Best Zwift Alternatives?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Question Best Zwift Alternatives?

I've been on Zwift since their beta late 2014, but a recent software update (June 2019) has me a bit annoyed with the company and so I'm starting to shop for alternatives... of which there seem to be many (Too many for me to test them all).

For those of you who have tried other training platforms, which ones do you like best?

Some 'requirements' for a Zwift alternative:

• Windows compatible platform (and Android if there is a mobile app)
    • Stable software (i.e., I don't like dealing with a software crash mid ride!)
    • Strava integration

Some nice-to-haves:

• Ability to join races
    • Ability to join group rides
    • Training rides

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    I've been on Zwift since their beta late 2014, but a recent software update (June 2019) has me a bit annoyed with the company and so I'm starting to shop for alternatives... of which there seem to be many (Too many for me to test them all).

For those of you who have tried other training platforms, which ones do you like best?

• Windows compatible platform (and Android if there is a mobile app)
    • Stable software (i.e., I don't like dealing with a software crash mid ride!)
    • Strava integration

Some nice-to-haves:

• Ability to join races
    • Ability to join group rides
    • Training rides
    I don't think there are alternatives that are as complete as Zwift. Here is what I've tried

Rouvy - uses actual video footage. The advantage is lots of routes (all the great climbs) but you are not riding in a virtual world. You can race against previous PR's or other peoples times. I found it to be very stable but quit because I was using Zwift more

Virtugo - this just went live for pay. I used it in Beta. Its pretty similar to Zwift (virtual worlds) but I found it buggy at the time. I think they have a free trial

Trainer road. This is not a simulated world. Its hardcore training. Ton's of workouts. Easy to use, very stable and does not require a fast machine.

There are others, but I have not tried them.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I wish I could participate in group ride simulations on my rollers...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I don't think there are alternatives that are as complete as Zwift. Here is what I've tried
    Thanks for the input, Dave. I had installed VirtuGo when it was in Beta, but when the final release came out, it said it was downloading the latest version and got stuck there! Unfortunately, my quest to move away from Zwift will probably put me back into buggy software land
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I wish I could participate in group ride simulations on my rollers...
    I think you can as long as you have a power meter on your bike, no? The one obvious problem, however, is that you're going to be radically limited as to how much power you can put out if your rollers don't have an integrated resistance mechanism (unless you can spin at about 200 RPM to make-up for the lack of resistance!) I used to ride rollers prior to investing in a smart trainer and although the trainer was $$$, to me it was well worth the switch from rollers as I spend half the year indoors due to winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Just out of curiosity, what do you find so annoying about the latest update?

You could also try RoadGrandTours. I haven't used it but have read of some who like it. Don't think they have nearly as many courses though.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you find so annoying about the latest update?
    Let's just say I'm not willing to pay for Zwift to push their political views on it's users. I pay for a cycling app; I can get politics elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    You could also try RoadGrandTours.
    Thanks! Apparently the software was renamed to RGTCycling and it looks decent. I think I'll try Roovy as well.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Thanks for the input, Dave. I had installed VirtuGo when it was in Beta, but when the final release came out, it said it was downloading the latest version and got stuck there! Unfortunately, my quest to move away from Zwift will probably put me back into buggy software land

I think you can as long as you have a power meter on your bike, no? The one obvious problem, however, is that you're going to be radically limited as to how much power you can put out if your rollers don't have an integrated resistance mechanism (unless you can spin at about 200 RPM to make-up for the lack of resistance!) I used to ride rollers prior to investing in a smart trainer and although the trainer was $$$, to me it was well worth the switch from rollers as I spend half the year indoors due to winter.
    I really prefer the feeling of actually *riding* the bike for balance and helping to achieve perfect pedal stroke. Not sure what you mean by ‘integrated’ resistance...if I use the two wind resistance fans on my McLain rollers, you can barely turn the cranks in the higher gears. Wouldn’t a power meter measure that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Let's just say I'm not willing to pay for Zwift to push their political views on it's users. I pay for a cycling app; I can get politics elsewhere.
    Oh FFS, is this about the whole LGBTQ thing? Zwift is pushing its political views on you by having special events? Ohhhhkay... Sorry I "helped" and welcome to my "ignore" list!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sad. Last I checked politics had NOTHING to do with this issue. It is an issue of the heart and attraction. People have politicized it, but that doesn't make it political as a default.

Vote with your pocket book, maybe I'll open a second account to counteract your political sensitivity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by krisdrum View Post
    Sad. Last I checked politics had NOTHING to do with this issue. It is an issue of the heart and attraction. People have politicized it, but that doesn't make it political as a default.

Vote with your pocket book, maybe I'll open a second account to counteract your political sensitivity.
    My thoughts exactly! Who are the snowflakes now?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    WTF? Celebrating gay pride month is "pushing political views"?

This June, Zwift is rolling out the rainbow carpet. We welcome you to join Pride On: Zwift’s celebration of LGBTQ Pride Month. Pride On is about fun, diversity, and community. Everyone is welcome in Watopia. Athletes of all stripes, orientations, and VO2 maxes congregate here to get active and push one another to become their best selves, regardless of how they identify.

Please join us for weekly social rides hosted by members, friends, and allies of the LGBTQ community.
    Pride On rides will be at a social pace, so you can chat and commune with fellow Zwifters. And be sure to share some Pride Ons. We’ve designed special rainbow Ride Ons to rain on all the Pride On events.
    Soooo... what exactly is the political view their pushing?

Fun, diversity, and community? Those bastards!
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Time to move this thread to PO. Does anyone have any bike related posts? Anyone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    My alternative to Zwift is Netflix, been using it for a 1.5 years. After a while Zwift just became boring for me so I dropped it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should be more tolerant of other views. We're tolerant of your poor grammar.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks! Apparently the software was renamed to RGTCycling and it looks decent. I think I'll try Roovy as well.
    OH!!! You are a homophobic bigot!

I wish I could rep so many people on this thread but sadly, I can’t...

I have met Matthew Shepard’s mother many times at events and I’ve spent time hanging out with her. I wish more people had that opportunity. It has Been my observation that the most homophobic men generally have sexual thoughts about other men that make them so uncomfortable that they rebel against their own sexual desire. This makes them very dangerous. They are dangerous to their own health and well-being but they are potentially deadly toward gay men.

You picked a weird sport to be a homophobic bigot... Cycling is generally progressive. You must shield your eyes from the rainbow jersey!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks everyone for being tolerant and understanding of my desire to find cycling training software that is free from politics.

While I actually do like discussing political topics in appropriate venues, I don't wear my political leanings on my sleeve as I've learned that doing so only brings division. As such, I'd prefer the Zwift did the same... even when they have the same views as I do. None of you know my views on any political topics, but clearly some of you have made assumptions as though you do and assumed I don't support your views.

For what it's worth, I believe all people should be treated with the same love and respect that I wish to be treated.

Anyway, back on-topic...

I installed Rouvy and RGT Cycling this morning. RGT Cycling has an app in the Windows Store which made for a better installation experience on Windows 10, but Rouvy definitely seems more Zwift-like in terms of what the software offers.

I hope to go for a ride tonight to test-out one of the apps... I may just subscribe to Rouvy and switch between the two (since RGT Cycling is free as of now) as the Rouvy Premium subscription is $5 less than Zwift per month.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone for being tolerant and understanding of my desire to find cycling training software that is free from politics.

While I actually do like discussing political topics in appropriate venues, I don't wear my political leanings on my sleeve as I've learned that doing so only brings division. As such, I'd prefer the Zwift did the same... even when they have the same views as I do. None of you know my views on any political topics, but clearly some of you have made assumptions as though you do and assumed I don't support your views.

For what it's worth, I believe all people should be treated with the same love and respect that I wish to be treated.

Anyway, back on-topic...

I installed Rouvy and RGT Cycling this morning. RGT Cycling has an app in the Windows Store which made for a better installation experience on Windows 10, but Rouvy definitely seems more Zwift-like in terms of what the software offers.

I hope to go for a ride tonight to test-out one of the apps... I may just subscribe to Rouvy and switch between the two (since RGT Cycling is free as of now) as the Rouvy Premium subscription is $5 less than Zwift per month.
    Sorry, don't mean to prolong the discussion, but I'm having a hard time understanding your motives. You don't owe us an explanation obviously, it just strikes me as odd and I assume others will react similarly.

You are basically saying "I don't want to give Zwift my money anymore because they are being "political" (we can debate how political this issue is all day, I'm sure). 99.99% of the time this will be due to the political opinion being different from your own. Vote with my wallet, I totally get that reaction. But now you are saying you agree with their view, but only take offense to the fact that they are taking a political stance. Maybe it is just me, but your reaction seems counter-intuitive, "I'm going to punish you for taking a stance I agree with". Most companies take a stand politically one way or another. If your criteria for who you support/don't is based solely on them being political, you may find yourself in a tight spot with not a lot of places to shop/get services. So yes, many of us assumed, but if you agree with Zwift's support of LGB rights, you are the 0.01% who are pulling their financial support from them while agreeing with their stance, and I'd imagine the vast majority of those folks canceling their subscriptions are doing so for other reasons.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone for being tolerant and understanding of my desire to find cycling training software that is free from politics. ;confused;
    The real confusion is your repeated need to assign "politics" to something that isn't politics.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The real confusion is your repeated need to assign "politics" to something that isn't politics.
    “You must spread some reputation around before giving it to tig again.”
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Zwift right now has no real competition. Many grand tour pros, conti pros, serious amateurs, are on it. It's entertainment, it's exercise, and it's social media, with the pros, all roll up into one. No other platform can come close.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    IMO the best alternative to Zwift is riding outside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    “Thanks everyone for being tolerant and understanding of my desire to find cycling training software that is free from politics”

This makes me sad on so many levels. The disconnect between sexuality and politics is bizarre. Like, really bizarre. If my assessment is correct and your concern is that Zwift is doing Pride events, than you are calling Pride events political events? It doesn’t require nuance to understand why this is so very wrong. My biologically determined attraction has nothing to do with the voting levers I pull. Hey every day we see conservative legislators being caught in airport bathrooms with boy hookers. Please clear up, are you making sexuality and political orientation the same? Yes or no?

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    IMO the best alternative to Zwift is riding outside.
    Lol. Riding as an outdoor Zwift simulation.

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    If my assessment is correct and your concern is that Zwift is doing Pride events, than you are calling Pride events political events? It doesn’t require nuance to understand why this is so very wrong.
    Interesting point which leads to a large issue. There are a great many people who associate their political leanings with exclusion of groups they disagree with on completely nonpolitical issues. Such disagreement and exclusion becomes political when it leads to the limitation of various rights. It doesn't take a particularly smart conservative to realize, among other things, the Obergefell decision was the correct one and the opposition's argument was based completely on animus and faulty logic.

I was going to rant on, but suffice to say that I agree with you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Interesting point which leads to a large issue. There are a great many people who associate their political leanings with exclusion of groups they disagree with on completely nonpolitical issues. Such disagreement and exclusion becomes political when it leads to the limitation of various rights. It doesn't take a particularly smart conservative to realize, among other things, the Obergefell decision was the correct one and the opposition's argument was based completely on animus and faulty logic.

I was going to rant on, but suffice to say that I agree with you.
    Well said. Oberrgefell still makes me well up... I never thought I’d see the day in my lifetime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast