Best place to sell a used high-end road bike?
    Eddy 53:11

Best place to sell a used high-end road bike?

Thinning out my heard for the first time ever. I have a local ad on CL, and here on the classifieds. I'm thinking eBay may be my best bet, but maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Facebook marketplace is pretty popular.

CL is good. Some locations are better for selling than others. I've sold quite a few bikes on CL with success. You have to be patient for the right buyer and weed out the fakes and scammers though.

ebay is not a great option. You lose 10% right off the top to ebay for selling fee. If you're going to ship it (most likely) you've got another $50-$100 for shipping and insurance. Plus 3% to paypal.
    You can try listing it for 15% over what you want to recoup those costs, but no one on ebay wants to pay s#it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Eddy 53:11
    Crap. I'm not on FB and don't plan to be.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    Thinning out my heard for the first time ever. I have a local ad on CL, and here on the classifieds. I'm thinking eBay may be my best bet, but maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks.
    I've sold 3 bikes on ebay with good results. The advantage it has over CL is reaching a lot more people. Include the shipping cost in the price. You could also try putting adds on the bulletin board of your LBS if they has such a thing. If your club has a for sale section do that too

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    Crap. I'm not on FB and don't plan to be.
    I don't like FB either and I'm not on it under my name. But, I created an account with a fake name because I do like to see what's on the Marketplace and to check out other cycling related pages. I don't post, add friends, etc.

If I want to buy something I use my wife's account to contact the person. Just an idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've sold cars and bikes and bike stuff through Craigs list, price right and things sell for me in a week or 2. The only thing I would post on Ebay would be something that is a specialty item not likely to be of interest to many people.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Also consider http://www.theproscloset.com. You probably won't get as much as you'd get via Craigslist, but MUCH less hassle and I've gotten very tired of everyone on Craigslist trying to haggle me down. I list stuff for a very fair price (typically 50% of new assuming it's in excellent condition, less if not) and just hate when people want it for less.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    There's also a classifieds subforum here on RBR.

Post it there too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Also consider http://www.theproscloset.com. You probably won't get as much as you'd get via Craigslist, but MUCH less hassle and I've gotten very tired of everyone on Craigslist trying to haggle me down. I list stuff for a very fair price (typically 50% of new assuming it's in excellent condition, less if not) and just hate when people want it for less.
    I bought my Mondonico from ProsCloset on ebay. I am not sure if they work on consignment of some other deal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I bought my Mondonico from ProsCloset on ebay. I am not sure if they work on consignment of some other deal
    They are no longer a consignment business. They buy stuff outright and re-sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    They are no longer a consignment business. They buy stuff outright and re-sell it.
    They took my low bid so I was happy with it

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few years ago I sold a Trek Speed Concept on eBay, it was easy, but with a caveat or two.

1. I had a great box from the on-line purchase of a bike from Jenson USA (CFO told me I had to sell one bike in order to buy another one).
    2. I happened to benefit from an eBay promotion capping final value fees at $25.

I listed it with a "Buy it Now" price which I thought was on the high-end of fair, and it sold in four hours.
    I used Bike Fights for shipping, and charged the buyer what I was charged.

Seamless, easy process. Initially I used CL, but dealt with the typical BS.
    Last edited by GDTRFB; 1 Hour Ago at 04:24 PM.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.