Bicycling? What's that? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'll typically ride into the low 40's, maybe high 30's, and at those temperatures I see joggers, mostly women, and older men on hybrids. Also those that look to be cash strapped or have lost their license on department store bikes carrying groceries hanging below the handlebars.

I see very few cyclists on performance bikes in those temperatures, I suppose that they've taken to their trainers and such for the season.
    Chances are goo that I will be back on the rollers today
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll typically ride into the low 40's, maybe high 30's, and at those temperatures I see joggers, mostly women, and older men on hybrids. Also those that look to be cash strapped or have lost their license on department store bikes carrying groceries hanging below the handlebars.

I see very few cyclists on performance bikes in those temperatures, I suppose that they've taken to their trainers and such for the season.
    Until this year I've commuted to work down to -20F. But as I'm getting older I've found that I have less tolerance for the cold (or I'm just getting soft). I've decided I'm going to draw the line around -5F this year, any colder than that and I'm driving. :-/
    Word of the week: acquitted:
    The Democrats should "acquitted" when they were ahead.

Liars often accuse you of lying. - Steve Maraboli

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Until this year I've commuted to work down to -20F. But as I'm getting older I've found that I have less tolerance for the cold (or I'm just getting soft). I've decided I'm going to draw the line around -5F this year, any colder than that and I'm driving. :-/
    The only way that I'm gonna ride when it's -5F is when it's -5 somewhere else than where I'm riding. You're a harder man than me.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're a harder man than me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Thanks to smart phones, road has become a bit sketchier than I would like-- so the rotation has a bit more gravel and mountain bike then before. Still road bike, just more careful on where and when.
    I rode my road bike a grand total of twice in 2019, about 40 miles altogether. I don't really see that changing in the future as my roads just get more and more dangerous.

I did a ton of MTB though.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Well, first eliminate this curious weakening of power simply by being overtrained and in need of a vacation?

Had the same problem at about 40. The joints couldn't take the abuse anymore. So I took up weight lifting. It rehabbed the muscles, tendons, cardiovascular system, heart, lungs, everything. Just getting on a bike and riding didn't work. The knees couldn't take high impacts anymore, much like yours, as you say, playing soccer. I couldn't run a mile without beating up the knees.

One winter I followed Eddy B's winter lifting program. Dumbells were all that was needed. Twice a week over the winter he recommended lifting a grand total of "10 short tons." That took about an hour of 15# sets of 10-20 repetitions each. It adds up! I felt stronger on rides in the Spring. Now pushing 77, walks are also really helpful. The impacts strengthen the bones, like lifting, and works the heart and lungs like "low impact" cycling.

If the doctors can't find anything wrong, the reason could very well be upper body slowly becoming out of shape, in my case from "neglect," or more politely, "underuse." It was with me, and just about everyone I've ridden with who got started in their late thirties or early forties. Use it or lose. You don't have to beat yourself up, although when feeling good, it helps once in a while to see where the limits are.

Also, you'll find some time to take short rides and still satisfy fatherhood. Commuting, running errands, escaping for a couple of hours Sunday afternoons or an hour after work, will do it. Once fit, maintaining fitness takes much less toll on the body. You can build up power in the season faster on short rides than long rides, leaving plenty of time for the kids. So don't feel it's either/or, now that you're a dad.
    Thanks, can't rep you but would.

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ...in fact, about to log my first 10,000-mile year.
    There I was...

Frog Whisperer
    The only way that I'm gonna ride when it's -5F is when it's -5 somewhere else than where I'm riding. You're a harder man than me.
    My record was -12 f and it's never happening again. I did it exclusively for bragging rights, however, it occurred to me that telling people that I was certifiably insane doesn't seem much like bragging anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    My record was -12 f and it's never happening again. I did it exclusively for bragging rights, however, it occurred to me that telling people that I was certifiably insane doesn't seem much like bragging anymore.
    That depends on who you're speaking with, but yeah, perspective does change, and I'm starting to think that that may be a good thing.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    4 was my coldest ride with wicked windchill on top of that. But that was mtb. I hate the road bike in the cold. Iíll ride on the road in the high 40s... But on. Mtb Iíll snow bike or even better Iíll ice bike on the beach. When itís really cold you can play the tides and get onshore ice pack. Itís worth braving the temps for.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Banned forever.....or not
    I think that I'm on the road back.....Last week I started doing spin classes, and didn't die...Ö.I took it easy and only got my HR into the low 150's. (it still hurt) I was able to hold the bars without pain. I'm going to start riding the trainer this afternoon. (It's snowing out)Ö.Riding on the road might be a problem since my left eye is messed up, and will be a problem looking back...(maybe I should move to the UK, so that I can look back to the right)Ö..No sissy mirror for me.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I think that I'm on the road back.....Last week I started doing spin classes, and didn't die...Ö.I took it easy and only got my HR into the low 150's. (it still hurt) I was able to hold the bars without pain. I'm going to start riding the trainer this afternoon. (It's snowing out)Ö.Riding on the road might be a problem since my left eye is messed up, and will be a problem looking back...(maybe I should move to the UK, so that I can look back to the right)Ö..No sissy mirror for me.
    Go Grump!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I have been using the rollers a lot, I am having a bit*h of a time getting my heart rate over 150.

45 minutes at over 18 mph with the resistance unit and 150 was still my max, (track bike, so no shifting)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    Cycling enthusiasts have better oxygenated and functioning brains. the bicycle allows better vascularity in all parts of the anatomy ...Cycling keeps a healthy weight, stimulates the heart muscle, lowers the rhythm of the resting heart as well as the level of cholesterol and blood pressure.The increased breathing and heart rate caused by cycling stimulates the contraction of the intestinal muscles. which reduces the risk of colon cancer.
    Elizabeth Davis
    Travel Rider
    Chicago Illinois
    Visit My Website

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabethdavis1 View Post
    Cycling enthusiasts have better oxygenated and functioning brains. the bicycle allows better vascularity in all parts of the anatomy ...Cycling keeps a healthy weight, stimulates the heart muscle, lowers the rhythm of the resting heart as well as the level of cholesterol and blood pressure.The increased breathing and heart rate caused by cycling stimulates the contraction of the intestinal muscles. which reduces the risk of colon cancer.
    and welcome to RBR.....I think you may be preaching to the choir here You missed one hugely important benefit, it keeps other people alive.....no one wants to around a cyclist who hasn't ridden!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    4 was my coldest ride with wicked windchill on top of that. But that was mtb. I hate the road bike in the cold. Iíll ride on the road in the high 40s... But on. Mtb Iíll snow bike or even better Iíll ice bike on the beach. When itís really cold you can play the tides and get onshore ice pack. Itís worth braving the temps for.

Talk about riding in the cold.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer

Talk about riding in the cold.
    wonder who got to carry the wood stove?

I can't imagine riding at those temps, at -12F my breath was funneling under the balaclava and frosting on my sunglasses, and my top and bottom eyelashes actually froze together. Not all that pleasant!

RoadBikeReview Member

I can't imagine riding at those temps, at -12F my breath was funneling under the balaclava and frosting on my sunglasses, and my top and bottom eyelashes actually froze together. Not all that pleasant!
    In those conditions I'd be happy to carry the wood stove. In fact I wouldn't want it to be out of my sight.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    5 or 6 degrees outside right now, just got off the rollers, now I am headed outside to bring more firewood in! Sun's shining, and it appears to be beautiful out there..... Looks can be deceiving.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017

That's plenty cold for sure. The coldest I've rode is the teens above. I have neither the grit nor gear necessary for that stuff! I did a 10k once at -17F and the same happened with my eyelashes. When the ice bridged across my eyes enough I couldn't see anymore I had to whack at my eyes with my mittens to break it up. Aside from that, I was actually overdressed and was a parboiled mess when I was done. Running and riding in the cold are definitely very different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Cyclists go faster than runners. In the winter, running is better if you have good knees.
    BANNED

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Cyclists go faster than runners. In the winter, running is better if you have good knees.
    Create your own wind chill!

RoadBikeReview Member
    In those conditions I'd be happy to carry the wood stove. In fact I wouldn't want it to be out of my sight.
    Thatís awesome! Thanks for posting!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12