Bicycling Mag Fat Girl Cover-Thoughts?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Bicycling Mag Fat Girl Cover-Thoughts?

Not a fan of the No Fat Shaming movement. Bottom line is its unhealthy.
    "Why I oughta..."

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Got a link with a pic?

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazz44 View Post
    LOL. Do you have any idea how many Clydesdales there are on this forum? Planning on "fat shaming" all of us or just the woman on the cover? It's not like she's scarfing down Twinkies 5 at a time... she's on a bike getting it done. If you want someone to lighten up, maybe start with yourself.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Obesity is not healthy, but then neither is "fat shaming". There are proven methods of helping someone achieve a healthier lifestyle, that is not one of them. Indeed, its result is more often than not the opposite of what is needed.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Darling of The Lounge
    Skinny is the new fat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    OP's attitude is all wrong.

Fitness should be for everybody. There's plenty of evidence that even light to moderate exercise can improve peoples health.

Also missing the plus size crowd means missed sales of clothing and possible alienation of potential riders. Folks of all sizes deserve quality apparel to suit their favorite outdoor activity, and people get discouraged when they can't buy things that fit.

I'm gonna hate myself for saying this, but I feel like anything that can be used to drive sales, especially brick and mortar sales for our hobby is a positive.

Lastly, that person rode 1000 miles across Alaska. They must not be in that bad of shape.

And finally, quit sweating fat folks, you don't always know why they're fat. My wife will never be skinny. Between a cesarean birth, two bad knees from previous athletic injuries and an auto immune disease that causes massive inflammation, her body just isn't cut out for vigorous exercise anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not saying negative about anyone of any size trying to get healthier. Read the article before commenting.
    "Why I oughta..."

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Not saying negative about anyone of any size trying to get healthier. Read the article before commenting.
    No? Apparently you want to say negative things to them in order to "shame" them into trying to get healthier. How else are to we interpret your comment: "Not a fan of the No Fat Shaming movement"?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Bicycling magazine is merely jumping on to the latest trends. Which is ALL they do.

The covergirl's physical appearance does not matter to me, and I neither support nor condemn her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    People are going to be different, get over it. Very few are going to meet my expectations, but they are who they are, not who you think they should be. Many are doing all they can to be where they are, there is nothing wrong with that.
    BANNED

What the what???
    Then don't be lazy. If you want people to read an article, include a link to it or cut and paste a relevant quote. All you asked about is the cover and you didn't even bother to post a picture of that.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not a fan of unsolicited negative expressions and opinions. Bottom line is it's unhealthy for someone.

She's smiling in the pic, having a good time and is motivated to being healthy. Why piss on her parade? What benefit to anyone is that?

CDC states "Percent of adults aged 20 and over who are overweight, including obesity: 71.6%

Likely some of that 71% after seeing a larger body on a sports magazine cover get into cycling and lose the pounds and live longer, that cover is most likely the healthiest cover in Bicycling history. So I'm a fan of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I would say that if the cover and article prompts someone who is overweight to start cycling, that is a good thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not about to shame a stranger. Yep, we have no idea what is going on with them. That said, it's a very tricky movement...I want people to be themselves, but I'm also alarmed at the obesity and lack of exercise going on these days. And the consumption habits that are strangling humans and the planet alike. I'd be fine if every single fast food chain went out of business.

But, no matter what, the more we can encourage people to get out and get moving, the better everyone is in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First off, I think it's a little virtue signalling designed to get clicks/subscriptions. Second, I don't have any problem whatsoever with an obese person doing what they can to better their health. I DO have a problem with an obese person walking through the supermarket with 3 liters of Pepsi and a box of Ring Dings, but whaddya gonna do?

Lol at the person comparing Clydes to the woman on the cover though. As a Clyde I'm deeply offended and reject your Clyde-shaming comparisons; honestly, you should be banned FOR LIFE!!!!!*

*everybody needs to chill

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm regularly astounded when I look at what people have in their shopping carts! I mean it. Soda, sports drinks, bottled water, chips, really oddball processed "meats" of some sort. Oh man. I love salt, but the amount of sodium people get from highly processed foods is outrageous. I also wonder how many people consume their RDAs in just liquids - sodas, fancy "coffee" drinks, sports drinks. Oh man. I don't follow any special diet or regime, I like soda, I LOVE chocolate. But, everything in moderation. I also am a life-long athlete, so being over my ideal weight just isn't an option.

That said, I grew up eating a very well-rounded, broad diet. I think plenty of people grow up eating t.v. dinners and candy and never get out of the habit. It's depressing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    I just hope you never see me out riding as I'm bigger than her.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    I don't get television shows like:
    My 600lb life
    1,000lb sisters
    Biggest Loser
    etc.

I guess a million cable channels gotta get content somewhere.

As for large people riding bicycles - lets applaud all efforts to exercise and improve their health and their life. My humble opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    What difference does it make how large someone is unless they are taking up 1/3 of your airline seat in addition to their own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    It seems pretty obvious that Bicycling Magazine is looking to spark a discussion about body weight, hence the blaring text; "Every BODY is a cycling body". (Emphasis added to match the emphasis on the cover). Also the sub-title "I am an athlete now, not in some alternative thin body".

If Bicycling wanted to be completely "PC", the title on the cover should have been about her ride across Alaska, and never even mention her body. So shame on Bicycling. But if this woman rode 1,000 miles across Alaska, I'd like to see what she looked like before.
    Last edited by AlanE; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:15 PM.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    What difference does it make how large someone is unless they are taking up 1/3 of your airline seat in addition to their own.
    That, plus common health conditions seen in obesity and their impact on healthcare and insurance, but I digress...

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I see the point of the cover photo. It's letting folks...okay, prospective readers...know that you don't need to be a bean pole to enjoy bicycling. It also pokes a bit of fun at what is the visual cliche of the bicycling enthusiast.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I see the point of the cover photo. It's letting folks...okay, prospective readers...know that you don't need to be a bean pole to enjoy bicycling. It also pokes a bit of fun at what is the visual cliche of the bicycling enthusiast.
    Of course I'm sure that prospective reader will put the magazine back down when they open it and see that they don't review bikes costing less than $5k.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We know that the mag and TV shows have agendas, I encourage any one to live a "health" life outside of appearance (we ARE as vision centered and a dog is scent centered... but we have a big eff'd brain).

Years ago, I would see a woman who dwarfed her bike. I imagined that it might have taken courage or comfort in her own skin to "invade" the cycling world.

I was happy for her despite I lack of knowledge of her story (assumptions).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Bikes. Bikes bikes bikes bikes bikes.

Bikes.

I applaud anyone who gets joy out of riding a bicycle. I donít care their size, their skin color, their gender, socio economic status, nationality or sexual orientation.

Bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast