Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

BB30 Bottom Bracket Adapters - Threaded vs. Threadless ?

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  frankdatank1337 
#1 ·
Hi All,

This is an offshoot of an item I posted yesterday. I need to convert my 2013 CAAD10 to a non-BB30 crank (2013 SRAM Rival Compact GXP BB).
I am just coming up to speed on bottom bracket adapters. Seems to be two main technologies in play; threaded & non-threaded adapters. Threaded seem to be a more permanent type of installation. However, I plan to sell the bike in 3 or 4 years so assuming both type of adapters are equal cost/performance wise, I'm thinking I would want to utilize a solution that could be reversed to keep the bike as marketable as possible down the road. Am I missing anything ?

So who makes the best ? Wheels Manufacturing ? Others ? I need to dig something up quickly and order it. :)

Thanks,

J.

#2 ·
the adapter that presses into the frame has threads on the inside. the adapter is secured w/ loctite and is pretty much permanent. you would then thread a sram gxp bb into the adapter.
there are also press-in adapters that slide into bb30 bearings and allow the use of standard shimano or sram spindle cranks. wheels mfg makes a good product, i've used it in the past and had good luck. i'm sure others will chime in w/ their experience.

#5 ·
wheels mfg makes a good product, i've used it in the past and had good luck. i'm sure others will chime in w/ their experience.
Ive used the Wheels MFG adapter for a full year (with my 7800 cranks). I raced and trained with it and had no problems.
Although, if you're putting money down for a new frame why not buy a BB30 crankset? SRAM BB30 cranks are decently priced.

#3 ·
I have had the opposite experience with the Wheels Manufacturing adapter.
If I was to do it again I would use the KCNC or Praxis style adapter that screws into itself and cannot move.
I found that the Wheels Manufacturing adapter moved under load and I had it basically fall out twice.

#4 ·
Joe, I gave you my partial opinion in your first question.

Now I think you are being somewhat illogical (trying very hard to be nice here).

You will keep this frame for 4 years or so.

You are fretting about the resale value of some fairly common frame at that time.

Let me tell you - it's not going to be very much. We are not talking some exotic collectible here.

The resale value might be $20 different, or it might be no different if you have a threaded adapter installed.

Worry more about how you will enjoy the bike over the next few years, than a couple of $$ later.

Need I say more?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.