Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bicycling Mag Fat Girl Cover-Thoughts?

9K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  Coolhand 
#1 ·
Not a fan of the No Fat Shaming movement. Bottom line is its unhealthy.

#3 ·
LOL. Do you have any idea how many Clydesdales there are on this forum? Planning on "fat shaming" all of us or just the woman on the cover? It's not like she's scarfing down Twinkies 5 at a time... she's on a bike getting it done. If you want someone to lighten up, maybe start with yourself.

Attachments

#4 ·
Obesity is not healthy, but then neither is "fat shaming". There are proven methods of helping someone achieve a healthier lifestyle, that is not one of them. Indeed, its result is more often than not the opposite of what is needed.

#6 ·
OP's attitude is all wrong.

Fitness should be for everybody. There's plenty of evidence that even light to moderate exercise can improve peoples health.

Also missing the plus size crowd means missed sales of clothing and possible alienation of potential riders. Folks of all sizes deserve quality apparel to suit their favorite outdoor activity, and people get discouraged when they can't buy things that fit.

I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, but I feel like anything that can be used to drive sales, especially brick and mortar sales for our hobby is a positive.

Lastly, that person rode 1000 miles across Alaska. They must not be in that bad of shape.

And finally, quit sweating fat folks, you don't always know why they're fat. My wife will never be skinny. Between a cesarean birth, two bad knees from previous athletic injuries and an auto immune disease that causes massive inflammation, her body just isn't cut out for vigorous exercise anymore.

#12 ·
I'm not a fan of unsolicited negative expressions and opinions. Bottom line is it's unhealthy for someone.

She's smiling in the pic, having a good time and is motivated to being healthy. Why piss on her parade? What benefit to anyone is that?

CDC states "Percent of adults aged 20 and over who are overweight, including obesity: 71.6%

Likely some of that 71% after seeing a larger body on a sports magazine cover get into cycling and lose the pounds and live longer, that cover is most likely the healthiest cover in Bicycling history. So I'm a fan of it.

#14 ·
I'm not about to shame a stranger. Yep, we have no idea what is going on with them. That said, it's a very tricky movement...I want people to be themselves, but I'm also alarmed at the obesity and lack of exercise going on these days. And the consumption habits that are strangling humans and the planet alike. I'd be fine if every single fast food chain went out of business.

But, no matter what, the more we can encourage people to get out and get moving, the better everyone is in the long run.

#15 ·
First off, I think it's a little virtue signalling designed to get clicks/subscriptions. Second, I don't have any problem whatsoever with an obese person doing what they can to better their health. I DO have a problem with an obese person walking through the supermarket with 3 liters of Pepsi and a box of Ring Dings, but whaddya gonna do?

Lol at the person comparing Clydes to the woman on the cover though. As a Clyde I'm deeply offended and reject your Clyde-shaming comparisons; honestly, you should be banned FOR LIFE!!!!!*

*everybody needs to chill

#16 ·
I'm regularly astounded when I look at what people have in their shopping carts! I mean it. Soda, sports drinks, bottled water, chips, really oddball processed "meats" of some sort. Oh man. I love salt, but the amount of sodium people get from highly processed foods is outrageous. I also wonder how many people consume their RDAs in just liquids - sodas, fancy "coffee" drinks, sports drinks. Oh man. I don't follow any special diet or regime, I like soda, I LOVE chocolate. But, everything in moderation. I also am a life-long athlete, so being over my ideal weight just isn't an option.

That said, I grew up eating a very well-rounded, broad diet. I think plenty of people grow up eating t.v. dinners and candy and never get out of the habit. It's depressing.

#18 ·
I don't get television shows like:
My 600lb life
1,000lb sisters
Biggest Loser
etc.

I guess a million cable channels gotta get content somewhere.

As for large people riding bicycles - lets applaud all efforts to exercise and improve their health and their life. My humble opinion.

#20 · (Edited)
It seems pretty obvious that Bicycling Magazine is looking to spark a discussion about body weight, hence the blaring text; "Every BODY is a cycling body". (Emphasis added to match the emphasis on the cover). Also the sub-title "I am an athlete now, not in some alternative thin body".

If Bicycling wanted to be completely "PC", the title on the cover should have been about her ride across Alaska, and never even mention her body. So shame on Bicycling. But if this woman rode 1,000 miles across Alaska, I'd like to see what she looked like before.

#22 ·
I see the point of the cover photo. It's letting folks...okay, prospective readers...know that you don't need to be a bean pole to enjoy bicycling. It also pokes a bit of fun at what is the visual cliche of the bicycling enthusiast.

Reactions: bradkay
#24 ·
We know that the mag and TV shows have agendas, I encourage any one to live a "health" life outside of appearance (we ARE as vision centered and a dog is scent centered... but we have a big eff'd brain).

Years ago, I would see a woman who dwarfed her bike. I imagined that it might have taken courage or comfort in her own skin to "invade" the cycling world.

I was happy for her despite I lack of knowledge of her story (assumptions).

#26 ·
There are so many fat people, including cyclists, it is sad. I wonder what a fat cyclist who rides over 5000 miles a year eats...
What people eat is the main reason there are so many obese people. I grocery shop every Sunday and am shocked to see what is in other people’s carts.
It’s a major problem and only getting worse.
Most overweight people don’t realize that being fat affects more than just themself

#28 ·
Guess what happens when overweight people bred, overweight kids.
Guess what happens when people with 3rd grade education bred, ... ahhh ... people with 3rd grade educations. not what I wanted to say but....

Just imagine them as another species, like a whale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.