Bike manufacturers that are known for LONG top tube but a SHORT seat tube
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Bike manufacturers that are known for LONG top tube but a SHORT seat tube

I am pretty much turning around a previous thread - looking for a bike frame with a standard geometry, 56cm seat tube and a 57cm top tube.

This is for a friend of mine who is 5'10 with a long torso.

Any suggestions other than custom (he already has an older custom steel frame with those measurements and is looking for something new)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chris Chance! Good luck finding one.

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by alexchic
    I am pretty much turning around a previous thread - looking for a bike frame with a standard geometry, 56cm seat tube and a 57cm top tube.

This is for a friend of mine who is 5'10 with a long torso.

Any suggestions other than custom (he already has an older custom steel frame with those measurements and is looking for something new)?
    Most of the Time bikes....
    I'm about 6' with long torso and I can go either M or L.
    Took you long enough for your first post?

A Story of Love
    Old Bridgestones are that way, if you're okay with used/classic. Late '80s to mid-90s versions... don't know about earlier than that.

Loooong top tubes, long front-center relative to the chainstays. Designed to stretch you out.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SS: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Has it been a while since he's looked at bikes?

With sloping top tubes I'd think there are tons of bikes he could fit on.

Adventure Seeker
    Compact frames fit that description. You can also get custom fit bikes.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya
    Compact frames fit that description. You can also get custom fit bikes.
    Agree with this. With compact frames you look at the length of the virtual top tube. the seattube will be very short. a compact with a 56 Cm virtual toptube may have anywhere from a 50 to a 54 seattube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    take a look at Wilier. -- just fit yourself to the top Tube... don't worry about the C-C seat tube. The Cento is expensive but the Izoard is quite a bit cheaper but same frame sizes..

http://www.wilier-usa.com/#/road/cento-uno/

or

http://www.wilier-usa.com/#/road/izoard/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    check out the Garry fisher line of bikes. they tend to be a bit long in the top..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks, folks. Will look at all the suggestions.

Any more?

@cpark: Just a few years for the first post, better late than never, right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride a LeMond Zurich and it's a compact frame with a longer top tube. Alas, they are no longer made but if one came up in classified it might be worth a look.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

education...

The seat tube length has no effect on the fit. Vertical sizing is really determined by the head tube length, including the headset.

The TT length, by itself, does not define the frame's reach. The seat tube angle also affects the reach.

If you want relevant advice, post an actual saddle height to go with the overall height. An estimated saddle to bar drop is important too.

Those with short legs are best served by sloping TT frames, but not the recreational models with the 20-30mm taller head tubes, unless the rider want very little saddle to bar drop.

I gave advice to a 5'-10" rider just this morning. He only has an 80.6cm cycling inseam and thought that his 53cm Colnago might be too small. The frame fit perfectly for his legs. He just needed a 130mm stem to accomodate his long torso.

A common mistake is sizing by the rider's height. That results in a too-large frame that the rider can barely stand over. There is nothing wrong with using a 130-140mm stem to accomodate a long torso. Another common mistake is using KOP to set the saddle fore/aft position. Longer torsos need more setback to balance the rider over the saddle. Moving the saddle further back solves most of the reach problem, so the rider may end up using a very normal 110-120mm stem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I have new, only used 10 miles, katusha ridley noah frame 2010 in medium which would fit your friend perfectly. 56.5 top tub and a 54 seat tube. I am on the other spectrum. long legs short torso. I am going a to get a small one. Like some one else suggested a compact frame will be ideal. The rildey also has a tall head tube. Let me know, and either way good luck.

A 56 or a 55 pinarello would also fit your friend perfectly.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    De Rosas usually have long top tubes. Take a look at Giants, too. Very long top tubes.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Cannondales, IMO have a longer TT than most bikes specced at the "same size."

duh...
    when you take STA into consideration, most all modern bikes fit the avg body proportions

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid