Bent Fork Dropout

Feb 2004

Question Bent Fork Dropout

As I was taking my road bike of the roof rack this weekend, the front fork got "caught" and bent the dropout. The bend was kind of a twisting/spreading deal. I used some vice-grips to bend back mostly into shape after much cussing, but am now concerned about the stability of the fork. It is an Icon carbon fiber fork with bonded aluminum dropouts. I know aluminum can lose strength if it is bent, so the question is am I risking certain death, or at least severe road rash by not replacing the fork?

Many thanks for the help!

May 2002

Yes!

You risk death if you don't replace the fork. FixedGearNut nearly lost his on RAGBRAI a few years ago when he rode on a bent(broken) fork. You can click on our team page to see pictures. Email him if you want to hear a great story.
    Mark
    <a href="http://teamfrancis.emrydesign.com">Team Francis</a>

Remember, where ever you go, there you are.

Feb 2004
    My gut told me I was going to have to replace it........thanks for the input. I guess it makes more sense to spend $300 on a new fork than to end up dead.

Endorphin Junkie
    Feb 2004

I agree with Scienceguy

That's a bummer, but I wouldn't trust my dental work to a bent Al fork tip. I know Trek can re-bond rear dropouts in their carbon frames since a bud had one fixed a few years back. You might inquire if they can do a fork tip. It may be cost-prohibitive, but it's worth asking.

Kathy
    "Riding the wheel, our powers are revealed to us..." Maria Ward, Bicycling for Ladies, 1896

Feb 2004
    it is a Lemond bike (made in same factory as Trek), they might do it. I'll check, thanks!

Banned forever.....or not
    I bent an aluminum fork tip 5 years ago and it's still in one piece today. It was only one tip, so I put the tip in a vise and slowly worked it back straight. A front fork tip isn't like a rear drop out. Even if one side of your fork tip cracks, why would the wheel come out, when the other side is clamped tight. I check my fork tips every time I remove the front wheel, just to make sure that there aren't any cracks.
    But then again, I'm a cheap SOB.
    It all depends on how bent the tip is and if you hear any cracks when you straighten the tip. The cracks might mean the the whole tip might come out at a future time.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Endorphin Junkie
    Feb 2004

And if they can't fix it....

here's an idea for what to do with the body:

I cracked this fork by forgetting my bike was on the roof rack.

Kathy ;^P
    "Riding the wheel, our powers are revealed to us..." Maria Ward, Bicycling for Ladies, 1896

Feb 2004
    might be worth replacing it just to have a very cool TP holder........love it!

Feb 2004

what a marvelous idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky
    here's an idea for what to do with the body:

I cracked this fork by forgetting my bike was on the roof rack.

Kathy ;^P
    I have the same Look LDS fork (minus LS graphics) and that's how I felt about it every time it was ridden. No, it is not broken, crashed or damaged in any way 8-P
    Always Look At the Bright Side of Life Monty Python, Life of Brian

Endorphin Junkie
    Feb 2004

What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by CycloPathic
    I have the same Look LDS fork (minus LS graphics) and that's how I felt about it every time it was ridden. No, it is not broken, crashed or damaged in any way 8-P
    I'm curious what you didn't like, since I never had any problems with mine. I confessed my transgression to the shop owner where I bought the bike, and he gave me a good deal on another Litespeed fork. The new one was a little different, since it was 100% carbon fiber, but I never noticed a difference in the ride. The cracked one has and Al crown, and it has a hairline crack where the carbon blade meets the crown - it's apparently a weak spot.

Btw, I also have to confess the tissue holder is not my original idea. I got the idea from AK Ken over on MTBR who did something similar with an mtb fork he really didn't like.

Kathy ;^)
    Last edited by Lucky; 02-17-2004 at 12:37 PM. Reason: correct spelling