Bee-ach driver harrasses cyclist
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aug 2004

Bee-ach driver harrasses cyclist

The story: Bloated middle-age female swamp maggot was waiting at a red light in the left-hand turn lane, large SUV partially in the lane next to it. So, I ride around (on her right) and make the left-hand turn. I ride from the left-hand turn lane to the far right lane. However, I did run the red light (bad, idiotic me, bad), but there was no traffic.

Next thing I know she drives up, swerves in and out of the bike lane trying to hit me, screaming out the window and then drives off. Then I catch up to her at the next stoplight and tap on her window. She won't look over. So I roll to the back of her car and take her license number, then ride home. I am proud of my restraint.

After showering, I went to my local police department to file a complaint. It turns out she had already been there compaining about a cyclist who cut her off. She forgot to mention her little road rage episode. (Who goes to the Police Department to complain about a cyclist cutting them off?) However, when I spoke with the officer, he said there's nothing he can do and didn't bother to take the license number or file a report.

I live in a smallish-sized town in California. The road we were on is very popular with cyclists. Chances are that if she knew where the Police Department is she is local, too, and I will be seeing her again, though I dooubt she'd be able to tell me apart from any other lycra-wearing cyclist.

What do I do? Blow it off? Can I track her down? (I think if she realizes a cyclist is not a car she might knock it off.) Other (non-violent, non-stalker) mischief? I did think of putting up flyers with her license number and a warning along the road I was on and reporting her car as a gross polluter, a pricey no-no in California.

Done with winter.
    early warning posts like this will just cause nothing but more trouble.

(this is just my opinion... so take it for what you will)

The gist of it... you made a mistake/broke the law by running the red. That obviously set her off and gave her a bad impression of roadies. Next time she encounters a cyclist she'll probably apply her newly formed stereotype of lycra clad law breakers and be agressive. You really shouldn't pursue any kind of payback, there's nothing to be gained here. You can warn others to be on the look out and to avoid I suppose.

Lesson: Don't break the law and people won't have anything to yell about.

Mar 2003
    I know many (if not all of us) are guilty of blowing red lights, but... it is the law. It sounds like she overreacted, but I'd be surprized if you got any sympathy from the police on that one. Just my opinion, but what you did could have been avoided.

FWIW, when I encounter a similar situation, I wouldn't do that purely from the point of view that the vehicle in the left turn lane isn't necessarily going to be taking a left turn, and they certainly won't usually be looking for cyclists overtaking them on the inside to go across them. Better to get to the turn lane and make a stand in the middle of the lane (stopping other vehicles in the left turn lane trying to squeeze by you). Though I'm not averse to overtaking traffic on the right side of a lane, I'll squeeze in usually where there is a gap and do this rather than race off at the light change. Each to their own though.
    Fight Cystic Fibrosis: http://www.cycleforhaylee.org
    http://www.cff.org

off the back
    so the car can't make a left turn because of the red light, but you go ahead and turn anyway?

you're the reason motorists get so pissed at people on bikes. red lights apply to you too.

moron.

Aug 2004

Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by mique
    I did think of putting up flyers with her license number and a warning along the road I was on....
    Whe you see her, take a photo of her and add that to your flyer.

"Be on the lookout for mad b***h cyclist hater"

Jun 2004

Exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by rufus
    so the car can't make a left turn because of the red light, but you go ahead and turn anyway?

you're the reason motorists get so pissed at people on bikes. red lights apply to you too.

moron.
    You have absolutely no recourse. First, you rode around here on the right hand side. You're not supposed to do that. Do you drive a car? I assume yes, and you know the rules of the road more or less. If there was a space between the right lane and the left turn lane and you could squeeze your car through there would you? No. Get in line and wait for the light to change. And then you ran the red light. So "getting her back" would not be good. Because you were both wrong. People like you make motorists not like cyclists, and give them a bad taste in their mouths. So when they see someone like me who rides and trains everyday, their restraint is a little less, and they are probably more likely to run me off of the road for your stupid mistake. Smarter up brother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To the guys who are antagonizing the original poster... you've got to be kidding. We all make mistakes!

He ADMITTED his mistake. Hopefully he won't do it again... Regardless of his foul, the lady had NO RIGHT to swerve into the bike lane and try to run him off the road. Anyone who gets that angry is definately going to hurt someone soon, whether it be a cyclist or not.

Done with winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
    He ADMITTED his mistake. Hopefully he won't do it again... Regardless of his foul, the lady had NO RIGHT to swerve into the bike lane and try to run him off the road.
    True but probably the reason she came after him is that he made the decision to run the red light and pull around her rather than taking the lane and getting in behind her.

If he just gotten in line behind the car, none of this would have happened and everyone would have gone on their merry way.

Jun 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
    To the guys who are antagonizing the original poster... you've got to be kidding. We all make mistakes!

He ADMITTED his mistake. Hopefully he won't do it again... Regardless of his foul, the lady had NO RIGHT to swerve into the bike lane and try to run him off the road. Anyone who gets that angry is definately going to hurt someone soon, whether it be a cyclist or not.
    ...wrongs don't make a right. Right? I agree though, she did have no right to swerve at him, and if that had happened to me, if she got a little tap on the window, she'd be lucky. I don't like people messing with my life, or other people's lives.

off the back
    i'm sorry, but he's whining about the ladies behavior, and going to the cops and what "recourse" he has, when it was his own illegal, inconsiderate actions that sparked the encounter.

yes, what the lady did was wrong. but cyclists have to understand that what they do have repercussions elsewhere. that woman probably(95% certain) would have never done that if he, as a cyclist, hadn't broken the law, and flaunted his illegal act by riding around her to do it. she's sitting there thinking "what gives that jerk the right to run a red light, when i'm stuck here waiting, even if there's no traffic coming. why do i have to obey the law and he doesn't?"

so in the future, whenever she sees a cyclist, she's gonna paint them as inconsiderate lawbreakers just like this guy was, and carry anger toward them, not for any other reason than this one guy who ran the red light. and she might end up harming some completely innoicent person, all because this guy had to be a jerk.

I am pedlfoot
    Jan 1970

You made two mistakes...

...and you basically admitted you were wrong.If you do stupid things then you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences like road rage from motorists.Stop looking for people to feel sorry for you and rationalize for you.Learn from this and don't do it again.Now be a good little boy and go to bed.
    Steel is Real

Feb 2004
    She freakin tried to hit him with her 5000 pound car!! No matter how wrong he is, that does not give her the right to kill him.

Next time you report a driver to the police, ask for his badge number and name. Tell him that you are keeping a record of this so that if it happens again you will have a documantation. I get the "I didn't see it happen, so I can't do anything about it" all the time. Nobody saw Scott peterson kill his wife either...

Jun 2003
    When you went to the cops and heard that she said you cut her off, did you correct him by saying you ran the red light?

Nothing justifies her actions and the fact that she wouldn't look over at you, indicates that she knew that she was out of line as well. I'm curious, had she looked over, what would you have said? Would the first words out of you mouth be "Sorry for running that light?" or "WTF, are you trying to kill me?". For some reason, I suspect her not looking over was for the best, as this would have let the chain of stupid actions continue.

hi, I'm Larry

Let it go and move on.

The reason the police may not of been willing to do anything is that you started the chain of events by breaking the law. Yes, she went way overboard by trying to intimidate you with the SUV. But , you also got confrontational by tapping on the window.

The trouble here is you are both wrong. Your hands are dirty along with hers. With the chain of events the way they occured and with no witnesses there was nothing they could do and more important, willing to do. Let it go and move on.

Now, if you vilolated no law and she pulled the stunt for no reason other than thinking that you should not be on the road. The smart move would of been to follow, get the license number with no confrontation and call 911 and tell them this person was intentionally trying to run you off the road. Wait, and turn in a formal report. Clearly this lady would be a wack job in the policemans eyes and someone they needed to get off the street. Instead, they see just another rude cyclist and another rude hot headed lady.

I was waiting patiently behind a car at a light just yesterday evening. Yes, there was no cross traffic, but I waited. From the other dirrection I saw a cyclist come up from behind a couple of cars. Passed them on the left (between them and the left turn lane!), blow the light and continue on. The light changed 2 seconds later, the just passed cars had to pass the cyclist again. These stunts make it rough for the rest of us. All I could do is shake my head back and forth and frown at the fellow cyclist, what an idiot.

Ethical Nihilist

My advice to you is...

don't go around cars waiting the red at intersections. Pull up behind and wait your turn. I am not judging you or putting you down. I am not a goody-two-shoes. If an intersection is empty of traffic and no one is around I will run a red as fast as the next guy. But when drivers are sitting there and waiting for the light and you go round and thru on the red they get mad. And some will take their anger out on you.
    Work?! -- Maynard G. Krebs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Wow...

Apparently you really can justify swerving in to cyclists.

I'll consider that every time I see one make a stupid move. I'll need one of those cattle guard things they put on trains.

May 2004

exactly

Bimini got it right. You did a foolish thing and learn from your mistakes. We all do stupid things from time to time, and we're lucky when nothing bad comes from it. Sure the SUV driver was an idiot, but you weren't much better.

The bottom line: Follow the traffic laws and we'll all be better off. The fat lady in the SUV is now probably on the prowl for some cyclist to harass, thanks to you. That doesn't excuse her behavior, but it doesn't say much for you either.

Mar 2003
    Not sure if you were directing this comment at me? I'm guessing it's to the original poster but it looks on the threads like you were replying to me. But no, that's not what I do -for left hand turn lanes (assuming right hand driving countries) I take the middle of the lane to prevent other cars trying to squeeze by me, and more importantly to prevent that distracted driver who thinks they want to go left but changes their mind and then goes straight from ploughing over me.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus

moron.
    Fight Cystic Fibrosis: http://www.cycleforhaylee.org
    http://www.cff.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-speed
    Apparently you really can justify swerving in to cyclists.

I'll consider that every time I see one make a stupid move. I'll need one of those cattle guard things they put on trains.

Exactly what I was thinking. There is a section of my commute where there is a left turn lane, but no left arrow. There is usually a line of cars waiting to turn, so long that they don't all fit in the left turn "cut-out." Rather than having my a$$ hanging out in busy traffic, I'll often split the lane to turn left- not exactly legal, but given the alternatives, it is the safest thing to do.

My worst nightmare when I was riding motorcycle was being stopped, waiting to turn left on a busy four-lane road with no left turn lane- at night- with a 10 square inch brake light being the only visible thing about me. If there were a car behind me, I was more comfortable- if not, I was basically sitting stopped in the middle of the road with a turn signal on.

Back to the original post: I was riding along a narrow parkway where the speed is posted at 25 mph. I was doing nothing illegal, and I wasn't passing cars on the right at lights. A crazy woman tried to run me into the curb as she screamed for me to get off the road (an MUT ran alongside this particular parkway). It required incredible restraint on my part as I caught her at the light. This woman had just tried to pinch me against the curb as she slammed on her brakes- certainly an aggressive gesture. To make sure there was no confusion about her intent, she yelled at me. I memorized her number and emailed the incident in as a "dangerous driver" issue, but never heard back about anything.

I don't care what anyone says- while I agree that we should minimize provoking the ire of motorists, there is simply NO EXCUSE for a driver to exhibit such aggressive behavior. If the police won't do anything about it, it literally promotes vigilantism- of which no good can occur.

I agree it is incredibly annoying to have a cyclist I just passed (in my car) passing cars at a light, blow the light, then I have to pass him/her all over again. I will say this- I give that cyclist much less room the second, third, fourth time I pass. But how many of these bozos are acutally roadies?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know how some of you guys view justice, but at most, the original poster should have received a ticket for running the red light. He DOESN'T deserve being threatened by a large suv. When is it acceptable for the average citizen to take justice in their own hands. Imagine that. Every citizen taking matters physically into their own hands. If she tried swerving into me, I would do the same as he had done. She had no acceptable reason chase him down. At most, she should have called the cops on him.

Burning Fists of Love

Cool ring a ding ding

big huge car. bike with rider.

bike with rider violates the law and insults driver of big huge car

bike with rider now is upset that big huge car is several times their mass and can with little effort crush them

response of bike with rider: adhominem argument to big huge car. (beeeatch etc etc )

response of big huge car: see above

questions:

Bike with rider:

1)What color crack did you ingest before insulting a person operating a vehicle that in reality could make you a speed bump in about 30 seconds?

2)where is the rationality behind deserving a break coming from? admitting an error or mistake or fault does not by sheer fiat mean you are a better person. It just means you are human.

Example ala Steve Martin:"I forgot armed robbery was illegal"
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Feb 2004

a variation on bimini's advice

If you catch up to the person, get their license number, whip out your cell phone, and in a loud voice say "I'D LIKE TO REPORT A CASE OF ROAD RAGE. YES, I HAVE THE LICENSE. LET ME GET THE PERSON'S NAME", then knock on the glass and ask for the person's name. That should curb the driver's road rage tendencies because they'll fear: their insurance rates going up, and the police.

For evidence, you should get one of those helmet cams the MTBers wear and a video recorder. Otherwise, with no witnesses and no evidence (yep, getting run over leaves less evidence than getting shot), it'll be your word against hers...

However, as others mentioned, you were wrong for running the red that set this in motion. Not that it justifies road rage behavior, but it was wrong.
    BTW, why don't cyclists dismount, walk across the intersection w/ the bike (i.e., become a pedestrian), then remount? If you want to get past a red, it seems like a safer way to do it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttug
    big huge car. bike with rider.

bike with rider violates the law and insults driver of big huge car

How did the original rider insult the driver of the car?

Seriously, people, does everyone here unclip and touch a foot down at each stop sign? No rolling stops? Seriously? Nobody ever runs those red lights that will NEVER change unless you have a ton or two of steel sitting about the road sensor at the intersection? Nobody ever runs a red light at 6am when there isn't a human in sight, much less a car? Nobody ever rides more than 2 abreast on a club ride?

I've NEVER been on a club ride that obeyed the letter of the law. I almost always obey red lights- especially during prime time hours- but at 6am when there isn't a car in sight? I'll stop, wait a few seconds, then go... unless there are cars around- but I'm guessing I'm in a minority, because most other rides seem to blow the light even when there are cars around- or blow them during prime time.

Burning Fists of Love

Red face The irony

"If you catch up to the person, get their license number, whip out your cell phone, and in a loud voice say "I'D LIKE TO REPORT A CASE OF ROAD RAGE. YES, I HAVE THE LICENSE. LET ME GET THE PERSON'S NAME", then knock on the glass and ask for the person's name. That should curb the driver's road rage tendencies because they'll fear: their insurance rates going up, and the police."

So, commiting an act of road rage to report road rage does not seem at strange to you.............Might want to consider,calling on a cell, while riding, in traffic and then loud voice crackles in the head set, we have road rage here........yuh. I am very certain that the sheer magnitude of safety considerations on the part of the rider in that instance would instantly endear yourself to any local constable.

The straight dope is simple and others far wiser have already said it. Move on. Acting unsafely to complain about unsafe actions is at best freakish.

Burning Fists of Love

Exclamation Incorrect lane choice

OK, lets make it easy:

As life progressess, human beings as hopefully cognitive creatures begin to learn things.......Things like

Hey, I am on a bike and cars go really really fast and are much bigger than I am. So, why not play roulette and chance that every driver I see will act in strict accordance with the best in human actions. BECAUSE: Thats a fatal error.

I stop at all lights, I wait at all signs. At 6 a.m., Mr. I just drank all night and am leaving bang the co worker Inn might be doing a huge rate of sppeed and turnm you into a hood ornament despite the fact, that "it looked clear" No problem there right.

AND you ride with the wrong group. Unless they are named Team Organ donor, they are fools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast