Bicycling Mag Fat Girl Cover-Thoughts? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    There are so many fat people, including cyclists, it is sad. I wonder what a fat cyclist who rides over 5000 miles a year eats...
    What people eat is the main reason there are so many obese people. I grocery shop every Sunday and am shocked to see what is in other people’s carts.
    It’s a major problem and only getting worse.
    Most overweight people don’t realize that being fat affects more than just themself

Russian Troll Farmer
    Have you seen what Eddy Mercx looks like today? I bet he's still faster than you are.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Guess what happens when overweight people bred, overweight kids.
    Guess what happens when people with 3rd grade education bred, ... ahhh ... people with 3rd grade educations. not what I wanted to say but....

Just imagine them as another species, like a whale.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    being grossly overweight looks like an awful way to go thru life.

glad I'm HWP.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post
    I'm regularly astounded when I look at what people have in their shopping carts! I mean it. Soda, sports drinks, bottled water, chips, really oddball processed "meats" of some sort. Oh man. I love salt, but the amount of sodium people get from highly processed foods is outrageous. I also wonder how many people consume their RDAs in just liquids - sodas, fancy "coffee" drinks, sports drinks. Oh man. I don't follow any special diet or regime, I like soda, I LOVE chocolate. But, everything in moderation. I also am a life-long athlete, so being over my ideal weight just isn't an option.

That said, I grew up eating a very well-rounded, broad diet. I think plenty of people grow up eating t.v. dinners and candy and never get out of the habit. It's depressing.
    Well that's a good way to make it about you (ten times "I")
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazz44 View Post
    Not a fan of the No Fat Shaming movement. Bottom line is its unhealthy.
    and riding the bike won't make it worse. Would anyone be better off if they stayed on the couch? Apart from some oversensitive watchers that is.
    Blows your hair back.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I am pro-bike, and that pretty much sums up my opinion on this matter.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I am pro-bike, and that pretty much sums up my opinion on this matter.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rideit again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rideit again.
    Got it.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Got it.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ogre again.

Apparently, I'm pretty generous with the way I spread around reps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Apparently, I'm pretty generous with the way I spread around reps.
    You're an e-wh0re.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    You're an e-wh0re.
    Does this mean = if i've been rep'd by SPIKE, i'm in somebody's 'little black book'?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I apologize. I'm pretty sure you've never been paid for your many clever responses. You're an e-****. Again, apologies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Isn't it all about the bike ? Disc brakes, muddy tires and shoes, upright quick release. I think she's badass inspiring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I'm torn on this topic...

Part of me absolutely agrees with the OP in that the "no fat shaming" movement has the potential to do more harm than good. What I'm seeing are people posting videos and images online with an attitude of, "I'm proud of being dangerously overweight and if you don't like it, you can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I have no intention of changing." Being arrogant and/or prideful about being overweight will not end well for that individual and does not resolve the issue. Spend some time on the CDC web site and you'll see that 1/3 of our country is now obese and this is a train-wreck in the making... being prideful about this isn't helping.

However, when I see someone exercising that doesn't look like a model of fitness, I've been trying hard to train my brain to think, "That's awesome, I'm glad this person has chosen to get some exercise rather than sit on the couch like so many American's do." Heck, I'm a pretty skinny guy and one thing I learned years ago is that just because I'm skinny on the outside doesn't mean I'm healthy on the inside!

Without having read the article, I don't think Bicycling Magazine is by any means making a statement that being overweight is just fine and we need to celebrate it. I'm assuming that they've had the courage to buck the trend of putting unrealistically pretty or handsome Photoshopped people on the cover and instead put a real person on the cover... i.e., a person that probably looks more like you and I and not a supermodel. They chose a person that has struggles with keeping fit in today's world and has chosen to get on a bike and do something about his/her fitness rather than do nothing.

My 2 cents.

banned
    Mar 2019
    It looks like another new trend in cycling marketing .
    Sort of a follow up if you will, to the Man-Bun Hipster on his Surly.
    Last edited by rudge66; 02-06-2020 at 08:09 AM.

gazing from the shadows
    There are different ways to advocate for fat acceptance.

Some argue that there is nothing wrong with being fat per se. Fat, but exercise and eat a good varied diet, good BP and cholesterol numbers, etc.... why not say that is healthy? 20 extra pounds isn't ideal, but so long as everything else is fine don't focus on the fat.

This works for people with a bit of a gut, or a fat butt. Ignore it, be healthy, enjoy life. You're doing fine. But keep in mind that adding 1 lb a year means that 20lbs over at 25 turns into 50 lbs over at 55... which is not going to be a good thing.

This argument fails when we get into obesity range, no doubt. I suppose it is possible that a non-body builder who weighs 350lbs and has normal BP and can climb a few flights of steps without resting or breaking into a sweat.. but I doubt you could find double digits of them.

But the other way to advocate for fat acceptance is to talk about how fat shaming is counterproductive. Just about EVERY fat person will tell you stories, if you ask, about them being yelled at out of the blue by strangers, horrible insults, when they are out in public. Exercising, or just walking down the street.

This I can get behind, stopping that stuff. If one reason for being inactive is the abuse you suffer when trying to be active, guess what you are likely to do in the future?

Not be active.

So put me down as STRONGLY anti-fat shaming, with very limited support for fat acceptance. And 100% support for anyone who rides, with an added helping of respect for anyone who has to overcome any obstacle to get out and ride.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    "But the other way to advocate for fat acceptance is to talk about how fat shaming is counterproductive. Just about EVERY fat person will tell you stories, if you ask, about them being yelled at out of the blue by strangers, horrible insults, when they are out in public. Exercising, or just walking down the street.

This I can get behind, stopping that stuff. If one reason for being inactive is the abuse you suffer when trying to be active, guess what you are likely to do in the future?

Not be active.

So put me down as STRONGLY anti-fat shaming, with very limited support for fat acceptance. And 100% support for anyone who rides, with an added helping of respect for anyone who has to overcome any obstacle to get out and ride."

Thank you. This is what I was getting at when I took offense at the comments about not being inline with the "no fat shaming movement". Fat shaming is counterproductive. We need to encourage those overweight people who are trying to exercise and improve their health, not denigrate them.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

banned
    Mar 2019
    Oh Please! let's stop twisting ourselves into a pretzel knot over this Magazine Cover.

Advice of the CDC Vaccine Lab ?, Doubting five Twinkies a day? Get real will ya!

A few years ago my Mom was on a cover, and she rode a bike too ya know... so get a life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pack Fodder.
    I have been what some considered dangerously thin (in my teens and early 20s). I have also been low-grade obese (in my early 30s). Both of these were based on body fat percentage, and I'm one of those rare unicorns that the BMI scale actually applies to. The switch was what happens when your youthful metabolism shuts off and injury nudges you into a life of inactivity. I didn't know how far I'd let myself go until I realized I was winded from tying my shoes.

Then I started riding, and pulled myself back into an active lifestyle and a healthy weight.

But, life interfered, I got older, retirement, stress, career change... and now I'm 20lbs overweight. Am I thrilled about it? Not at all. Am I beating myself up about it? Not really. When I'm ready, I'll put down the fork. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. Slowly but surely, the weight will come off.

When I see an obese person riding, it makes me happy. Keep moving. Have fun. Pick your own goals or don't have any at all. But keep riding. Good things happen when you ride. I'll never look down on a person who is moving. They're awesome.

Obesity is a serious problem on many levels for the individual and society as a whole. The only fix I know to counteract the worst effects is to get people moving. Shaming those that are in motion makes no sense. They're awesome.

Why give an sedentary person one more reason not to get off the couch?

Bottom line for me is this- if there are a gazillion people riding (fat, thin, rich, poor...), my quirky Euro-centric activity is less unusual, and perhaps I have less chance of getting hit by a driver who "didn't expect me to be on the road". We're normalized and visible. In the end, it's all about me.

Then again, Bicycling hasn't been relevant for a very, very long time.

banned
    Dec 2011
    She's fat,she's ugly,she's unhealthy. **** her and her fat.

Oh how great it is to live in this century when everyone gets offended by everything. Let's all clap the USA for giving to the world another one of those fantastic discoveries along with coca cola,mickey mouse and jews ruling the world : political correctness.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 02-10-2020 at 05:47 AM.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post

Oh how great it is to live in this century when everyone gets offended by everything. Let's all clap the USA for giving to the world another one of those fantastic discoveries alongg with coca cola,mickey mouse and jews ruling the world : political correctness.
    Amazing though how many people say they're okay with attacks disguised as "brutal honesty", "truth-telling" or a refusal to be "politically correct"... but only while they're on the giving end.

Let them receive some of that "truth" and suddenly it's all about the 'death of civility' and 'what ever happened to common decency?'...
    Last edited by Opus51569; 02-10-2020 at 05:59 AM.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

gazing from the shadows
    ...jews ruling the world...
    I have no idea why you went anti-Semitic in a thread about a fat woman on a bicycling magazine cover.

xxl

Oh how great it is to live in this century when everyone gets offended by everything. Let's all clap the USA for giving to the world another one of those fantastic discoveries alongg with coca cola,mickey mouse and jews ruling the world : political correctness.
    "**** her and her fat" seems a bit harsh.

And it could be worse, she could be riding an e-bike:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...ml#post5300674
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

There are over 6.2 million covid cases in the United States (as of September 6th), eight months after Donald Trump said it was "totally under control," and that "it's gonna be just fine."

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    "**** her and her fat" seems a bit harsh.
    Maybe. But maybe it was more revealing about Dev's real desires than intended?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast