best rack style

Thread: best rack style

Jan 2003

best rack style

Planning on getting a rack for the vehicle, what is the best style to go with? I do not have a roof rack or a trailer hitch. Right now I am only moving 2 bikes, but it will be 4+ in time. I do not have to take a bike in the car very often, only for vacation or event rides every other month or so. I am debating whether to get a factory rack and bike racks that fit, a thule or yakima tower system, or adding a hitch and getting a hitch carrier. I have experience with none of them-which is the best for ease and value?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002

Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost
    Planning on getting a rack for the vehicle, what is the best style to go with? I do not have a roof rack or a trailer hitch. Right now I am only moving 2 bikes, but it will be 4+ in time. I do not have to take a bike in the car very often, only for vacation or event rides every other month or so. I am debating whether to get a factory rack and bike racks that fit, a thule or yakima tower system, or adding a hitch and getting a hitch carrier. I have experience with none of them-which is the best for ease and value?

I have a Yakima tower system attached to the roof rack of my truck. It works fine, and I can throw on a ski rack when needed, but I'd get a hitch rack if possible now. With the roof rack, bikes must be lifted on top of the car (fine for me, but not for some); there is increased road noise and lowered MPG; and you must ALWAYS be aware of low bridges, overhangs, and YOUR OWN GARAGE! A hitch rack probably interferes less with MPG and road noise, keeps the bike cleaner, and avoids the height issue. The only downside might be the cost of getting the hitch and the rack, and access to the rear of the vehicle could be inhibited. You can get models that hold 4 bikes, and remove the rack when not in use. Good luck!

check out the podium

hitch rack

I have two cars, one with a hitch and one a roof rack. I've sheared the roof rack off twice and it kills me in gas milage. The hitch rack is easier and slightly more sophisticated IMHO.
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

Nov 2002
    those you find on women

i'll just apologize now and hope that i didn't offend anyone, but i couldn't resist ;)

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member

I have both...

a hitch rack and roof rack, one for each car. There is no right answer, and we have one of each due to our needs. We have a XC70 with a 2 inch hitch and the Thule Rak-n-Loc system. This system holds 2 bikes and can go to 4 with an additonal module (the whole system is modular and can convert to a ski carrier as well). With the hitch rack, you do not need to lift the bikes or take your front wheel off (I prefer fork mounted), the bikes don't get hit by as much cr$%p, and do not have to remember about clearance.

Our other car is not really hitch friendly, and we use a Thule roof carrier. It's also solid and durable. Unlike the hitch rack, this rack is used exclusively for our road bikes (I only ride road, unlike other family members), so there is no issue with lifting bikes (relatively light). Bottom line was that the hitch would not work with the car, and there is some added security with the bikes on the roof.

One benefit some throw out with respect to the roof rack (at least in theory) is you may not lose your bike in a rear end collision. This wasn't too great a factor for me.

Bottom line, get the rack that meets your needs and is within your budget.

Any ride...

Stay away from roof rack if poss...

I use a truck rack (Xport by Performance) and love it, but this kind is a problem for those without a pickup. Past experience: in addition to the roof rack concerns posted by others here, add the difficulty of getting the bug guts off the bike along with feathers from the occasional bird... Keeping a rack at the rear of the vehicle is a clean and easy solution, and can be loaded by people who are "vertically challenged"...

Brian

Nov 2002
    i would agree on this. i started putting my nice bikes in the car, even if it means taking a wheel or two off to avoid the roof rack i own.