Bike advice

Thread: Bike advice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019

Bike advice

I ride a mountain bike. For workout purposes, I was thinking of getting a stationary bike then thought about a combo road bike and trainer. Plus I could use the bike to ride around town. I would most likely never do 100 mile plus rides. I would ride an hour tops, so my guess is no more than 30 miles in a session. So I need some help in picking up a road bike to suit these use cases. My requirements would be that it was not too heavy (mostly aluminum would work is my guess) and had decent components. I’m fine with buying used to get more bang for my buck. What bike should I get? Price wise no more than $400 ish. Also trainer advice is welcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlaustin View Post
    [FONT="][FONT="]I ride a mountain bike. For workout purposes, I was thinking of getting a stationary bike then thought about a combo road bike and trainer. Plus I could use the bike to ride around town. I would most likely never do 100 mile plus rides. I would ride an hour tops, so my guess is no more than 30 miles in a session. So I need some help in picking up a road bike to suit these use cases. My requirements would be that it was not too heavy (mostly aluminum would work is my guess) and had decent components. I’m fine with buying used to get more bang for my buck. What bike should I get? Price wise no more than $400 ish. Also trainer advice is welcome.[/FONT][/FONT]
    30mph?

I don't think that you can get a motorcycle for $400ish.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    30mph average? Yeah, right. Probably half that.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Looks like a nice bike. But I’m 5’ 8”, so that is too big.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    30mph?

I don't think that you can get a motorcycle for $400ish.
    I wasn’t tying the 30 miles to the hour. Just saying that or the hour would be a top. Maybe a used scooter haha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlaustin View Post
    I wasn’t tying the 30 miles to the hour. Just saying that or the hour would be a top. Maybe a used scooter haha.
    There would be no 30 mile rides, you couldn't get there fast enough.
    BANNED

a real member's member
    https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...791788068.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...790894032.html

craigs search criteria: suntour | campy | campagnolo | italian | italy | columbus | 531 | tange | ishiwata | motobecane | 600 | dura | grand | cinelli | japan | reynolds | miyata | peugeot | vitus
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...791788068.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...790894032.html

craigs search criteria: suntour | campy | campagnolo | italian | italy | columbus | 531 | tange | ishiwata | motobecane | 600 | dura | grand | cinelli | japan | reynolds | miyata | peugeot | vitus
    Nice Trek 520! Looks like a complete restoration. Reynolds 501 tubing was Reynolds "recreational" offering aping 531. But wait. If it really does have 27" rims, tire selection will suck.

That Limongie [sp] says Columbus CRMO...something or other on the sticker, also a budget level tubing aping SL. Both were no doubt heavier than their pricier counterparts and wouldn't have been quite as comfortable on a long, hard ride.

Someone 5'8" would fit 52, 53, 54 cm. frames.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 01-12-2019 at 10:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019

RoadBikeReview Member
    both look good. do you need the 30 gears and they are a weight penalty. If I wanted to go fast, I'd get the Madone. IF IT FITS.

[REDACTED]
    The bike is good. Those paired spoke wheels are JUNK and are well known for spoke hole cracks. My rear wheel was trashed at 4K miles. If you buy this, be prepared that you may be replacing at least the rear wheel soon.

I would check this GT bike out. It's your size:

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...779860793.html

GT is a sleeper brand which is actually pretty good.
    Last edited by Lombard; 01-13-2019 at 07:16 AM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2016
    Of the ones listed I would go for the Trek Madone 5.2 then the GT

Here's an older Cannondale:
    https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/d/...776666119.html

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    If it really does have 27" rims, tire selection will suck.
    meh. i hear that, but you can still get really good tires. i ride japanese paselas anyway. if you ride 23mm, you'll be s.o.l., but most folks ride 25mm (1") or wider now.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    meh. i hear that, but you can still get really good tires. i ride japanese paselas anyway. if you ride 23mm, you'll be s.o.l., but most folks ride 25mm (1") or wider now.
    What I noticed about that bike was that the tires were hardly worn.....and that they looked like there were the original tires, which would mean the bike probably has all of 20 miles on it. Regardless, that 35 year old rubber needs to be changed, and some 27" Paselas are a great choice.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    They're sure low end offerings at the LBS. Japan must have stuck to 27" tires after the US and Europe standardized on 700C in the '80s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    They're sure low end offerings at the LBS. Japan must have stuck to 27" tires after the US and Europe standardized on 700C in the '80s.
    The market for 27" tires may not be as large as for 700c but it's large enough for a few companys to continue to make them. The quality and selection isn't what you will find for the 700c tires but most performance riders have moved on to current standards.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/27in-road-tires
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    The market for 27" tires may not be as large as for 700c but it's large enough for a few companys to continue to make them. The quality and selection isn't what you will find for the 700c tires but most performance riders have moved on to current standards.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/27in-road-tires
    Come to think of it, weren't 27" tires standard in Britain, India, Japan, and perhaps China for decades? Must be lots of those bikes still being ridden, and there's a market worthy of Conti Gatorskins.

The LBS in VA won't sell many of those tires, but nice to know they're out there online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    Thanks everyone for your help. I need to do some thinking on what will be the best option.