchi bibshorts/jerseys.

I'm leaning towards the Assos (the price difference between the three is not that much), yet I don't want to be *that* guy... you know the one, the one wearing Assos yet being overtaken by eager kids on BMX!

Any suggestions to help me with my quagmire?

Get a pair of Desoto 400 mile bib shorts. You'll spend less than assos and they are better. I've used/am using all the brands you mention-- I got my first pair of desoto bibs, did an 82 mile and then 108 mile ride in them (with a day in between- yes I washed them)and then I ordered another 2 pairs.

your god hates me
    I don't want to be *that* guy... you know the one, the one wearing Assos yet being overtaken by eager kids on BMX!
    Get the Assos SS13 jersey to go along with the bibs...that's the jersey with the special integral support so that the pockets don't sag when they're loaded up with a lot of stuff.

Then load your pockets with bricks.

When the eager kids on the BMX bikes pass you, hit them with a brick!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Wear whatever you want and be comfortable in it! Stop worrying about what others think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Etxe Ondo bibs are worth a look too. They fit me better than anything else I've tried.
    I'm hoping to try some Assos soon.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I've been riding for 5 decades and have tried many brands. My absolute favorite shorts are Performance Elite bibs. They're very reasonably priced, last for years, and are very comfy. My favorite jerseys are from Castelli. They make great stuff.

My least favorite cycle clothing maker is Pearl Izumi. They don't fit me right, they're overpriced for what they are, and if I get an entire season out of them it's a miracle.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

banned
    Nov 2001
    Everyone is going to have their own opinions and what they prefer. Unfortunately, it'll be what you like and screw the court of public opinion. Even assos has its critics- and I'm not talking about those who think spending that much on a pair of bibs is a waste-- there are people who tried them and didn't like them (usually it's the fit or the chamois "diaper effect")
    I've seen people who swear by voler and performance stuff, which I can't use, but I'm sure others have no problem w/ it.
    The only way to find out what works for you is to try the stuff out, much like finding a saddle that works.

good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sup U wishuhadapodiumbabes

Here's my take on stuff including buying clothes. You get what you pay for. I dont wear nothing but Assos and I dont care if I bomb from time to time at least I look good doing it and very comfortable.lol

On the sereous note U name it I have tried it and the F.1.3 Assos bib to me is the best and the Mille s 5. let me tell you guys how badd ass these bibs are. heres my saddle If I had a cheap pair of bibs I dont think I will last as long as I have but now that my Sitbones are as hard as cement it does nto matter. I have 2000 miles logged in this year already and my Assos still look new and no sign of wear. Off course they are handwashed and air dry only, no washing machine here guys.

Its How I roll

MidwestPlaya

Ride Em Hard
    Last edited by Midwest Playa; 03-15-2012 at 11:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Excuse the Mess I am in the middle of swapping parts This frame is about to go to my 16 year old . When I was sixteen Carbon frame bikes did not exist.

Anyways thats the Selle Smp Composite Strike 0 padding just the napa leather and the shell. guess where my padding is coming from ???? ASSOS

My Two Cents

Its how I Roll

MidwestPlaya

Ride Em hard!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Out of curiousity I was looking at how much the Assos stuff goes for. $320 for a jersey? I'm sure it's nice, but damn...2 of those & you could buy some nice wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farva
    Out of curiousity I was looking at how much the Assos stuff goes for. $320 for a jersey? I'm sure it's nice, but damn...2 of those & you could buy some nice wheels.

Sup Farva

One thing about me I never pay regular price for my stuff even if its new. There always a deal out there just have to look for it. I paid $175.00 Brand New for my F1.3. I have a very good Friend who owns a cycling shop in Florida and she gives me the deals only because I am a regular customer. She just sold me a set of reynolds Assaults for $1100. I am waiting on them. Colorado cyclist had them on sale and she match the price for me.

Do you see the price tag on the F1.3??? if you cant see it its $279.99 not including tax. I told you how much I got it for right? .lol

She said she has a deal on the Sleeveless Uno for $95.00 shipped.

For the record I am not affiliated with her.lol Strictly Plutonic.lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heres what the Uno looks like gentlemen in a sleeveles version

http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Asso...eveless-Jersey

Beatchin' Technology

Played

podiumwanner,

Have two of the FI13's and I like them but for long rides prefer the Giordana Body Clone Forma bibs, which have a thicker chamois. Like Voler better than Pearl Izumi. Badly made bibs start to chafe after 15 miles and that is with a butt that has 4k outdoors and over 10 hours on the trainer in so far in 2009.

And you won't be 'that guy' if you keep improving or just drop them all the time...

Best of luck.
    U gne n'e' par niseun'

CAAD 10 Black, Di2 Ultegra 10 speed, Ksyrium ES, two tail lights

Colnago Superissimo steel 1992, 9 speed Chorus, Ksyrium Equipe, dented top tube

Colnago C-50, 10 speed carbon Record compact, Reynolds MVC 32's, Salsa skewers, Acros headset, Dura Ace pedals, Conti 4000's, Barmac integrated bars, white, red, and green tape, LED on NiMh AAAs, Dorkly left barend convex mirror

RoadBikeReview Member
    You know what bibs I have been wanting to try is the Peal Izumi Octane that Red is Awesome looking . Can someone give me their 2 cents if they own a set? I also want to try the Giordana Body Clone I hear dnothing but good things about those bibs thanks Glock.

http://www.cogsnob.com/2009/07/revie...bib-short.html

Its how I Roll

MidwestPlaya

Dam Marketting Folks I hate them.lol

The Devil made me do it I meant to post the ones for the men and I ran into the womens.lol

banned
    Nov 2001
    ok, this thread has gone to the stupid zone.

on the intelligent part that was posted-- the giordana forma body clone bibs are right there w/ assos. I'd put them on par, and the fabric is more comfy than assos. At first I didnt think much of them, when you ride them for awhile you do forget they're there.

I'd still put the desoto bibs above all else.

hey playa, let me get stupid here-- I ride an all carbon saddle, no leather AT ALL between my shorts and my saddle. You shouldnt need padding if the fit of the saddle is perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313
    ok, this thread has gone to the stupid zone.

on the intelligent part that was posted-- the giordana forma body clone bibs are right there w/ assos. I'd put them on par, and the fabric is more comfy than assos. At first I didnt think much of them, when you ride them for awhile you do forget they're there.

I'd still put the desoto bibs above all else.

hey playa, let me get stupid here-- I ride an all carbon saddle, no leather AT ALL between my shorts and my saddle. You shouldnt need padding if the fit of the saddle is perfect.

Thanks for the input Mdeath, I am new to this Cycling Stuff myself and All I know is my saddle must be a perfect fit cuz with the Assos bib, I have yet to have any discomfort at all other than when I first got it. The first 100 miles I noticed that my sit bones existed cause they were a little sore, which eventually went away. I will have to look into Desoto bibs, based on your input. One last note, what I really like about the Assos is that the bib padding does not look like you have an Adult diaper back there.lol I see folks riding around with pearl izumis and they look like they are wearing a in case I crap on myself diaper.lol

http://www.assos.com/

Its How I roll

MidwestPlaya

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I've recently added Giordana Laser bibs to my stable and they're the best I've tried thus far, especially for longer rides. Deals are always out there... I paid $139 and they list for $199

Good luck with your search.

Road & Trail Warrior
    You NEED a full Astana kit.

Honey Smack!
    I love Argyle, so I'm getting a full Garmin kit, for my very first ride ever, that's ok right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Since I ride a lot, and shorts/bib shorts have a limited lifetime (even Assos) - I rotate my bibs and jerseys (been cycling for over 20 years). I like Santini, some Nalinis, some Louis Garneaus, Sportful, but the best bang for my buck has to be Pearl Izumi. I like the Ultrasensor bib, which on sale I can get for under $100.

For jerseys, I really like a full zip, which is standard for most pro kit jerseys. I have an Exte-Ondo Euskaltel jersey that has undergone through a major crash about 5 years ago, and came out a little worse for the wear. I have found that European-made jerseys are better-made for any kind of weather, their fabrics are top-notch, and the stitching on the main jersey is durable. However, the stitching on the rear three pockets is decent, but not that durable. Jerseys such as Santini, Nalini, Adidas, Briko, Exte-Ondo, etc. can be had at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by dhtucker4; 08-19-2009 at 09:19 AM.

banned
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by PinarelloRider
    I've recently added Giordana Laser bibs to my stable and they're the best I've tried thus far, especially for longer rides. Deals are always out there... I paid $139 and they list for $199

Good luck with your search.

I used the lasers. I liked them a lot- not sure how long you've had them, but after 3 or 4 months, the stitching going across the crotch started coming undone. hopefully you dont end up w/ the same result!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    i have two of the Assos Unos and love them. I also have a higher end Pearl Izumi and only use them for shorter rides. I will never buy anything but Assos again. They just feel great on me. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Thanks for the support...

and colourful comments (yes, there is a "u" in colourful!)

It is with these in my mind that I'll be heading into the Assos Concept Store to try on some gear. If I like the feel, and they fit me right, I'll be *that* guy!

As for Astana kits or Pearl Izumi... I can't wear either on a Campagnolo equipped bike... the Trek and Shimano connections would make it simply unbearable ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    and colourful comments (yes, there is a "u" in colourful!)

It is with these in my mind that I'll be heading into the Assos Concept Store to try on some gear. If I like the feel, and they fit me right, I'll be *that* guy!

As for Astana kits or Pearl Izumi... I can't wear either on a Campagnolo equipped bike... the Trek and Shimano connections would make it simply unbearable ;-)

HAAHHAHAAHAAH

Well you know UwishUhadaPodiumBabe, in the end, with all the feedbacks you recieved, it has to be good and fun, This is actually one reason I am a Forum junky, I hate talking to my Local Bike Shop sales rep whos boring and plus hes ready to sell you a bike even if you are enquiring about something else.lol You get straight facts from folks whos used the products on this Forum and I love that.

If you are trully interested in some Assos gear for a decent price let me know how much it is over there and I can check to see what my friend has in her inventory and see if we can do you better. she accepts Paypal so no worries you will be protected. I was also checking out the De Sotto bibs not bad either for the price.

Again lots of input regarding this topic, Now heres's another topic I want to touch up on. which do you like Bibs or Shorts????? To me Hands down Bibs, They stay in place , do not fold on your belly when you are in the hammer position, and overall just a better cycling gear compare to shorts.

Can I get an Amen on this?????

Its How I roll

Midwest Playa
    Last edited by Midwest Playa; 08-20-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast