Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    I believe Assos' top end bibs have what amounts to a built in jock strap called the "kuku penthouse" which may be the greatest marketing name of all time.
    Their goal from their video is "less genital pressure"
    "kuKuPenthouse - ASSOS patent pending
    Another ASSOS invention: The front part of the insert features around-shaped pattern insert made of skin contact textile, no foam. Not only does it create a "nest" into which the male's genitals are properly "stored", but also keeps them "cooler". It's the evolution of "kuKuDeluxe". You only got 3, protect them!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtorres253 View Post
    I know that the shorts provide support, but I feel more comfortable and everything looks "neater" down there with an athletic support keeping it all together.
    Oh for cryin' out loud. God effin' almighty, I've seen a lot in that department from cyclists, but this one is taking OCD to new heights. Who the hell cares how "neat" your genitals look? And, if you're really unable to live with the kind of genitals you were born with, surgery would be an answer. On the other hand, somehow all the rest of us males can cope quite well, thank you. Millions and millions of us, in fact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    LOL, if you engage proper tailor for clothing they will ask you "Left or Right" while they are measuring you for trousers. This becomes somewhat confusing to those new to the experience, not sure what my tailor would say if he was told "I feel more comfortable and everything looks "neater" down there with an athletic support keeping it all together".

Re-Cyclist
    I wear cycling shorts fairly snug and in no way are they 'supportive' but rather create a pocket of space for your junk to move around in and pinch sensitive skins. I wear super lightweight briefs,, and they really hold everything in place and wick moisture away. No, that is NOT me wearing them. They are Jockeys.

Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

have droids, will party
    I think some people are doing it wrong...

1. Don't be concerned about looks. No one is meat gazing.

And, because they're designed this way,

2. You shouldn't wear ANYTHING under your bibs. If you have room to move in them, they're too big.

It's that easy. If you're having pain for some other reason besides a displaced satchel, then disregard this.

Re-Cyclist
    I guess there are strong opinions here. I wear those briefs and they are very comfortable, as if in 'can't tell they're there'.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    i have been wearing athletic supporters under cycling shorts since i got serious about cycling as a teen (many many years ago). i have tried going without a supporter many times with various brands of cycling shorts, and the ones i buy are good ones from good bike shops and fit well. and they are comfortable in terms of padding in the seat. i have never had a problem with chafing.

i can never get comfortable in my genital area without a supporter, though some shorts are better than others in this regard, none can equal the total comfort i get with an athletic supporter. i have never had a chafing problem from the supporter.

the supporter also allows me to just concentrate on my ride and never have to worry about adjusting or hurting/discomfort in my testicles.

i wear high quality cycling gear including cycling shorts, and i have a perfectly fitting custom bike (Gunnar) that is super comfortable.

as for the "underwear" issue, i would not really consider an athletic supporter to be "underwear", it is an athletic supporter, or jockstrap, made specifically for supporting the male genitals. a piece of athletic equipment. and a piece of equipment that was originally designed for cyclists.

so no, i would not recommend wearing "underwear" under cycling shorts.

i also now and then wear a suspensory, an item that holds just the scrotum up and that works very well too, though it holds just the scrotum/testicles, so i prefer the athletic supporter.

as for someone seeing the outline of the leg straps under my bike shorts, well, i do not think it is that noticeable, and even if it is i really do not care, what is practical and comfortable is more important.

everyone is different, with many different preferences. i happen to like endure or pi shorts, and wear a gym or champion brand supporter. i buy the best shorts my bike shop carries, and they are good ones. i gently hand wash my bike cloths and line dry em after every ride so they last and are comfortable. i use just a tiny amount of unscented detergent.

take care and ride safe, everyone, and let me know if you have any questions!
    thanks!
    tyler

'brifter' is a lame word.
    This absolutely has to be a troll...has to be.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    This has to be a troll question. Or a moron.

Huge in Japan
    Are you guys saying that this might be the wrong time for me to drone on in a lengthy post about my affinity for riding with a codpiece?

I had a long reply already typed out and everything.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    This absolutely has to be a troll...has to be.
    Has to be. But a funny troll.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12