bike rack

Thread: bike rack

Jul 2004

bike rack

Any suggestions for an inexpensive bike rack for a '98 Ford Taurus or the top of a '00 Audi A6 Avant?

Arrogant roadie.....
    Inexpensive? Get a piece of carpet and 8 bungee cords......
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Stohler
    Inexpensive? Get a piece of carpet and 8 bungee cords......

I'll clarify...

Costco has a nice Softride rack for the back of a truck for $129 (3 or 4 bikes). I would like something comparable for my car. The carpet and bungee cords probably fall into the next category below what I was thinking. But thanks anywan.

;)

Arrogant roadie.....
    Well, I can imagine the damage that a $129 trunk rack will do when 4 bikes are loaded to it...

Seriously, the $300 a good Yakima system costs is well worth the money.
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

Jun 2004
    if you wish to use a rack that will be interchangeable between both of those cars, i would recommend a yakima mighty joe or mo joe strap-style trunk rack. these racks have come a long way since the early generation of strap style racks, and will carry 3 bikes comfortably. road bikes or mountain bikes.
    it is unlikely that you have a 1 1/4" receiver hitch on both of these vehicles, and based on your price range, this isn't an option, so you won't be able to use a hitch mounted bike rack.
    if you wish to use the audi, you can mount a very secure solid rack to the siderail that runs front to back on the roof of the audi. you can add the copperhead, fork mounted bike rack to it, and probably get out of there for about $400 for 2 bikes with lock cores.

in my honest opinion, using the roof is really the strongest and most effective....it also gives you loads more versatility than mounting a trunk rack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have a Yakima roof rack Steelhead fork mount- and love it.

HOWEVER, I recently installed a hitch for $85 (1800hitchit or something like that- PM me if you want details) and then I bought a Softride with a 1.25 inch thingy, not the 2 inch (same rack, smaller receiver thingy).

I find myself using it more and more and unlike the Yakima/Thule/Saris racks, it's really heavy duty and very convenient. Now when I have 4 bikes to load or if I'm driving a long distance, I use the roof rack but 90% of the time, I find myself using the Softride (I paid $150 shipped).

Both are nice and a roof rack is unbeatable in many ways but the Softride is easier (no wheel removal or overhead lifting) to live with. Plus when I go mtn biking and my bike is all muddy, I'd rather just throw it at the back.

shammytime
    Jun 2004

Bike's swinging into one another?

With the softride - or other 'hanging' hitch racks' - what prevents the bikes from hitting each other (or the back of your car/truck)? i've found my (roofmount) thule racks/accessories to be a good investment; some of my parts are 15 years-old.

Jun 2004
    yakima's new kingpin and fullswing series of racks have a redesigned cradle system that will not only accomodate different bike frame geometry, but also carry bikes with 3 points of contact, which eliminates side-to-side sway.