Bicycle Roof Rack Meets Garage Door
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Unhappy Bicycle Roof Rack Meets Garage Door

*** Not My Bike ***

If you've ever wondered what it would actually look like if you forgot your bikes where on the top of your car when you pulled into the garage... I'm surprised at how well the bike itself held-up. Seems like the car sustained far more (expensive) damage.

I don't have a bicycle roof rack but I do put my kayaks on our SUV. My wife and I constantly remind each other as we're coming home... "DON'T pull into the garage!!!"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 03-29-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I have a small magnetic reminder that sit on my hood to remind me. Yakima makes them.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    If you've ever wondered what it would actually look like if you forgot your bikes where on the top of your car when you pulled into the garage...

I don't have a bicycle roof rack but I do put my kayaks on our SUV. My wife and I constantly remind each other as we're coming home... "DON'T pull into the garage!!!"
    A much better process is to leave something in the garage so that you can't pull in. Your story is a VERY old one, though the several thousand dollars in damage is far more than most.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hope that's not your ride... My condolence if it is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    When I owned a shop, we called them “Raccidents”.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    When I owned a shop, we called them “Raccidents”.
    The shop owner at the last LBS I used to go to....good guy, young and smart. Yea he did it, too.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I remember those days, all the near misses, the almost's, then one day it happened, I was lucky it just touched and no damage. Then I bought a Honda Element. Since then I rarely drive to a ride but I still have the Element, it will outlive me.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Your story is a VERY old one, though the several thousand dollars in damage is far more than most.
    It's at least 2015 old.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Darling of The Lounge
    My dad had a garage mishap with a large bbq grill strapped to the roof of our car, knocking both front legs off coming back from a beach picnic. Being frugal and resourceful, he repaired it by putting sections of an old broomstick through the severed aluminum tubes. He got another 30 years out of that damn grill.

I never had the misfortune of committing velocide in such a manner. Probably because I own a truck with a locking camper shell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trashcan in the garage parking space keeps this from happening for me.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I never had the misfortune of committing velocide in such a manner. Probably because I own a truck with a locking camper shell.
    Me also, well, a locking cap.

But I did manage to pull the bicycle out of the truck, carry the bike into the basement and back the truck into the garage. All without closing the hatch on the cap.
    It was pretty impressive the way that safety glass exploded into a bazillion pieces.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Garages are for storing bikes not cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by siclmn View Post
    I remember those days, all the near misses, the almost's, then one day it happened, I was lucky it just touched and no damage. Then I bought a Honda Element. Since then I rarely drive to a ride but I still have the Element, it will outlive me.
    I’m an Element driver as well. Bikes go inside not on top. I have a Yakima rack on it that clears the light fixture by 1/4”. Love that Element.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's at least 2015 old.
    I never said this happened yesterday. For those who haven't surfed to the ends of the Internet, it might still be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
    Garages are for storing bikes not cars.
    ^^^ This
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I’m an Element driver as well. Bikes go inside not on top.
    I drive a little Toyota Tacoma primarily for hauling bikes (and kayaks). While the bikes aren't totally enclosed (I wish they were), I never have to worry about smacking them into my garage door. I agree that the Honda Element is a great bike hauler... I wish the still made that vehicle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I don't park in the garage (there are too many nice bikes in there to soil it with a car).

I did witness a 'raccident' in the parking garage of the REI flagship store.

A couple had just purchased two new top-of-the-line (for REI) bikes, and proudly strapped them to the roof of their car in the garage.

As they got to the exit the bikes hit the top of the opening and ripped the bikes off, causing serious damage to both frames, wheels, and the roof of the car.

I felt terrible for them. They were both distraught. I even resisted the urge to snap a photo out of compassion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I felt terrible for them. They were both distraught. I even resisted the urge to snap a photo out of compassion.
    Bwahaha! I wonder if they bought bikes again or were too scarred and took up a different sport that doesn't require a rack... like running

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    I’m an Element driver as well. Bikes go inside not on top. I have a Yakima rack on it that clears the light fixture by 1/4”. Love that Element.
    17 years ago, my very pregnant wife and I went shopping for an Element. The salesman looked at us like we were crazy. Elements were marketed to the 'hey dude' surfer crowd. They missed that since every one I saw was driven by middle aged guys. We ended up with an Odyssey instead and I still have it. The thing won't die. And the worse part is, even if it drives like a boat and sits in every other driveway out there in the burbs, I'll probably get another one because its so damn useful. I can toss two bikes in the back without even removing the front wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Me also, well, a locking cap.

But I did manage to pull the bicycle out of the truck, carry the bike into the basement and back the truck into the garage. All without closing the hatch on the cap.
    It was pretty impressive the way that safety glass exploded into a bazillion pieces.

This is actually how I got my cap. I couldn't afford a new one so I trawled CL for months until one showed up that fit my vehicle and was actually the right color (red)! I called the guy and he said someone had already called but I could have it if the other guy didn't want it. The other guy took it so I continued looking.

The following week I see a cap listed for sale near where the other one was, but this didn't have the back glass. This one was black, but in the photos I could see some red flecks, then it all came together. I started wondering if this wasn't the same one! I called the original seller and sent him the ad and he said yes that was his. The guy had picked it up, brought it straight to the painter that evening and had it painted. Then brought it home and backed it into his garage with the hatch open. He said he was angry every time he looked at it and wanted it gone.

In the end, it cost me about the same, but I had to wait for the new glass. Man is that an expensive piece of glass! I'm still using it on a different truck (same model) but it's a closer color match, so I guess it worked out in the end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    There used to be an iPhone app that sounded an alarm when you got within 100-200 yards of your garage. It worked really well, as long as you remembered to arm the app when you left.

Neophyte
    I've done similar 3 times, the problem isn't just at home, it's when you are out and about (drive-thru windows, for example... although in my case it was going through a tunnel in a hotel parking lot to get from the front to the back parking lot while my wife and a 3 month old baby were both screaming at 12:30AM 7 hours into a long distance drive). The chances are very slim of it happening at home nowadays because I put a baby stroller in the way when I leave.

It's definitely interesting what things survive. For me with my Scott Addict, fork was destroyed, hairline crack on top tube near seat tube which was repaired by carbon repair people for a reasonable price, saddle was toast, but somehow the rear wheel was undamaged. The Yakima bike rack was fine, front crossbar was toast, rear crossbar was fine (and my car looked like the A-Team van for a few weeks before I got a new crossbar).

I know I've told this story before, but a friend of mine back in the day had a brand new Audi TT, a very nice custom-steel MTB, and a very good set of golf clubs (he was a pro-level golfer, had full ride scholarship in college). He drove the bike into the house going into the garage, it swung around and smashed the back window of the TT. In the panic of trying to assess damage and get over the shock, he took everything out of the back including the golf clubs and then managed to run his clubs over backing out.

Never Give Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    *** Not My Bike ***

If you've ever wondered what it would actually look like if you forgot your bikes where on the top of your car when you pulled into the garage... I'm surprised at how well the bike itself held-up. Seems like the car sustained far more (expensive) damage.

I never park my car in the garage, that's some crazy damage to the car.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Reading all these got me remembering an incident that's worth repeating, even tho no bicycles are involved.

Back in my youth a friend and myself were parked underground, 2 levels if I remember right. When we got back to the car the battery was dead and we needed a jump. Having no one near to call we called a tow truck and met him at the entrance. He arrived, we hopped in and into the parking garage we went. The 1st set of overhead lights were destroyed by the boom on the tow truck. The driver looked our way and said lets make this quick and followed our directions to our car, busting every set of overhead lights on the way. He jumped the car, took our cash and got the hell out of there as fast as he could, busting more lights on the way.

Don't know if he ever got caught as pay phones and cash meant we were off everyone's radar. There was much damage that evening.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Reading all these got me remembering an incident that's worth repeating, even tho no bicycles are involved.

Back in my youth a friend and myself were parked underground, 2 levels if I remember right. When we got back to the car the battery was dead and we needed a jump. Having no one near to call we called a tow truck and met him at the entrance. He arrived, we hopped in and into the parking garage we went. The 1st set of overhead lights were destroyed by the boom on the tow truck. The driver looked our way and said lets make this quick and followed our directions to our car, busting every set of overhead lights on the way. He jumped the car, took our cash and got the hell out of there as fast as he could, busting more lights on the way.

Don't know if he ever got caught as pay phones and cash meant we were off everyone's radar. There was much damage that evening.
    I once drove a tow truck part time, and we did answer calls in downtown parking garages. You do know that the boom on a tow truck can easily be lowered? In fact, our overhead flashing light assemblies were the only clearance issue we had, so we mounted our lights on a hinged base, and had to flip them back every time we went into one specific garage that only had 7' clearance. But, in all the calls I had in parking garages, I never once hit the boom. Not even when pulling a car out of the one with a 7' clearance.

That driver you called must've been a moron....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Did it once many years ago. Steel frame bike (IIRC), Toyta MR2, everything survived except the rear cross-bar on the rack. Lucky.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    In the panic of trying to assess damage and get over the shock, he took everything out of the back including the golf clubs and then managed to run his clubs over backing out.
    Yeesh. That was me backing my truck right into my parked Civic in an effort to GTH outta there during a fire evac at 4AM a few years back. Kids crying, dogs losing their minds (all in the cab of the truck). Smoke everywhere. Stress level = 11.
    "Her husband later told me it was a big, delicious potato; that she wanted it, and he just couldn't deny her." OEH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast