which bike to buy?

Feb 2004

which bike to buy?

Started mountain biking several years ago and am looking into buying my first road bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginners level bike? I'm about 5'9'' and 155 lbs.; i live in Memphis TN, mostly flat terrain. im lookin to spend around $1000-$1500. thanks.
    Last edited by jerico83; 02-03-2004 at 07:41 PM.

Bikespace member

you can get a lot

Quote Originally Posted by jerico83
    Started mountain biking several years ago and am looking into buying my first road bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginners level bike? im lookin to spend around $1000-$1500. thanks.
    you can find quite a bit in that price range. the best thing is to try stuff around. most brands will have something in your price range with good components. you could even find some small custom builders and get a custom frame with 105 components at around the end of your range.

classiquesklassieker

More info?

It might help to give more info about yourself. Are you a big guy? Do you like
    climbs? Where do you live, how is the terrain?

At that price point you can get a really nice bike, with different characters.

Started mountain biking several years ago and am looking into buying my first road bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginners level bike? im lookin to spend around $1000-$1500. thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

possibilities...

Take a look at the Litespeed Capella at Colorado Cyclist, only $1200. Normally I'd never recommend anything that didn't have a Campy 10-speed drivetrain, but this is a decent deal for ShimaNO equipped bike.

Also take a look at www.gvhbikes.com. Gary has good prices and you might get into a Campy Centaur 10-speed bike at the top of your price range.

Strained coccyx etc etc

Lightbulb re: memphis

email me offline for local recommendations. i am also in memphis, tn, as are many RBR community members.

regarding your budget and a first road bike, my web-suggestion would be contacting gary hobbs (www.gvhbikes.com) after perusing his website. many deals to be had at your price window.

buying a first road bike is difficult site-unseen. without a little experience riding road, sometimes tough to know what you're looking for exactly. be careful where you place your loyalties locally--again, get w/me offline about that. jshaikushop at yahoo dot com.

good luck.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

scruffy nerf herder

Lots of options....

The other guys are right, you have a lot to chose from. You really need to decide what kind of riding you will be doing, all purpose, all weather, terrain... number of miles...etc. At your height and weight, you really don't have many restrictions. You could piece something together for a decent price. I've seen some pretty fat deals on some of last years frames... including the Look 361i, but you can get a nice 853 steel, such as the Fuji Roubaix Pro, or Lemond or there are several to pick from. Or, if you go aluminum... the choices are about endless. But get most importantly get something that fits, and do not worry about 105 vs ultegra.

Bottom line is that you are gonna get all sorts of suggestions. I think the best bet would be for you to narrow it down to a few, then you could probably get some more objective opinions here.

******** ALERT *******ALERT**********ALERT******
    But, if you are looking to save a few bucks and dont want to drop that much cash, Im your size and got a bike to sell for about half that. You can email me, though. Before I get chastized by the rest of the readers.... (Fondriest/105/Ultegra/Open Pros)

Jan 2004
    I got a raliegh heritage international (zona steel tubing, carbon fork, campy centaur double w 10 spd cassett) for 1100 (less cause I traded my other road bike in) and really love it. They have 3 different heritage models, each with different frame/components.

RoadBikeReview Member

Have you measured yourself for size? Key step.

Started mountain biking several years ago and am looking into buying my first road bike. Does anyone have any suggestions for a beginners level bike? I'm about 5'9'' and 155 lbs.; i live in Memphis TN, mostly flat terrain. im lookin to spend around $1000-$1500. thanks.
    Since you have a mountain biking background, you might look into something with compact frame geometry (which would be more like your mtn bike and perhaps more comfortable). There are other "crossover" features on road bikes now, such as top of the handlebar brake levers (tho I think many core road riders do not like them, including myself).

As noted by others, you really need to analyze what kind of riding you're interested in. Consider size (what frame size is good for you?), distance, intensity (do you plan to do triathalons or other racing?), group rides or ride alone, room to grow (will you want to upgrade later?). My advice is to take these considerations to your LBS and talk with them. They can give you many options.

There is a good link for frame sizing on the RBR Discussions main page, "Idiots guide to bike fit", tho its a bit complicated. I recently used this--

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/BikeFit/index.cfm

and found it helpful.

If you really want a recommended brand, I'd start looking at Specialized Allez series or Trek 2000 and go from there.