Bike ticket trial success
    RoadBikeReview Member

Bike ticket trial success

I got a ticket 6 weeks ago for failing to stop at a stop sign on my bike. The base fine, just like for a vehicle, was $242. It was a dead quiet, 4-way stop.

My trial came up yesterday. After all the easy cases were taken care of, no-shows, guilty pleas, plea deals worked out with the officers, we got down to the disputed cases. Mine was first.

The officer read the facts of the citation from his copy of the ticket. When he got to the location, he said, "well, it says 35th Ave, but it could have been 34th. I've amended a few of the tickets I wrote that day. I might want to amend the citation." The judge said it was too late for that. The officer finished and it was my turn.

I started with a satellite view of the area where the citation was written, asking the officer to mark which intersection he was talking about. The judge stopped me and asked if I was going to argue that the citation listed the wrong location for the infraction. I said yes. The judge said fine, and dismissed the case. Done.

It was all quite nice. The officer laid the groundwork for my argument that despite whatever he described as happening at 34th Avenue, he hadn't presented any facts about what happened at the location listed in the ticket - 35th Avenue. The judge picked up that that was going to be my argument, and jumped to the conclusion for me that there was no evidence of a violation at the location listed in the ticket. Case dismissed. The whole trial lasting less than 5 minutes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Back in college, my defense to the Judge for running a stop sign, was "a rather large dog was chasing me. I didn't want to stop at the sign to see what would happen".

He asked me if this was really the truth, so I crossed my fingers on the hand by my side and said "yes sir, it is".

Case dismissed.

I'm prolly going to hell, but not for that little lie...

jps

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2003
    Good for you. Congratulations!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps
    Back in college, my defense to the Judge for running a stop sign, was "a rather large dog was chasing me. I didn't want to stop at the sign to see what would happen".

He asked me if this was really the truth, so I crossed my fingers on the hand by my side and said "yes sir, it is".

Case dismissed.

I'm prolly going to hell, but not for that little lie...

jps
    I used to think the whole dog chasing thing was all BS, a fiction from american flyers. They all just hang in their yard.

A pitbul taught me otherwise last fall. and dammit if it wasn't uphill!

i thought he was on a long leash but when it was too late he was about 10' to my left and coming strong. A quick sprint dropped him but that dog easily hit 25 in chase!
    I'm sure he just wanted to play, either with me or my leg but i wasn't going to find out which.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    I got a ticket 6 weeks ago for failing to stop at a stop sign on my bike. The base fine, just like for a vehicle, was $242. It was a dead quiet, 4-way stop.
    Was it one of the traffic demonstration areas where you got the ticket? You know, the intersections where there were signs all over the place that said there would be traffic enforcement that day for vehicles and bicycles?

EDIT: No it wasn't. The most recent enforcement actions wouldn't have coincided with 6 weeks ago and neither was in the vacinity of 34th (or 35th).

Anyway, glad you got off.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    Was it one of the traffic demonstration areas where you got the ticket? You know, the intersections where there were signs all over the place that said there would be traffic enforcement that day for vehicles and bicycles?

EDIT: No it wasn't. The most recent enforcement actions wouldn't have coincided with 6 weeks ago and neither was in the vacinity of 34th (or 35th).
    Officer said he was parked there at the request of residents, not as a cyclist demonstartion area. There is a school nearby and i'm sure that cars zip through there. Of course, at 150 to 200 times the weight, a car is that much more of a hazard to pedestrians, nee, kids. That's why the fine seemed grossly disproportionate. While waiting for trial I heard that the fine for driving while suspended is $312, or something. It's amazing to think that rolling through a stop at a clear intersection on a bike a fined almost as much as driving while suspended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    good to see the officer spent his time well and was ticketing the highly dangerous cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PdxMark
    Officer said he was parked there at the request of residents, not as a cyclist demonstartion area. There is a school nearby and i'm sure that cars zip through there. Of course, at 150 to 200 times the weight, a car is that much more of a hazard to pedestrians, nee, kids. That's why the fine seemed grossly disproportionate. While waiting for trial I heard that the fine for driving while suspended is $312, or something. It's amazing to think that rolling through a stop at a clear intersection on a bike a fined almost as much as driving while suspended.

if your license is suspended, it's likely for some pretty serious infractions. a fine of $312 is a frickin' joke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    For those of you in Oregon, note that the ticket prices were raised ALOT 3 years ago.

Of course, I just movd to Washington State where the ticket for out of state license is $600, the ticket for not licensing your vehicle in the state is around $500. OUCH!