Bike Question

Thread: Bike Question

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019

Bike Question

We have a friend that fixes old bikes and then donates them to folks who need them.
    My 12 yr old son outgrew his bike and my friend said he had a couple bikes that my son could pick from (for free) in next to new condition. A cool gift I think & we went and my son picked one out today. Our friend also hooked him up with a bike tool, an air pump, a light, a bike lock, and an under the seat pouch. He is pretty excited about it and he can't wait to ride it around town.
    Anyhoo, the bike is a Royce Union 800 and outside of people not really caring for Royce Union bikes, I can sum up all the information I have found on it in two words: "jack" and "squat." I was wondering if someone could help might be able help out a bit. I am looking for a manual, quirks of the bike, maintenance tips, etc. My son is not an avid bike rider and only rides recreationally (much like me) but he wants to maintain it himself.
    Thanks in advance for your help. It is most appreciated. I can provide a picture later if needed.
    Thanks again.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I would ask your friend that gifted the bike to your son to spend some time with your son to teach him how to maintain the bike and to do simple repairs. Maybe thank him with a nice bottle of scotch (single malt, 12 y/o would be my choice). Don't get too hung up about it being a Royce Union - the brand really only applies to the frame, not the components which are fairly standard.

You might also want to check with some local shops and bike clubs to see if they hold bike repair clinics that your son could attend.
    Last edited by AlanE; 12-09-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by histreenut View Post
    I was wondering if someone could help might be able help out a bit. I am looking for a manual, quirks of the bike, maintenance tips, etc.
    Bicycles don't typically come with manuals, other than generic safety info and how to attach a wheel. Even $10,000 bikes.
    Bicycle manufacturers don't really make anything other than the frame (which doesn't need a manual). They spec out the components from companies like Shimano and Sram. You'd have to go to them for specific instructions.

But check out this site. It should cover everything you need.
    https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

Also youtube. Many many great instructional videos.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Never Give Up!
    What tlg said, the internet is your best friend... both sites Park Tools and YouTube is full of very useful information that will keep your son engaged and informed.
    Last edited by ROAD&DIRT; 12-09-2019 at 06:21 AM.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Thanks for all the help. My son is excited about the bike. It's raining right now, so he is a little sad he might be able to ride it today.
    The link is great help as my is a bit of a computer geek, so that is much appreciated.
    I am actually going to take him and his older brother to our friend's house in a few weeks. My friend had some trees cut down which he saved for me as I burn wood. Coincidentally, he has another load of bikes he is going to be working on. So, while I split the wood, they are going to get some lessons in bike repair and maintenance....essentially "pay" for their bikes. My son is also excited about that as well.
    Thank you again for all the help.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by histreenut View Post
    We have a friend that fixes old bikes and then donates them to folks who need them.
    My 12 yr old son outgrew his bike and my friend said he had a couple bikes that my son could pick from (for free) in next to new condition. A cool gift I think & we went and my son picked one out today. Our friend also hooked him up with a bike tool, an air pump, a light, a bike lock, and an under the seat pouch. He is pretty excited about it and he can't wait to ride it around town.
    Anyhoo, the bike is a Royce Union 800 and outside of people not really caring for Royce Union bikes, I can sum up all the information I have found on it in two words: "jack" and "squat." I was wondering if someone could help might be able help out a bit. I am looking for a manual, quirks of the bike, maintenance tips, etc. My son is not an avid bike rider and only rides recreationally (much like me) but he wants to maintain it himself.
    Thanks in advance for your help. It is most appreciated. I can provide a picture later if needed.
    Thanks again.

Your friend sounds awesome. YouTube is also a great source of knowledge in this regard as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Your friend sounds awesome. YouTube is also a great source of knowledge in this regard as well.
    He is pretty a pretty neat guy...retired, very wise, and a pseudo-grandpa for my kiddos & pseudo-dad for me as my folks are gone.
    We're pretty blessed by him.

Russian Troll Farmer
    An old Royce-Union is probably as simple a bike as you'll find today, and likely one he will be wanting to 'move up' to something better as he outgrows it. If he wants to learn how to fix it himself, don't worry, because these old things are rugged and worth almost nothing. And heavy, very heavy......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    But be careful of the source of the You Tube video. I've seen some pretty ham fisted mechanics on You Tube.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein