Best place to sell a used high-end road bike?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eddy 53:11

Best place to sell a used high-end road bike?

Thinning out my heard for the first time ever. I have a local ad on CL, and here on the classifieds. I'm thinking eBay may be my best bet, but maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Facebook marketplace is pretty popular.

CL is good. Some locations are better for selling than others. I've sold quite a few bikes on CL with success. You have to be patient for the right buyer and weed out the fakes and scammers though.

ebay is not a great option. You lose 10% right off the top to ebay for selling fee. If you're going to ship it (most likely) you've got another $50-$100 for shipping and insurance. Plus 3% to paypal.
    You can try listing it for 15% over what you want to recoup those costs, but no one on ebay wants to pay s#it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Crap. I'm not on FB and don't plan to be.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    Thinning out my heard for the first time ever. I have a local ad on CL, and here on the classifieds. I'm thinking eBay may be my best bet, but maybe I'm missing something?
    Thanks.
    I've sold 3 bikes on ebay with good results. The advantage it has over CL is reaching a lot more people. Include the shipping cost in the price. You could also try putting adds on the bulletin board of your LBS if they has such a thing. If your club has a for sale section do that too

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Crap. I'm not on FB and don't plan to be.
    I don't like FB either and I'm not on it under my name. But, I created an account with a fake name because I do like to see what's on the Marketplace and to check out other cycling related pages. I don't post, add friends, etc.

If I want to buy something I use my wife's account to contact the person. Just an idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've sold cars and bikes and bike stuff through Craigs list, price right and things sell for me in a week or 2. The only thing I would post on Ebay would be something that is a specialty item not likely to be of interest to many people.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Also consider http://www.theproscloset.com. You probably won't get as much as you'd get via Craigslist, but MUCH less hassle and I've gotten very tired of everyone on Craigslist trying to haggle me down. I list stuff for a very fair price (typically 50% of new assuming it's in excellent condition, less if not) and just hate when people want it for less.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    There's also a classifieds subforum here on RBR.

Post it there too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Also consider http://www.theproscloset.com. You probably won't get as much as you'd get via Craigslist, but MUCH less hassle and I've gotten very tired of everyone on Craigslist trying to haggle me down. I list stuff for a very fair price (typically 50% of new assuming it's in excellent condition, less if not) and just hate when people want it for less.
    I bought my Mondonico from ProsCloset on ebay. I am not sure if they work on consignment of some other deal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I bought my Mondonico from ProsCloset on ebay. I am not sure if they work on consignment of some other deal
    They are no longer a consignment business. They buy stuff outright and re-sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    They are no longer a consignment business. They buy stuff outright and re-sell it.
    They took my low bid so I was happy with it

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few years ago I sold a Trek Speed Concept on eBay, it was easy, but with a caveat or two.

1. I had a great box from the on-line purchase of a bike from Jenson USA (CFO told me I had to sell one bike in order to buy another one).
    2. I happened to benefit from an eBay promotion capping final value fees at $25.

I listed it with a "Buy it Now" price which I thought was on the high-end of fair, and it sold in four hours.
    I used Bike Fights for shipping, and charged the buyer what I was charged.

Seamless, easy process. Initially I used CL, but dealt with the typical BS.
    Last edited by GDTRFB; 05-24-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    At least I'm enjoying the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GDTRFB View Post
    A few years ago I sold a Trek Speed Concept on eBay, it was easy, but with a caveat or two.

1. I had a great box from the on-line purchase of a bike from Jenson USA (CFO told me I had to sell one bike in order to buy another one).
    2. I happened to benefit from an eBay promotion capping final value fees at $25.

I listed it with a "Buy it Now" price which I thought was on the high-end of fair, and it sold in four hours.
    I used Bike Fights for shipping, and charged the buyer what I was charged.

Seamless, easy process. Initially I used CL, but dealt with the typical BS.
    +1 for BikeFlights. I have shipped a number of bikes that way. Its cheaper then UPS or FEDEX even though it seems to ship with FEDEX. The other advantage is you prepay and no one at FEDEX measures or weighs the box

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I've sold 3 bikes on ebay with good results. The advantage it has over CL is reaching a lot more people.
    ^^^This.

eBay may take a cut, but if you set up an auction, you will generally get a good price. Make your starting bid the very minimum you will accept. I sold 2 bikes on eBay and almost pooped my pants when I saw the price double in the last 5 minutes of the auction. The other advantage with eBay is that you have the $$ up front. CL requires more patience and you will have to deal with people coming to your home and trying to low ball you.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Pack Fodder.
    Depending on what you consider "high end", the Paceline forum is a good resource. Various Facebook groups (Online Swap Meet for Cycling and Triathlon) are good resources as well.

Ebay my be the way I feel. I hope I can pay my LBS to box and ship for me.

Banned Sock Puppet
    You can do that. Or you can just get an empty box from them, then pack and ship it yourself. Time vs. money.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    It's not hard to box up a bike. There are videos on the web that walk you through it. You can likely get a box from your LBS. Not all boxes are equal, some are sturdier than others. I prefer a box where both wheels are removed. Some have an inner cardboard insert that allows you to tie the frame and wheels to it.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Perhaps. Do you have a good LBS? Do you trust them to box your high end bike? Will they take responsibility if it's packaged improperly and damaged in shipping?

Or as Lombard said, get a box from the LBS. You can probably get one for free.
    Go to the hardware store and get a few sections of foam pipe insulation. Cover every section of the frame.
    Use Bikeflights to ship it. The last bike I shipped was about about $100 with $3k in insurance. 2-3 days shipping and signed receipt.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

gazing from the shadows
    Best place to sell one is to someone you know, or someone they know. Not just cyclists, put word out to people you know that you are selling one, and ask them to pass the word.

This works for a lot of things, actually.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Perhaps. Do you have a good LBS? Do you trust them to box your high end bike? Will they take responsibility if it's packaged improperly and damaged in shipping?

Or as Lombard said, get a box from the LBS. You can probably get one for free.
    Go to the hardware store and get a few sections of foam pipe insulation. Cover every section of the frame.
    Use Bikeflights to ship it. The last bike I shipped was about about $100 with $3k in insurance. 2-3 days shipping and signed receipt.
    Boxing a bike up yourself is pretty easy. Plumbing pipe insulation is a good idea. Since you need to remove the wheels, some braces for the fork and rear triangle also help avoid damage. The LBS might have some with the box you get from them, or you can make them with cut to size threaded rods, wing nuts and rubber washers.

Neophyte
    Also look into pinkbike.com. I've never bought/sold there myself but have browsed plenty, things do seem to sell:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Another vote for Ebay.
    The problem with CL is so many flaky people to deal with.
    Like they say I really want to buy it and hold it for me I will be right over and then they never show up. I was trying to sell my wife's Specialized Ruby which cost $2500 and was like new. Could not get any interest on CL even at $500, ended up taking $250 just to get it out of the garage. Could have gotten more for it on Ebay for sure even with the fees.
    Have sold a bike an many parts on Ebay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to have a fake ID with Facebook, and about two years ago I created a real ID because I wanted to sell some high end bikes I had that I never rode anymore.

Fast-forward to about a week ago, I get an epiphany that it's a great time to sell some bikes. So I posted my road bike on FB for $1,200 firm, and it was sold within a day of posting. I have about two dozen FB friends, and I may post once every month or 6 weeks, but I got a lot of likes and some endorsements from people that know me. The guy that bought it from me had two mutual friends, so we both were comfortable really quick. I posted cash only, but I would have taken a check from him.

It helps that our city is about 200k population and a metro area population of 1M. You're only about two links away from knowing a biking enthusiast. When the guy picked up the road bike, I showed him the MTB I was going to sell next. He ended buying it for $600 as well. I will say that both bikes were priced to move. I could have gotten $300 more for both bikes, but I wanted them out and didn't want to have to deal with tons of people.

I also advertised the road bike on CL. I got two inquiries with legitimate questions, and one spam offering to send a cashier's check. So I had a real positive experience selling thru FB, and I think the social media aspect can help increase the comfort level of who you are dealing with.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Another vote for Paceline's Classifieds. I love RBR but the Classifieds section isn't all that popular as it's fairly new.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't been %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast