Bike fit - how much wt on bars
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Bike fit - how much wt on bars

I'm trying to resolve some saddle sore issues and in doing so, I've lowered the nose of my saddle in an attempt to relieve some of the pressure on my jewels by forcing me sit more on my sit-bones. This does seem to help, but now I really notice how much weight is on my arms. Will I get used to this (there was practically none before as my saddle was pointing kind of high) ? In the "new" position, the saddle is pretty much level with ground (i.e. the normal position you would see when manufacurers release photos of their bikes).

Thanks,

Rob
    "Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

more to it...

Saddle angle is important and if you do not have a seat post with a 2-bolt clamp that allows fine adjustment of the saddle angle, then you are at a disadvantage. You saddle could now be tilted a bit too far down,

Saddle fore/aft position is also important. Placing the saddle further forward places more weight on the hands.

Abdominal and back strength are also important to keep the weight off your hands. Ideally, there should be very little weight on your hands. If you have enough strength and proper weight balance, a single finger on each hand should support your weight.

RoadBikeReview Member

Try a new saddle.

Most everyone here has gone through many saddles to find one that will work for their anatomy. I was plagued with saddle sores for a few years, tried antibotic wipes before riding , hanging my shorts in the sun. It wasn't due to germs but pressure points. Even chamois creams wouldn't help. Finding the right saddle did. When you do find the right one, you will not have any of the slipping forward or pain. Look in the reviews to see what most people find to work and start there. The Fizik Aliante was the one for me. Real comfy now. Good Luck