Bag ruined my shorts. New Bag?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Bag ruined my shorts. New Bag?

I got a new saddle, seat post and frame and some new shorts. The bag attached the the saddle and seat post fits a little different than on the old components, so 1/2 way in during my 1st ride I felt the velcro strap rubbing against my thigh.

The next ride I wore my new shorts for the 1st time, and again 1/2 in my ride I felt the same rubbing.

Before starting my 3rd ride, I noticed a hole in the 1st pair of shorts and just thought " Hmm, I wasn't expecting these to wear out that fast - oh wait a minute, that damn bag caused it!" I ran over to get my new shorts and noticed some wear (no hole yet) in the same spot! I was so pissed (and "misserable", lol, jk) thinking that's $200 down the drain!

I placed the contnets of the bag into the back pockets of my jersey but it was too heavy and felt wierd. So I just wrapped some electrical tape around the velcro straps.

Anyone have any suggestions on a new bag or anything?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    just one of the reasons I don't use a saddle bag.

I carry tools in a one-gallon ziploc rolled up and tucked into the center jersey pocket.

cheap, easy to locate contents in, and I never know it's there during a ride.

hopefully, this will ignite yet another lengthy bag / no bag argument...it's been a few weeks since we had one.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

'brifter' is a lame word.
    bag is upside down for one thing. you can cut that strap down a bit and it won't rub anymore. or tape it. or get a smaller bag, 'cuz that thing is huge. i can't stand when my legs rub stuff, and they pretty much contact any strap around the post, so i put stuff in my pockets. i only bring a tube, 2 CO2 cartridges. on a short ride w/ only 1 bottle needed i'll put my spares in a cut down water bottle.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    just one of the reasons I don't use a saddle bag.

I carry tools in a one-gallon ziploc rolled up and tucked into the center jersey pocket.

cheap, easy to locate contents in, and I never know it's there during a ride.

hopefully, this will ignite yet another lengthy bag / no bag argument...it's been a few weeks since we had one.
    I'll bite, Ox. I love having a saddle pack. I still carry a mini-pump and sometimes an 2nd tube in my jersey, but I love having my main extra tube, tire levers, multitool and patch kit in my pack.
    To the OP- I had a similar problem w/ wear on the insides of my shorts from the velcro. Easiest and best solution; a smaller bag. That monstrosity you've got is waaaay too big. You don't need to carry a ton of stuff in your bag.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

banned
    Mar 2012
    Maybe you have some baby fat that needs to be lost? Nothing worse than the old inner thighs rubbing together chirping like a cricket. Seems odd that you notice this going on after multiple rides and shorts. Maybe you need a bigger bag and a cow bell to let you know you are about to experience the rubbing?

HERKWO
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    bag is upside down
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    if you install the seatbag right-side up you will likely not experience the rubbing because the Velcro will be toward the top of your saddle and not touch your thigh while pedaling.
    HERKWO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys.

I've been a forum member for 5 years now with less than 300 posts so I didn't notice this being a reoccuring topic. Sorry I didn't do a search first, my bad.

I carry:
    1 house key
    1 pr plastic tire removal
    1 mini pump
    2 COC2 canisters (should I just have 1 or none at all?)
    1 spare tube (should i get rid of it and just get patches?)
    1 cell phone (I have the smaller dumb phone, but i can/have put that in my jersey pocket w/no discomfort)
    1 multi-allen key kit (only recently because I took did a new frame build myself and in case anything gets loose I have it. I could just take the allen keys from another kit that comes apart and use only the sizes I reall need)
    1- paper money (takes no space)

That seems to be it.

It does seem awfully big, but it is already very cramped. With all that in my jersey pockets, it felt like a springy bungy rope.

It never was an issues with my other bike setup. Actually, it might be better now the way it is in the photos. Before on the current bike setup (as well as on the old bike setup), the straps over the saddle rails were looped over more towards the rear and the one around the seat post was higher up the post. When it was like that, the 2 sides of the velcro where they stick together were at an angle, so they only made contact at a small section, allowing the end of the straps to be free and curl away towards my shorts. (The old seat had more rail length behind the sead post so the bag could be pushed further back and so it wasn't an issue).
    I'm going out for a ride now and see how it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsushita View Post
    Maybe you have some baby fat that needs to be lost? Nothing worse than the old inner thighs rubbing together chirping like a cricket. Seems odd that you notice this going on after multiple rides and shorts. Maybe you need a bigger bag and a cow bell to let you know you are about to experience the rubbing?
    6'0 177lbs.

Noticed after 2nd ride that it caused a wear in the shorts. When I felt it rubbing, I didn't know it was the velcro part itself. I thought it was the smooth part of the strap. When you're riding hard and adrenaline and endorphins kick, you don't realize how bad it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkwo View Post
    ^^^^THIS^^^^
    if you install the seatbag right-side up you will likely not experience the rubbing because the Velcro will be toward the top of your saddle and not touch your thigh while pedaling.
    Thanks! (and to you too cxwrench)

I had this bag for 5 years and everything I take stuff out or in, I wondered why they set it up so that "Specialized" is upside down. I thought because if you stand with your back facing the front of the bike and you bend over a bit tp put things in, then you can read it, lol!

The way I got the bag with the straps already looped through would only work upside down.

So I flipped it over now anjd looks like it should work. Will keep you guys posted! Thanks again!

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    2 CO2 canisters and a mini pump seems excessive to me. But then again I flat every 24 months or so.
    What is the reason for the discomfort when you carry stuff in you jersey pockets? Are your jerseys on the large side?

I don't use a seat bag. Spare tube, 1 CO2 with inflator, iPhone, cash and cards, house key and a multitool goes in my jersey pojkets together with food and eventual spare clothing. But i weat pretty tight fitting jerseys that don't move.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Technologia superiore
    Just received one of these as a gift - not sure if it works well yet, but

Large Sticky Pod | Sticky-Pod
    Sincerely,
    D

Slightly Opinionated
    Crap that's a huge saddle bag.

And rubbing the legs is why I just carry a very small camera case with my flat kit and such in my center pocket. Phone/cash in the right pocket. Plenty of room left over.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Arundel makes a coupla nice small bags that tuck under the seat and don't rub on nuthin'.
    Check the link.

http://www.arundelbike.com/seat-bags.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I have no extra weight to lose. However, my thighs still hit velcro wrapped around the seatpost. I found a bag that doesn't use any. It's a Blackburn. It uses a rubber strap instead. No more worn out shorts. It has enough room for a spare tube, multi-tool, patch kit, tire levers, tire boots, and a few other small odds and ends. ZAYANTE SMALL SADDLE - Bags

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Main reason against saddle bags:

A saddle bag looks way to much like a scrotum from behind. Ever ride behind a person with a saddle bag? How about one that is a little loose and swings back and forth as they pedal? Gawd Dang gross, get rid of that crap if you have any sense of dignity.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    or get a smaller one

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Arundel makes a coupla nice small bags that tuck under the seat and don't rub on nuthin'.
    Check the link.

http://www.arundelbike.com/seat-bags.html
    I've got the dual - very nice.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post

A saddle bag looks way to much like a scrotum from behind. Ever ride behind a person with a saddle bag? How about one that is a little loose and swings back and forth as they pedal? Gawd Dang gross, get rid of that crap if you have any sense of dignity.
    That's right,
    Cut off that damned scrotum and carry those balls in your pockets.

banned
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Crap that's a huge saddle bag.
    This!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Upside down or not, that bag is kinda large in all dimensions. Are you actually filling it completely with the items you carry? In any case it is good that you use a saddle bag, instead of trying to stuff the items in your jersey pockets. (Cyclists who do the latter are probably the most embarrassingly hilarious sight on the road). I'd suggest simply getting a smaller (or at least narrower) bag, if you can use a smaller volume.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
    Upside down or not, that bag is kinda large in all dimensions. Are you actually filling it completely with the items you carry? In any case it is good that you use a saddle bag, instead of trying to stuff the items in your jersey pockets. (Cyclists who do the latter are probably the most embarrassingly hilarious sight on the road). I'd suggest simply getting a smaller (or at least narrower) bag, if you can use a smaller volume.
    Yes, nothing more ridiculous than a cyclist with things stuck in pockets. That's why I laugh at everybody. Especially the clowns I ride with.
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Klim View Post
    I carry:
    1 house key
    1 pr plastic tire removal
    1 mini pump
    2 COC2 canisters (should I just have 1 or none at all?)
    1 spare tube (should i get rid of it and just get patches?)
    1 cell phone (I have the smaller dumb phone, but i can/have put that in my jersey pocket w/no discomfort)
    1 multi-allen key kit (only recently because I took did a new frame build myself and in case anything gets loose I have it. I could just take the allen keys from another kit that comes apart and use only the sizes I reall need)
    1- paper money (takes no space)

That seems to be it.

It does seem awfully big, but it is already very cramped. With all that in my jersey pockets, it felt like a springy bungy rope.
    That's why I split it up- some in jersey pockets, some in a reasonably sized bag.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by foto View Post

Get your set here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matsushita View Post
    Just carry those in the shorts and impress the girls.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Klim View Post
    I carry:
    I've got: patch kit, spare tube, multitool, smartphone, 1st aid kit, some cash, keys, and a gel or two in a saddle bag, with a full Zefal HPX frame pump under the top tube. I'm using this large expandable bag from REI. Nothing rubs, there's lots of extra room for anything else I might bring along since I don't have it expanded, and nothing in the jersey pockets. With the twist lock mount it doesn't sway around either, the only downside is the unfortunate color scheme. I'm considering adding a handlebar tube bag for fall weather to stash arm warmers, warmer gloves, or my cycling jacket on those "start cold, end warm" type rides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast