Best Non-Clam Shell Traveling Case?
    RoadBikeReview Member

Question Best Non-Clam Shell Traveling Case?

Sorry to revisit an old question, but I am thinking of upgrading my travel case...a Perfomance Clam shell, to a nicer case with fork clamps, etc. The Perfomance case works ok, but it is a tight fit, and I don't like taking the bike apart so much. It looks like the Tri all case is type I'm looking for, but I've heard the hardware is not very durable...any suggestions or thoughts?

The web is a MUT
    Oct 2003

have one

Quote Originally Posted by T-Doc
    Sorry to revisit an old question, but I am thinking of upgrading my travel case...a Perfomance Clam shell, to a nicer case with fork clamps, etc. The Perfomance case works ok, but it is a tight fit, and I don't like taking the bike apart so much. It looks like the Tri all case is type I'm looking for, but I've heard the hardware is not very durable...any suggestions or thoughts?
    I haven't shipped a bike in mine yet, but it appears fine and held up just fine for a couple of local moves with heavy handed helpers moving stuff. I've got the two-bike Tri-all case, but if I were to do it over I'd probably go for the UPS sized single bike case.

I was told by several triathletes to always duct tape over the latches and straps to minimize the possibility of the handling equipment getting hung up on stuff. The wheels on the bottom are a different problem with the package handling conveyors at some transfer stations.

Pack all your extra clothing inside the case around the bike in case the forks pop out of the fork clamp when the case is dropped ("when", not "if").
    <<a sig line goes here>>

merckxman
    Jan 2002

VeloNews did review recently nm

don't have a copy, sri.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Doc

There's a company called Scicon in Italy that makes both hard and soft-shell cases. In fact, they are the most widely used case manufacturer in all of Europe. They used to have an importer in the US, but not sure if they do anymore. Alot of the Euro Team bikes are transported via Scicon bags. I've seen pictures of stacks of softshell cases stcked on ontop of another at airports on pallets waiting to be transported for team use.

Check out www.scicon.it

Good luck!

Sep 2002

Try a Sci-Con

I gave a Sci-Con that I used on a recent trip to New Zealand. It worked well. bike and all it wieghed about 40 pounds. It has caster wheels and it balances well. It is a bit large. You'll need a good size trunk or a wagon to get it to the airport. Unfortunately the marketing folks at Sci-Con have imprinted "Bike" on the side of the bag. This cost me the $80 fee when I checked in my bag. The woman at the counter was just about to let it slide when she saw the side of the case. On the bright side, coming back through L.A. they let it slide. No damage to the bike what so ever from handling. The side of the bag is well padded and there's plenty of room to throw all your gear in along with the bike. And all that is required to pack the bike is to take the handlebars off.

Bob