Bag ruined my shorts. New Bag? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    That's why I split it up- some in jersey pockets, some in a reasonably sized bag.
    That sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You guys cram all your stuff in your jersey's and you think it looks cool?
    It just makes wet spots on your back from the sweat that has nowhere to go.
    So you ride the whole ride with a sweaty back to be cool?
    Some of your stuff is in plastic bags? Even more sweat with nowhere to go.
    And when you stand to go up hills all this weight swings left and right. That is so cool.
    The anti saddle bag crowd.
    You must be the younger generation, all about looks, and you know what? Nobody gives a crap except you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    My Lezyne Micro Caddy. Best saddle bag ever. Snug, no dangling fit and completely under saddle. Cannot touch your shorts. Holds levers, tube, patch kit, multi tool [with chain tool], money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I use a Spec small seatbag. The phone and key go in the jersey pocket.
    2tubes, 1 CO2 plus inflater, silca mini, 1 plastic lever, plus $, temp patches, boot material, expired driver's license in seatbag. I would forget something if it wasn't attached to the bike. Yes I have forgotten keys and phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
    My Lezyne Micro Caddy. Best saddle bag ever. Snug, no dangling fit and completely under saddle. Cannot touch your shorts. Holds levers, tube, patch kit, multi tool [with chain tool], money.

+1. Great bag. I fit all that stuff plus a CO2 canister and mini head. The only criticism is that, with its wide straps, it can be difficult to attach to some saddles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    I've got the dual - very nice.
    I use the Arundel TUbi. Admittedly I use tubbies, but it's a great design. Nearly impossible your legs will ever touch it, and quite roomy too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Here is my Serfas saddle bag, very minimalist hides under the saddle with no problem and carries a tube 2 CO2
    Attached Images Attached Images

What the what???
    Don't let 'em give you grief about the bag, OP. As a fellow pack-rat mine is about that size also. cxwrench had it right. Flip the bag right-side up and trim the straps if necessary. You could also swap out the velcro with some longer or shorter velcro strips to make sure there are no edges to rub against clothing.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is ok to use a saddle bag if it is cool looking. This one is cool:

http://www.probikekit.com/us/accesso...re-levers.html

Also, it is ok to split items up, some in bag, some in jersey pockets. Anti-pocket people seem to miss the fact that the pockets are there for a reason and that pros riding up to 200 miles per day in races don't seem to have any issues with sweat and the like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I had a new seat wear a hole in several pairs of my shorts. Returned the seat for a new one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    That's a very wide bag, and I thought mine, a Topeak MondoPack. was big. The Topeak IS big, but not as wide as yours.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't let 'em give you grief about the bag, OP. As a fellow pack-rat mine is about that size also. cxwrench had it right. Flip the bag right-side up and trim the straps if necessary. You could also swap out the velcro with some longer or shorter velcro strips to make sure there are no edges to rub against clothing.
    Don't worry, I don't give a flying F what people think. (No grief taken, and I'm not at all offended. No need to tell me to HTFU ;) ) I just do what's right for me. I'm not out to impress anyone (at least not for now....but wait till I get my new "$12K" bike!! jk)

Yes, I did flip it over and cut the strap a little on the one side. Went for a ride and had no issues at all. I like all the small bags everyone has posted on this thread. But I think I'll keep my big bag...where else am I going to fit my balls of steel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    In any case it is good that you use a saddle bag, instead of trying to stuff the items in your jersey pockets.
    why is it 'good'...?

is it more morally ethical? more environmentally sound? less evil...?

please, we await your next pontification.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    You guys cram all your stuff in your jersey's and you think it looks cool?
    It just makes wet spots on your back from the sweat that has nowhere to go.
    So you ride the whole ride with a sweaty back to be cool?
    Some of your stuff is in plastic bags? Even more sweat with nowhere to go.
    And when you stand to go up hills all this weight swings left and right. That is so cool.
    The anti saddle bag crowd.
    You must be the younger generation, all about looks, and you know what? Nobody gives a crap except you.
    If your jersey is so loose that stuff in the pockets is swinging back and forth, you're buying the wrong size jersey.

If you're so sweaty that you have puddles and pools all over your body, it doesn't matter what's in your pockets, nobody will want to be close enough to notice.

Saddle bags suck for reasons beyond the "ruining shorts" part. That's why I choose to use my pockets for what they were intended and preach the same to everyone out there.

Who wants velcro ruining their shorts?
    Who wants to have to swap bags from bike to bike every time you ride a different bike?
    Who wants to have all that crap rattling around in the bag when you hit a bump?
    Who wants to have it all spill out on the road when you unzip the bag?
    Who wants to have to try to fish through something awkwardly attached under a saddle to get a small part out?
    Who wants to have to stop, dismount and fish their phone out to check a map or otherwise use it?

If you like that, be my guest, use your saddle bag. I ditched mine years ago and haven't missed it once.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I'd kill the mini pump. It can't inflate to what you need anyway, so stick with the CO2 As well, when you're sure of your build, nuke the toolkit and tire lever(s). Tires are easy to pull on and off when they're flat.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Depends on the tire and rim.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just saw a new product called the SmrT Hydration Cargo bottle that allows you to carry stuff (tubes, etc.) in a bike bottle and still carry water. Looks like a good solution that could eliminate the saddle bag and the run on bib shorts (which has happened to me). Their site is at this here: https://smrthydration.com/

a real member's member
    good lord.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    good lord.
    Seriously...he resurrects a 7 yr old thread to let us know about that silly bottle? I wonder what he was looking for when he came across that?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Hey, I'm glad this thread was dredged up.

It reminded me that back in 2012, one of my olde tyme riding buddies mentioned that he had had a similar problem during one of his riding seasons several years before.

Left a hole in his bike shorts just below his right buttock. If I remember correctly.

Good times.

Cx, must you always be such a nattering nabob of negativity? .

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Hey, I'm glad this thread was dredged up.

It reminded me that back in 2012, one of my olde tyme riding buddies mentioned that he had had a similar problem during one of his riding seasons several years before.

Left a hole in his bike shorts just below his right buttock. If I remember correctly.

Good times.

Cx, must you always be such a nattering nabob of negativity? .
    Pretty much always.

Nattering nabob...I like that.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Pretty much always.

Nattering nabob...I like that.
    I can't take credit for nattering nabob. That gem was from Spiro T. Agnew.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Do you think Agnew had cyclists in mind when talking about a effete corps of impudent snobs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    No kidding? I thought it was Apocalypse Now Colonel Kurtz.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Seriously...he resurrects a 7 yr old thread to let us know about that silly bottle? I wonder what he was looking for when he came across that?
    Sorry, I had a new saddle bag's velcro shred my favorite bibs and I was searching for a solution. Found it and thought it was worth sharing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast