RoadBikeReview Member

Best LBS experience

OK, so we had a thread about the "toughest bike shop you've had to deal with". Now let's swing over to the positive side and discuss some good bike shop experiences.

So what is your best bike shop experience? What is it about your favorite bike shop that keeps you going back?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OK, so we had a thread about the "toughest bike shop you've had to deal with". Now let's swing over to the positive side and discuss some good bike shop experiences.

So what is your best bike shop experience? What is it about your favorite bike shop that keeps you going back?
    They're there for me. Their MO is to support the customer no matter how weird or far-fetched the customer's project is. Want a 26" shock on the front of a 20" BMX bike with drop bars? They'll set it up for you! It'll look weird as hell, and be super hard to ride, but someone on that staff will be stoked to help you out. The entire store is staffed by bike geeks, and the atmosphere of the store is warm and inviting, every single time you set foot in the door.

Oddly enough, the second sentence of the above paragraph is from a different bike shop, but it's the single sentence that I've grown to judge all bike shops by. I'm a weird guy, not gonna lie. I'll get a wild hair, and start brainstorming a hacky bike project (drop-bar beach cruiser, anyone?), and the shops that will at least listen to my ideas (that rarely come to fruition), humor me a little, and give me some feedback are the ones that I consistently go back to.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

Too many to detail but, in general the reason I spend time and money at a couple local places is primarily the staff. It's probably no coincidence the mechanics are really knowledgable and willing to help even teach if I'm interested. It's also probably no accident the shop(s) I tend to like are more "mom and pop" type places. No hype, less of a hard sell every time I come in and more of talking me down from making unnecessary purchases. Not so much now but, years ago when I didn't know as much that was huge to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In 2016, I did Leadville. Two weekends prior to the race, I found a crack in my carbon frame. I bought the bike from a shop that sponsored the team I was on the previous year. New team was sponsored by a different shop. However, I had a pretty good relationship with the guys at the shop. I called them to see about a warranty replacement frame. They took the bike warrantied the frame, built up the replacement frame within five days! The service was fantastic!

Meanwhile, the current bike shop sponsor of the new team never offered any help. I had been talking to them about a new bike (since they were the team sponsor), but they never said a word. I wasn't looking for a deal or anything, but the offer to order and deliver a new bike (if needed) before the race, would have been appreciated. They missed a huge opportunity to sell me a bike, but missed it.

To this day, my go to shop, is the shop that helped me the most. Anything I can't do or figure out myself, goes to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't recall ever having a "bad" experience from LBS and over the years, I'm guessing that all have gone that "extra step".

That said, a few years ago, I purchased a Klein frameset, then sat on the build for a while. Once the project was underway, I soon discovered that I had received the wrong headset.

When I returned to the shop, upon recognizing their error, but also realizing that they had no additional sets, the owner snatched a showroom Klein off the rack, removed it's headset and did an immediate exchange. My build was completed the next day.

addendum: one owner, who has passed, was relatively famous for his ability to be bribed.

For the cost of a beer or loose meat sandwich, your repair could be moved to top of the list.

a real member's member
    way too many to list.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.