Bike fit question?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Bike fit question?

Ok, I broke rule #1 in buying a bike, I bought a bike direct from lynskey without trying it out, I went by there size chart, so I got the bike an one issue is that my toes hit the front tire when starting off riding, my toes are 2 1/2 inches past the tire is this consider a big bike fit issue. Oh I wear a size 12 shoe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    Ok, I broke rule #1 in buying a bike, I bought a bike direct from lynskey without trying it out, I went by there size chart, so I got the bike an one issue is that my toes hit the front tire when starting off riding, my toes are 2 1/2 inches past the tire is this consider a big bike fit issue. Oh I wear a size 12 shoe.
    No. Bike design issue maybe, or bad selection for someone who doesn't want to overlap, but it doesn't really have anything to do with fit per se.

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    How can anyone say w/o seeing you on the bike? I have toe overlap on pretty much every road bike I've ever had, definitely a bunch of it on every track bike...and I have size 41 feet/shoes. It was only ever a very minor issue on the track bike on the infield or going really slowly in match sprints.

I will say that 2.5" is pretty major.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    How can anyone say w/o seeing you on the bike?
    Right. To clarity my first post: That's not to say the bike fits you. But that having toe overlap doesn't mean it doesn't fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Size 12? OMG, that bike is going to be huge!

How many times a year do I notice toe overlap riding a bike? .... zero, well, maybe once, in a parking lot.
    BANNED

banned
    Apr 2009
    I suppose chopping off the offending toes is not a solution you are willing to consider?

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I thought all road bikes have toe overlap, at least that's my experience. Need to learn not to make tight turns with outside foot in the 3 o'clock position. Some of this may have to do with cleat location, I've always put my cleats back as far as possible for my set-up, and I have size 11's. There are a lot of other factors, but I would not worry about frame size, if that is the only issue.

A pretty good article on cleat position...
    https://neillsbikefit.com.au/?page_id=348

Everything is a trade off, so if the overlap really bothers you, you could try moving your cleats fwd, which will pull your toes back. Obviously not 2+" but it might give you some more wriggle room, and give your calf muscles extra definition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc View Post
    I've always put my cleats back as far as possible for my set-up, and I have size 11's.
    Your starting point should be positioning the ball of the foot over the pedal spindle, and fine-tune the adjustment from there. Don't slam the foot all the way back to minimize overlap. I know some people that run size 46-47 and they don't have any issues.

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    for ball of the foot over spindle, I could even go further back, but limited by the cleat slots. I even had a professional fitter say I should try to move the cleats back more, but then he realized the same thing, back as far as they could already go without buying new shoes. Very comfortable for me as-is, so I ignore toe overlap - or at least avoid it happening while riding.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Not a good idea to move your cleats forward to compensate for toe overlap.

I have size 12 feet and yes, I have toe overlap on every road bike I've ever been on. If you don't want toe overlap, you need to move to something like a gravel bike. No toe overlap on my Jamis Renegade.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Same problem here for myself. 6'3", size 12 shoes, although I can fit into some 45 size road shoes (short toes on a long foot with a high arch..), which cuts the overlap issue down. My MTB shoes are size 11.5. Toe overlap is something you'll have to learn to live with if you ride a racing/aggressive frame. If overlap is a big issue for yourself, look for something in a rando or light-touring frame; these always have longer wheelbases.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Same problem here for myself. 6'3", size 12 shoes, although I can fit into some 45 size road shoes (short toes on a long foot with a high arch..), which cuts the overlap issue down. My MTB shoes are size 11.5. Toe overlap is something you'll have to learn to live with if you ride a racing/aggressive frame. If overlap is a big issue for yourself, look for something in a rando or light-touring frame; these always have longer wheelbases.
    Well I presume being 6'3" helps since you are on a larger frame. I'm 5'10" with size 12 shoes and ride a 56 frame. Toe overlap is a given for me on road bikes.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I will say that 2.5" is pretty major.
    This is the part that befuddles me a bit. Toe overlap is VERY common, but 2.5" is a BIG number.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    This is the part that befuddles me a bit. Toe overlap is VERY common, but 2.5" is a BIG number.
    Some has to ask, so I'll take the bullet ... fork facing backwards?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Funny you brought up if the forks are backwards! I built up a monster cross (mtn bike with road bars) and when I put the handlebars on I put them on backwards as the fork was a manito (which is backwards from all others). I rode it for about 2 months before I realized my mistake. It was a little awkward starting up, but after rolling hardly any difference to me. I turned them around properly and it's still a little awkward starting up.
    I got 3/4" toe overlap on my road bike.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Some has to ask, so I'll take the bullet ... fork facing backwards?
    I think that would be A LOT more than a 2.5" overlap.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Well after comparing my size 58cm Roubaix spec's to the size L Lynskey R300(which is claimed to fit a 6"0 to 6'2" person), I'm 6'1", part of the issue is wheelbase and rake angle on the Lynskey, it is a little bit shorter and has a little less rake angle, I have a little toe overlap on the Roubaix, but have seldom bump the front tire when taking off. Today when I rode I was a little more conscience of it, and it was not as big of a issue, other than the toe overlap I'm happy with the fit of the Lynskey.