• 02-08-2009
    Originalyappa
    Bike fit - Cycle Fit - Specialized BG Fit
    Is there anymore who has used the Specialized BG Fit set up?

It has only come into the UK the past 5 months or so, what are your thoughts on it?

Has anyone used www.cyclefit.co.uk ? What are your experiences of it.

Both take around 2+ hours, both are dynamic fittings, both look at the pedal interface.

Both are around the same price

Thoughts? Comments?

Are there any other positive experiences from other providers of bike fit??
  • 02-08-2009
    acid_rider
    I have only a partial answer. I bought Spec footbed (blue insoles) and their in-shoe wedges. i have 19 degree varus on right leg and 7 degree on left leg, professionally measured. Also my right leg 4.5mm shorter than left (3mm lower leg and 1.5mm femur/hip). The blue footbeds did not make any positive or negative difference to me i.e. waste of money, standard insoles work as well. The in-shoe wedges, like the Spec BG shoes, also do not work very effectively, they bulk up the inside of the shoe and you need a lot of wedging to correct the varus or to shim the foot - forefoot only. So I now use the BFS cleat-based wedges+shims (formerly LeWedge), they are vastly more effective because they tilt the whole foot, not just the forefoot like BG shoes/wedges. I also counterstack several of BFS wedges to form a 5mm shim to compensate for my short leg. Works much better. Also note that Spec BG shoes have built-in 1.5mm varus on each foot which wont work very well if you dont want any varus tilt or a lot of tilt. My left knee does not like any tilt at all. So be careful with those Spec BG shoes, if both your feet like a litte varus tilt these shoes *might* work, otherwise I suggest you stick with regular shoes and cleat-based wedges, it allows for a lot more flexibility.

Re Spec BG cycle-fit or cyclefit in UK, I have no idea. I was fitted by Steve Hogg in Sydney Australia, I can highly recommend that but the flight price from UK to Australia will be a killer! 8^) Good luck, regardless!
  • 02-08-2009
    The Moontrane
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acid_rider
    I have only a partial answer. I bought Spec footbed (blue insoles) and their in-shoe wedges. i have 19 degree varus on right leg and 7 degree on left leg, professionally measured. Also my right leg 4.5mm shorter than left (3mm lower leg and 1.5mm femur/hip). The blue footbeds did not make any positive or negative difference to me i.e. waste of money, standard insoles work as well. The in-shoe wedges, like the Spec BG shoes, also do not work very effectively, they bulk up the inside of the shoe and you need a lot of wedging to correct the varus or to shim the foot - forefoot only. So I now use the BFS cleat-based wedges+shims (formerly LeWedge), they are vastly more effective because they tilt the whole foot, not just the forefoot like BG shoes/wedges. I also counterstack several of BFS wedges to form a 5mm shim to compensate for my short leg. Works much better. Also note that Spec BG shoes have built-in 1.5mm varus on each foot which wont work very well if you dont want any varus tilt or a lot of tilt. My left knee does not like any tilt at all. So be careful with those Spec BG shoes, if both your feet like a litte varus tilt these shoes *might* work, otherwise I suggest you stick with regular shoes and cleat-based wedges, it allows for a lot more flexibility.

Re Spec BG cycle-fit or cyclefit in UK, I have no idea. I was fitted by Steve Hogg in Sydney Australia, I can highly recommend that but the flight price from UK to Australia will be a killer! 8^) Good luck, regardless!

You can overcome the issue of bulking up by getting shoes that do have enough volume. I would be flopping around inside my Northwaves if I used the Northwave insole. I specifically bought the Northwaves to accommodate my custom orthotics, which add some bulk.

I was not comfortable using wedges to tilt the entire shoe to correct a forefoot issue. My orthotic has 2mm valgus built into the forefoot. I know that many people use LeWedges, so they can be effective.

BTW, I did not like the built-in varus of the BG shoes at all. Like you stated, “if both your feet like a litte varus tilt these shoes *might* work.”

I have no other experience with the Specialized BG Fit set up.
  • 02-08-2009
    Originalyappa
    Re Spec BG cycle-fit or cyclefit in UK, I have no idea. I was fitted by Steve Hogg in Sydney Australia, I can highly recommend that but the flight price from UK to Australia will be a killer! 8^) Good luck, regardless![/QUOTE]

What was your experience of Steve, i am heading back to Sydney later on in the year, did you do the 'cyclefit' or 'framefit' with him? I have had a couple of conversations with him over the phone, he seems like a geniune guy.
  • 02-09-2009
    acid_rider
    full treatment
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalyappa

What was your experience of Steve, i am heading back to Sydney later on in the year, did you do the 'cyclefit' or 'framefit' with him? I have had a couple of conversations with him over the phone, he seems like a geniune guy.[/QUOTE]

I had a full cycle-fit, took ~4 hours. i flew to Sydney from Melbourne (1 hour flight).
    i took my bike, shoes, socks, bibs with me and Steve did the rest. He has a special trainer for this job. I ended up getting new pedals (Speedplay Zero) and new seat (Selle SMP). I wanted Selle SMP so it was very much my idea but Steve thinks highly of Selle SMP seats. The Speedplay Zero pedals were chosen to get more of my foot over pedal axle (long toes, long size 45 foot) with Speedplay extender metal baseplates. I ended up with couple of shims (slightly shorter right leg) and a varus wedge too (minor expenses) on right leg only. Steve repositioned bars, hoods, stem, pedals, seat, shims, wedges, etc. I had to do a lot of hard work on the trainer so he could see me working hard under high load because positioning issues really get fleshed out when you are forced to work hard - like climbing for example. He made lots of chances as I kept on pedalling. Highly recommended. He really knows his stuff. Money well spent. I have met several of Steve's customers on the roads in Melbourne before and since, 100% positive feedback from them all. My only regret is that I did not do this sooner. I kept suffering on the bike for ~3+ years before I decided to go see Steve Hogg. Your mileage may vary. Steve did say I was a relatively complex customer to get sorted. He recommended I see a health professional to get myself posturally aligned and symmetrical. I have done so since with good results. Steve does not use any formulas, he looks at you a individual in static and dynamic way and then he makes positional changes. At the end you get a book with all your details and bike geometry measures.