Black seatposts more uncomfortable than silver.
    Old and Fixed, Moderator

Black seatposts more uncomfortable than silver.

Fashion sense took the place of common sense so I decided to swap out the seat post on my Bike Friday. On Monday, I replaced the silver seat post with the exact same model in black.

I measured the fore/aft saddle position was well as the height and tilt and installed the post/saddle using the same measurements.

The first ride on my new black post and my knees and "the boys" were killing me. I"ve been adjusting the saddle a few millimeters at a time and last night, I finally got it dialed in. It took 4 days of tinkering to get the adjustments corrected.

We talk a lot about bike fit on RBR but few millimeters DOES makes a big difference
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

NeoRetroGrouch
    Silver is definitely faster. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

shouldn't be that hard...

One of the tricks I've discovered is that it's important to find sharp edges that improve measuring accuracy. To insure the same saddle height, I measure from the edge of the crank's dust cover hole to the lower edge of the saddle, a specific distance from the nose.

I measure reach diagonally from the saddle tip to the center of handlebars, or one of the parting lines between the stem and it's face plate. This is only accurate on different bikes, if they use the same bars. If different bars are used, then a 1" dowel spanning between the brake hoods is handy for taking a reference dimension fom the saddle tip to the dowel. Then the combination of stem length, handlebar reach and brake hood position are taken into account. With different bars, it's also appropriate to compare the drop from the saddle to the brake hoods, rather than handlebar drop.

I use a level placed on the tail of the saddle and record the distance from the nose to the bottom of the level, when it and the bike are horizontal.

Apparently I'm not too sensitive to saddle height or fore/aft adjustment. After riding for the last couple of years with my knee about 3cm behind the pedal spindle, I moved the saddle forward 2cm, up 6mm, combined with a 10mm longer stem. Didn't have any knee or saddle discomfort issues, but I was definitely using the legs muscles differently in this position.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    One of the tricks I've discovered is that it's important to find sharp edges that improve measuring accuracy. To insure the same saddle height, I measure from the edge of the crank's dust cover hole to the lower edge of the saddle, a specific distance from the nose.
    I think that's part of my problem. When I measure saddles, I measure from the center of the dust cap to the center of the saddle rails(same saddle and crankarm length on all my bikes) Neither point is a sharp edge nor a specific line. Next time I'll pick sharp edges...

Thanks
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Same goes for saddles..

I have two San Marco Rolls saddles. One has been on my main ride since March. I dedcided to set up another seatpost and used the new unused one and it did not feel comfortable, it hurt my butt. It was set up the same as my old Rolls . A few weeks ago I decided to give the new saddle a go (again). Again it did not feel comfortable. While on a ride I stopped and made a very small change in the tilt (more aft) and that did the trick. although it feels comfortable, my old Rolls just feels better. So I wonder if some saddle are just more comfortable than others...

As for colors, I find that black saddles are more practicable and easier to keep clean, but white saddles look spiffy, are hard to keep clean but are more comfortable..

I also find that the cheaper something is, the better it works..

banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    I have two San Marco Rolls saddles. One has been on my main ride since March. I dedcided to set up another seatpost and used the new unused one and it did not feel comfortable, it hurt my butt. It was set up the same as my old Rolls . A few weeks ago I decided to give the new saddle a go (again). Again it did not feel comfortable. While on a ride I stopped and made a very small change in the tilt (more aft) and that did the trick. although it feels comfortable, my old Rolls just feels better. So I wonder if some saddle are just more comfortable than others...

As for colors, I find that black saddles are more practicable and easier to keep clean, but white saddles look spiffy, are hard to keep clean but are more comfortable..

I also find that the cheaper something is, the better it works..

exactly.. that's why people should always be paid minimum wages so they won't spend on bad expensive stuff.

Strained coccyx etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    Fashion sense took the place of common sense so I decided to swap out the seat post on my Bike Friday.

love ya dave, but those two terms have no place in the same utterance.

there's something wrong with this picture. ;)
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by J's Haiku Shop
    love ya dave, but those two terms have no place in the same utterance.

there's something wrong with this picture. ;)
    great point...beauty is in the eye's of the beholder. Ray Charles's eyes... ;)
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

Strained coccyx etc etc
    great point...beauty is in the eye's of the beholder. Ray Charles's eyes... ;)
    at least it's not a tandem.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

banned
    Jul 2005
    Fashion sense took the place of common sense so I decided to swap out the seat post on my Bike Friday. On Monday, I replaced the silver seat post with the exact same model in black.

I measured the fore/aft saddle position was well as the height and tilt and installed the post/saddle using the same measurements.

The first ride on my new black post and my knees and "the boys" were killing me. I"ve been adjusting the saddle a few millimeters at a time and last night, I finally got it dialed in. It took 4 days of tinkering to get the adjustments corrected.

We talk a lot about bike fit on RBR but few millimeters DOES makes a big difference
    taking your statement for the RECORD (in a quote, and by Campagnolo) I oppose in what you're saying. A Carbon-Fiber seatpost === "BLACK" (not to be discrimininating). That's the best seat post there is today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... once you go black...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Are you familiar with the Princess and the Pea?

A few mm is not going to make that much difference; what about shorts with different thickness padding, or different thicknesses of socks?

Please.

banned
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    Silver is definitely faster. - TF
    unless it's carbon-fiber (BLACK)