Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Bib Recommnedations for riding a century

9K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  calle_betis 
#1 · (Edited)
What have you guys been wearing on a long ride? I'm planning on a 5 day 470 mile ride in Sept so I need some good bibs. I am willing to spend $100-$200 on a pair of bibs. I have a pair of Sugoi RS bibs which I like, but they're a little thin on the rear.

Has anyone tried the Campagnolo bibs from Aerotech? Just looking for some referrals from riders who love their bibs on long hauls.

#2 ·
In a word Assos have the best fit and therefore are the most comfortable on my long rides of 80miles +
Doesnt need to be the F1 mille either (or whatever the top of range ones are) but the Uno entry level one is perfect and not worth geting the 'top' of the range ones.

#3 ·
muscleendurance said:
In a word Assos have the best fit and therefore are the most comfortable on my long rides of 80miles +
Doesnt need to be the F1 mille either (or whatever the top of range ones are) but the Uno entry level one is perfect and not worth geting the 'top' of the range ones.
I agree 1000 percent with Mr Muscle

Thats all I wear on my end because I use a Full Carbon Selle Smp and I needed a really good bib to wear on those long rides and Assos is the bibs of choice for these buns.

However I just purchased a pair of Castelli this morning only because I was interested in the new Body Paint Model
if you are reading this and own this set can I please get your input?? I paid $200. so I cant wait to see if I should have stuck with Assos.

http://www.pbkblog.com/?p=4277

MidWest Playa

#4 ·
I have been doing quite a bit of distance and endurance riding and decided to treat myself with Assos bibs. What I really like is that the chamois stays in place and there is no seam rub on my legs. I have an inferior brand where after 2 hours the chamois seam acts like a saw on my thigh. The Assos lycra seems to hold to the body better than other shorts and bibs I have tried. The material moves with my body and doesn't allow friction rub anywhere.

The more time you spend on a bike the more you will notice inferior design. The slightest bit of discomfort is amplified with each second in the saddle. If you spend a lot of time riding then the cost of the bibs will seem minimal. The more you can focus on riding the better.

I have been on some long rides in bad bibs and the mind just wants to fixate on those hot spots.

#6 ·
Believe it or not, my Rapha bibs are probably even more comfortable than my Assos are. The Assos pad is almost too thick (at least to me)...it ends up feeling like a diaper, and rides up your rear end all day. I do have plenty of centuries in my Assos, and just kind of stopped thinking about the riding up thing, however. I got the Rapha bibs during a pretty good sale recently, and I have to admit - they are very, very comfortable. I've used them on a 150-mile day, and my sit bones were just fine afterwards. The pad they're using now (Cytech I think?) is just the right thickness and the rest of the bibs are just super comfortable. That, and the Rapha's are still on par with Assos in terms of price (retail is $200, but you can find deals from time to time). I'm very happy with them.

Of all the bibs I have, the Assos and Rapha's are the only ones that get used for anything in the neighborhood of 70+.

#7 · (Edited)
E 12 said:
Believe it or not, my Rapha bibs are probably even more comfortable than my Assos are. The Assos pad is almost too thick (at least to me)...it ends up feeling like a diaper, and rides up your rear end all day. I do have plenty of centuries in my Assos, and just kind of stopped thinking about the riding up thing, however. I got the Rapha bibs during a pretty good sale recently, and I have to admit - they are very, very comfortable. I've used them on a 150-mile day, and my sit bones were just fine afterwards. The pad they're using now (Cytech I think?) is just the right thickness and the rest of the bibs are just super comfortable. That, and the Rapha's are still on par with Assos in terms of price (retail is $200, but you can find deals from time to time). I'm very happy with them.

Of all the bibs I have, the Assos and Rapha's are the only ones that get used for anything in the neighborhood of 70+.
Sup E 12

Its funny how you happen to mention Rapha, I was just looking at the review last night on you tube. Andy from Competitive cyclist was doing a review on one of their Jersey. I agree with you on the Mille model Assos. To me the slimmer F1.13 which IMO is perfect and I will post a pics of my saddle to give you guys an idea what I am working with. just to show you how comfy these bibs are. I am wearing the nickers version on the pics attached. What model is the Rapha can you recommned??? I have room for one more bib this year to buy so I might want to give Rapha a shot. I cant wait to get the Body Paint Castelli I have heard nothing but good feedbacks on that bib.

Midwest Playa:thumbsup:

#13 ·
#14 ·
breakesfail said:
I have the Body Paint bib, but out of my other bibs I would recommend the Descente Avanti Bib Shorts for longer rides http://www.bikebling.com/Descente-Avanti-Pro-Bib-Short-p/descente-avanti-bibshort.htm

The padding in the Descente is sufficient without beingf nappy like. I think the padding is becoming a little flat in the Body Paint bibs after 4 months.

I also use a Selle SMP Forma saddle with leather no padding,

Sup Breakes

I just want to confirm we are talking about the Castelli body Paint 2010??? May I ask how you care for your bibs when its time to wash, do you throw them in the washer or hand wash?? Also do you throw them in the dryer or do you hang them to dry?

Other than the pads getting flat how is the overall fit? Last question I am normally a large in an Assos whcih is considered european fit and thats what I ordered, am I ok with that? I can still cancel my order if I want I just placed them on order yesterday.

Thanks again

MidwestPlaya

Thanks

#15 ·
If I were you I'd save up the extra cash for a top end set of bibs from Rapha or Assos. If you're willing to spend the money, the Asso FI Mille is without a doubt my favorite long distance short (anything above 70 miles). The cut, the seams, the fabrics, even the compression is dialed in perfectly.

#16 ·
calle_betis said:
How do the deSoto's sizes run? I wear a XL Sugoi, Descente, 36/37 waist. I like the price.

I wear a medium, which is pretty form fitting for me- the compression lycra has a bit less give than your standard fare.
By comparison, I wear a medium in Craft, Giordana, Capo, Garneau and almost anything else-- exte ondo and castelli I have to go a size up.

If you still have questions I'd go to www.desotosport.com The customer service is excellent and they're pretty responsive w/ emails. Since they make the bibs, they'd probably have a better idea about sizing.

One other thing- they're made in the US. I've had 3 pairs of mine for about a year, and the material is also pretty resiliant. I don't have pilling or threads coming out, even in the crotch region- and I ride an all carbon saddle.

#17 ·
agree that contruction matters

Dajianshan said:
Here's a comparison I made for a blog post on the issue. The Assos bibs are the F1-13. The other brand uses the same chamois material as Assos, but the rest of the construction is different.
I agree that how the chamois is stitched in can be as important as the chamois design itself. I see lots of high-tech overengineered chamois that are stitched in with thick abrasive thread and minimal stitches per inch. That said, bibs that I have had good success with on centuries are: Sugoi FX, Craft Master (Cytech chamois), Cannondale Surpass (CyTech chamois); Santini Twist Flex. I have a hole drawer of bibs that feel fine on 25 mile rides that have torn my butt up on centuries

#18 ·
DaveG said:
I agree that how the chamois is stitched in can be as important as the chamois design itself. I see lots of high-tech overengineered chamois that are stitched in with thick abrasive thread and minimal stitches per inch. That said, bibs that I have had good success with on centuries are: Sugoi FX, Craft Master (Cytech chamois), Cannondale Surpass (CyTech chamois); Santini Twist Flex. I have a hole drawer of bibs that feel fine on 25 mile rides that have torn my butt up on centuries
Heres my Take on the Assos Bibs,

Please pardon me because Assos for me is the ultimate Bib of choice.

When I ride the Weekday rides avg 20 to 30 Miles and balls ass flat out fast. I use my F1.13 Bibs.

When I know I am going to do a 100 miles ride on a Saturday, I take out the F1 Mille.

Theres alot of Assos haters out there and I don't blame them because they are expensive and not everyone is willing to shell out the cash for a fresh set, unless you get a used one on Ebay. All I can say is this, when you are out in the middle of Bum fu ck Egypt on a long ride, your body will start feeling the most minimal things you would normally ignore on a short ride and if you still have another 50 miles to go, thats the last thing you want to think about. IMO. I am sure there are other Bibs that will probably work for alot cheaper and do the job, but for me so far Assos is the choice. I placed an order on a Castelli body Paint and I will let you guys know how it works out for me. As I said before I ride on a Selle SMP full Carbon Saddle 150 grams (No Padding or cover) so I have to depend on a very good Bib for padding and comfort. In fairness my Sit bones are probably already used to this type of saddle.LOLS

Midwest Playa:thumbsup:

#19 ·
Midwest Playa,

I believe that my Castelli body Paint are the current 2010 design (not sure how 2009 differs). I have them in large. Overall they are well made and very light. The fit is excellent and the bib does not restrict movement in anyway. The padding is very soft, smooth and has more of a cushion feel to it. The padding is not too thick and the bib could probably be worn for a duathlon, as it is low profile, light and is cut quite low at the front. The bib fabric has an excellent feel to it, with very few seams. Made in Hungary

My Descente Avanti bib is a medium. The padding is sponge like, dimpled with a fair bit of bounce back when pressed. Quite high at the front, so not ideal if you carrying a bit of weight. Made in Portugal.

Hand washed only with detergent for silks/delicates and line dried.

I'm 5 8" 148lbs, average build

#20 ·
breakesfail said:
Midwest Playa,

I believe that my Castelli body Paint are the current 2010 design (not sure how 2009 differs). I have them in large. Overall they are well made and very light. The fit is excellent and the bib does not restrict movement in anyway. The padding is very soft, smooth and has more of a cushion feel to it. The padding is not too thick and the bib could probably be worn for a duathlon, as it is low profile, light and is cut quite low at the front. The bib fabric has an excellent feel to it, with very few seams. Made in Hungary

My Descente Avanti bib is a medium. The padding is sponge like, dimpled with a fair bit of bounce back when pressed. Quite high at the front, so not ideal if you carrying a bit of weight. Made in Portugal.

Hand washed only with detergent for silks/delicates and line dried.

I'm 5 8" 148lbs, average build
Thanks for the reply Breakesfail

I will go ahead and keep these since they are already paid for. and go from there.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

#24 ·
After a small friction burn this weekend, this thread is of special interest to me. Thanks to all for the feedback. Please keep it coming.,

So far I am pricing out the Assos bibs and will probably be purchasing next week. Anything of note on their sizing? (I am 6'6", so if they run small it would be helpful to know)

#26 ·
Giordana Body Clone Forma

There are two of the the top end Assos FI.13 in my bike closet but when I go over 50 miles, the pick is one of the two Giordana top of the line instead. The chamois is more plush:D .

Both are extraordinarily expensive but wear well.

I want to try the Castelli and a rep told me that the chamois is the same in all three of the top of the line models from them but the fabric is different.

+1 on the chamois cream suggestion above. In the movie 'Hell on Wheels' Zabel's soigneur is using what looks like the whole tube to bathe the chamois before a TdF stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.