big-big, small-small chainring-cog combos
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

big-big, small-small chainring-cog combos

So when I grew up in the era of 10spds (5sp clusters), the first rule was never run big-big or small-small chainring-cluster combinations because of the steep angle it put the chain at, which would increase wear on the chain/gears and risk gear/cog slipping or chain drops. I lived by this rule and always found the gear crossover (in terms of increasing gear-inches) was mid-cluster anyway, so no biggie, even when I raced.

Fast-forward many years later as I transition off my downtube shifters and steel frames, I am surprised at how many people complain about chain-rub on the front derailleur or clicking rear derailleurs when riding big-big or small-small combos. And rarely do I see responses saying "don't do that".

Why?

Clusters have become incrementally wider to fit 10 or 11 cogs where there were once 5, shifting is indexed so no more infinitely adjustable trimming. If anything, I would expect the rule to hold true more now than ever. And I see manufs still saying not to run the steep-angle combos. So what is it with rider's expectations that you can run it without issues?

Am I simply old-school or out to lunch?

Oh hai there
    Chains are more flexible than they used to be.

Integrated Cyclist
    Jul 2006
    It is more friction and more wear. You're also more likely to break a chain in this mode due to the increased lateral load on the links. And of course, you're more likely to get rub out of the front derailleur.

Having said that, it's something that should be avoided but it won't kill you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Well, why people would do it is beyond me. Having the expectation that your drivetrain should perform flawlessly under these conditions is insane! IMO, of course, but it's analogous to the "doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't do it while training, but in a race if I need that gear I am going to use it.I just trim the FD to keep rubbing to a minimum

Cheese is my copilot
    Because with indexed shifting people think they don't have to think about their gears. So they don't. Just bang it in there and expect it to work.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Banned forever.....or not
    Ditto
    When you're in the big ring and in the 21 on a hill, the 23 is nice if you have to be ready to throw it in the 17 to answer a surge.
    Not needed very often, but nice to have ready.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by XR4Ti
    I am surprised at how many people complain about chain-rub on the front derailleur or clicking rear derailleurs when riding big-big or small-small combos. And rarely do I see responses saying "don't do that". Why?
    Actually, people constantly recommend not to cross chain. People still do it, but they get counselled not to. wooglin gave the best answer.

road bike resurrector
    it isn't reccomended, and I avoid it if possible.

I don't run the big-big unless I'm on a road course with a VERY sharp corner, like 160 or 180 degrees, but I don't run full power through it, it's a 23t and I'm not going anywhere on a 23t in a hurry.
    Stella - 84' Ciocc Designer - going under the chrome plater
    Maria - 86' Tommaso SLX - New money pit
    Lola - 76' Schwinn Superior - restoration project
    Josie - 74' Schwinn Continental - fixie project

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    Bike Racing Slightly Cheaper Than Crack (TM)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Because with indexed shifting people think they don't have to think about their gears. So they don't. Just bang it in there and expect it to work.
    OK, _that_ I believe.

I didn't even own a cat..
    I try not to do it. I find myself sometimes in the big/small gearing. It usually happens when I'm slowing down to my driveway or at a stop light.
    2008 Louis Garneau Sonix 6.4
    2002 KHS Flite 500
    1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur

The Cube
    my lbs owner when fitting me on my 105 compact double 10sp said big-big is OK, small-small is not. so I stay at 17 and above in the small chainring.
    K$

The Cube
    my lbs owner when fitting me on my 105 compact double 10sp said big-big is OK, small-small is not. so I stay at 17 and above in the small chainring.
    K$